Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South East & East Anglia Regional Weather Discussion 18/12/13

Snowangel-MK

Posted

You make an interesting point there John. I think they are indeed waiting for today's model updates. I don't know if anyone else follows weather people on twitter but to me they all seem pretty quiet at the moment apart from Schafernaker with a brief tweet this morning. Hopefully by 18z tonight we should have a better ideas but I notice that bbc and sky are at least mentioning it now.

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, blue sky summers, misty,frosty autumns!

Thank you Coast for the update. It looks pretty awful. Am taking your advice and moving things to sheltered spots in the garden as much as I can.

I think we will all be on here checking the latest updates as this storm develops.

We will have to keep our fingers crossed that the damage is not too great.

Posted

Yes - thanks everyone - ! I'm hopping on a train to Scotland in one hour instead of tomorrow noon (my previously booked ticket) and supremely grateful for all the expertise…! Merry Christmas and good luck!

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer:sunny, some Thunder,Winter:cold & snowy spells,Other:transitional

For those that may not have seen it, there is a dedicated thread with lots of valuable input (aside from my jokes) in it regarding the stormy run up to Christmas.

http://forum.netweather.tv/topic/78796-possible-severe-atlantic-storms-over-the-christmas-period/page-26#entry2869042

Edited by gottolovethisweather

Posted

I see Metcheck's downgraded just to under 70MPH wind gusts, but it's now extended the gusts around 60MPH from 9am through to 3am!

I can't see my brother flying Dublin-Southend tomorrow now. I might even work from home as I don't want to get stuck in London.

Edited by SteveCoops
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cool not cold, warm not hot. No strong Wind.

Spoke too soon regarding sun etc, turned wet and dull again here.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder Storms. All extreme weather.

Mornin each. Lovely and sunny with clear skies here in Ipswich right now. Weird to think this may all change in a few hours time.

I hope everyone is ok and your plans are coming together despite the stormy outlook. As usual, I have last minuet panics. :( Oh well, it'll be right.

Thank you everyone for the updates. You're all marvellous. :) your better than the BBC. :)

Have a good day. :D

• Like 3

Posted

....and sunny with blue skies here again now. (still not done the washing up *doh!*)

Posted

Not going to be very nice at all... Plus the time it is hitting could not be worse..

Have come up with this little map having gone through the latest model run ..

Posted Imagestorm warning.jpg

Just key for our area:

Purple (kent) : It looks like the isobars really tighten up for a couple of hours and I actually think we could see some very impressive gusts over Dover ETC this is where we will see our highest gusts perhaps 80mph +

Red area Coast : 75MPH tops maybe - 80mph gusts in exposed spots 

Red area London and other inland areas: 65-70mph gusts , again on higher ground and open exposed places a 75mph gust perhaps a tad high can't be ruled out..

yellow area: 60-65mph, again a 70mph can't be ruled out...

Thank you for taking the time to do this, it reallly hels those of us like me who don't really understand the isobar charts.

I've only just got up and its very calm here seems warmer than it did yesterday.I had a very disturbed night not only with my own breathing difficulties, but poor Smokey had an accident and cut her leg, we wanted to stop her flying about and making it worse, as she was holding the leg up, so Southernman placed her in one half of a shoebox on some bubble wrap, and brought her to me, and of course being worried about her, I sent most of the night stroking and comforting her and she seemed quite comfortable on the bubble wrap, then at first light she woke up and seemed to be using the leg again with no problem.

• Like 1

Posted

heres what the 00z runs show from fax and ukmo for monday through to tuesday

monday 12

Posted Image

winds  increasing during the day from just before lunchtime

gusting to around 40 mph maybe 50mph southern coastal areas

ukmo

Posted Image

agreement there

sustained winds around 30 mph

Posted Image

expect some very heavy rain as well

temps irrelevant

ukmo at 42

Posted Image

sustained south west winds around 40 mph

gusts around 50mph maybe 60 mph around the far south east area

rain

Posted Image

still very heavy rain

flooding also an issue now

temps again unimportant

tuesday 00

Posted Image

very tight isobars

sustained winds still around 40 mph

severe gusts possible up to 80 mph possible gusts of 90 mph to the far south east of the region

ukmo

Posted Image

agrees with fax and you can see how tight the isobars are there

Posted Image

rain still very heavy

jet for same time

Posted Image

Posted Image

strong enough to cause issues evening overnight

should ease around 3-4 in the morning

this is not my forecast

will wait until the 12z run to do it properly

oh and i fixed my internet Posted Image

Edited by john pike
  • Like 8

Posted

Morning all,The wind will cause some damage but dont forget the rain. We've had a lot, and a lot more to come. I feel its likely we will see railway disruption with embankments and cuttings being sodden and possibly overloading their drainage. Landslips are very possible.

I think you are right and don't forget that there are places where the river banks haven't recovered from the last flooding so there's nothing to stop further flooding.no time for repairs to have been made yet.Also the roots of many trees haven't dried out yet so they may fall very easily.

Posted

Thank you for taking the time to do this, it reallly hels those of us like me who don't really understand the isobar charts.

I've only just got up and its very calm here seems warmer than it did yesterday.I had a very disturbed night not only with my own breathing difficulties, but poor Smokey had an accident and cut her leg, we wanted to stop her flying about and making it worse, as she was holding the leg up, so Southernman placed her in one half of a shoebox on some bubble wrap, and brought her to me, and of course being worried about her, I sent most of the night stroking and comforting her and she seemed quite comfortable on the bubble wrap, then at first light she woke up and seemed to be using the leg again with no problem.

Smokey OK now?

Posted

Smokey OK now?

She seems to be, we'll continue to keep an eye on her.I hate it when something happens to a pet you love, how these wicked idiots you read about in the news can mistreat their animals, i have no idea.

edit to say that of course if she appears in distress i will call the emergency vet.

Edited by JennyJane1
  • Like 2

Posted
Monday 23rd December 2013

Weather reports for Monday 23 December indicate that the Sussex area will see heavy persistent rain across the region with wind speeds of between 50-60 mph from 16:00 on Monday through to 09:00 Tuesday 24th December. During this time we may see winds gusting up to 80mph.

The high winds will require Southern to reduce our operating speed to 50mph, this reduction in speed will require some trains to be cancelled and others, particularly on main line and coastal routes will be subject to delay. 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: The most likely outcome. The MJO is only half the story!

That latest updated METO warning underlines the needed perspectivePosted Image 90 mph wind gusts are more likely in the far NW later on Tuesday. 70 to 80mph gusts is more than enough anyway down here towards the coast...and is in line with the ensemble predictions posted earlier of up to Force 9 windspeeds

Better hope that the attic roof doesn't leak like the St Jude's storm when the rain was driven in through the tiles, and everything else obviously stays intact too. The 'fun' of living by the English Channel in winter gales when the wind comes blasting off the seaPosted Image

• Like 4

Posted

Gone Amber for rain ladies and gents

And at last, EA has an alert. Crikey! :O

Posted

Smokey OK now?

I can relax a bit now, she's eating, which she wasn't doing last night, seems very hungry and is snaffling peanuts and sunflower seeds.Also she's putting her weight on both legs again.The bleeding appears to have stopped and she has just a long dark scab at the top of her leg.

We'll still keep an eye on her but I feel much happier about it.I'll probably bring her to bed with me again tonight just in case, then I can keep an eye on her in the night.

• Like 1

Posted

this could  easily out due the  great storm  will not  be surprised to see  winds  speeds  of 100mph Monday evening not with rush hour in full swing, im trying to tell her  indoors not to go to work all at least work to dinner so i can get her in the  day light  i  don't  fancy flying wheelie bins  and  bus shelters  chasing  me like the great storm  did!!

You saying that, i'm beginning to get very worried about Southernman as he will be out on the river in that from 6 till 10 on monday night, then it takes him about 45 minutes to drive home and a lot of his way home is rural with large trees lining the road.

Posted

She seems to be, we'll continue to keep an eye on her.I hate it when something happens to a pet you love, how these wicked idiots you read about in the news can mistreat their animals, i have no idea. edit to say that of course if she appears in distress i will call the emergency vet.

Yes, there are some evil people around, Jenny Jane. Thank goodness for people like us who love and cherish their animals. I hope Smokey gets better soon. Keep us posted. (On a weather related note) It's clouding up here now and rain is coming. :)
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: As long as it's not North Sea muck, I'll cope.

I can't see we (in the south) are under any wind warnings at all. Not sure whether they are still updating, but I'd be happy for a downgrade. Posted Image

Edited by Steve C
  • Like 2