Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South East & East Anglia Regional Weather Discussion 18/12/13

Snowangel-MK

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

I'm in Bucks, up in the Chiltern Hills.....does anyone know which area to look in the Netweather severe weather warnings?  We are not in East Anglia or down in the South area and the Midlands seems a tad far away...seems we are in weather warning limbo !

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot summers, Storms and epic cold snowy winters

Posted

Posted

That is looking quite severe now Jason! 

Hello Saint hope your ok, Yes very worrying, Not going to be good at all, Going to be problems for sure.

Posted

Hello Saint hope your ok, Yes very worrying, Not going to be good at all, Going to be problems for sure.

I think transport could well take a big hit just before Christmas, I hope most people travel tomorrow morning! 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder Storms. All extreme weather.

We are supposed to be driving over to Lowestoft on Xmas Eve but I expect the worst will be over by then. Will it.........?

Hope there won't be too many trees down. And if there are...hope they don't land on people.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold and snowy winters

Models are now picking up on the signals for cold into the new year, the snow will follow, hopefully on the dates i posted a couple of days ago. 1-3 Jan then 10-16 Jan.

Posted

Travellers are being warned of delays on the East Coast Mainline tomorrow as heavy rain and high winds are forecast.

Network Rail has imposed a 50mph speed restriction for services on the line tomorrow (Monday, December 23) afternoon, between London King’s Cross and Peterborough, with electrified services restricted to 80mph between Peterborough and York from midday onwards.

Services north of York may also be subject to speed restrictions.

East Coast is warning customers intending to travel tomorrow to make their journey today or on Tuesday, if possible.

Posted

We are supposed to be driving over to Lowestoft on Xmas Eve but I expect the worst will be over by then. Will it.........?Hope there won't be too many trees down. And if there are...hope they don't land on people.

there another following  due  just after  boxing  day

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm and sunny; chilly and sunny; thunderstorms; extreme
Ive been in open sea in a F9 and its bad, cannot imagine what a F11 feels like
  • Like 1

Posted

hi fluid

seem some videos of an f11 storm at sea

does not look pretty

i check that site often and f11 predictions are not unusual

but i have not seen them often

waiting for fax charts to come out

edit

just come out

give me a little while to work them out

• Like 1

Posted

storm force   9  should makes  thing fun for  us later!!  hope im home  2morrow nite before it arr  i live near  the Orwell bridge i go over  there about 5   o clock !!!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Location: Bishop's Stortford in England and Klingenmünster in Germany

Well it looks as if this could be troubling.  Round here, no-one seems to take any notice of the forecasts: bins left out/not tied down, parking cars next to walls or buildings which even an optimistic eye would suggest are not in the best state of repair etc.  Presumably another day of train chaos from Greater Anglia?

• Like 1

Posted

Based on the recent models upgrade after upgrade :'( this will now and is looking like the strongest storm to make land in my life time so far (I'm 19)No over hype now 85mph gusts over such heavy populated areas is not good..

I thought you were older than that, based on the way you study the models.

It may well be, if that is correct, the worst storm I've seen in my lifetime and I'm twice your age.I missed the great storm of 1987 as I was abroad at the time.

Posted

Fluid dynamics, had the pleasure of being in a force 11 and 12 going through the bay of Biscay, fantastic experience only boat at sea everyone else had run for cover, waves where extremely large, one hit head on and stop the ship dead in the water, props came out the water and it went dark in the restaurant as the wave went pas the window. Captain said it was a freak wave around the 60' mark. 60% of the guests where in bed and over 50% of crew where. The spray was clearing the top of the funnels, experience me and the wife really enjoyed, funny thing was trying to sleep and kept falling out of bed, but we sorted that by leaving one leg out of bed.

• Like 2

Posted

Ive been in open sea in a F9 and its bad, cannot imagine what a F11 feels like

I've been on the Dover-Calais ferry in an F11, many years ago - I presume today they would not set sail for health and safety.Even then the captain delayed while pondering whether to go or not.It was the most frightening ferry trip of my life, it was not only dipping and surfacing wildly, it was pitching and rolling to the side.I think it was before the Herald of Free Enterprise otherwise i might have been more worried.

People were literally being sick everywhere, i'm not usually travel sick but even my stomache went over a couple of times.

Everything which wasn't tied down was literally flying across the room, the bar or cafeteria was right by us and we saw shelves of things such as plates fly out and smash.

Even staff who must have been used to bad weather were staggering and falling.And in the middle of all this, the captain (I'll never forget him, I think by his accent he was Dutch or Austrian, some kind of gentle German accent anyway) stood upright not holding onto anything, with his arms crossed, surveying the room, as if he was in a parallel universe where the ship was not swaying at all.

• Like 3

Posted

This now from Greater Anglia:

On Monday 23 December the weather forecast indicates that a storm with winds of up to 70mph will affect our network from around 18:00 and throughout the night. Based on this forecast we have taken a decision to run trains at reduced speeds from 18:00 until the end of the day. These speed restrictions will limit the number of trains that we can run, particularly during the evening rush hour and customers who are able to do so are strongly advised to complete their journeys early. We will publish full details of the reduced evening rush hour service tomorrow.

On Tuesday 24 December we do not expect to run any trains on any routes across our Network until 10:00. This is to allow us to run train at low speed along each line on our network in daylight in order to check for damage to overhead wires and/or any debris from the storm.