Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South East & East Anglia Regional Weather Discussion 18/12/13

Snowangel-MK

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.
Iceni, that is unbelievable, I am glad you are helping them out. I really can not believe they won't let them stay till somewhere else is found, and I think they should at least help in finding that somewhere. Chucking someone out anytime of year as soon as a baby is born is just plain wrong.

Weather wise it's dry and bright for now, with a little breeze about.

Posted

Morning all, layed in today, sorry about that.

Posted Image

Posted Image Posted Image

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: anything extreme or intense !

Morning all, thick frost on the car - hopefully the windscreen will have cleared before I need to go out to drop mr P off at work .....if not I'll send him out to scrape it lol

Just 3 more work days until Chrimbo - can't wait fir the break now, whatever the weather I just need a rest, my 6 days off can't come quick enough !

• Like 3

Posted

Morning all,

Well, yesterday evening was certainly lively with that thunder, lightning and hail stones!  As others reported, it did turn a little sleety in the mix as well!

This morning, my car was covered in really thick ice.  It wouldn't scrap off with my window screen scraper, so I decided to run back to the house to grab the can of de-icer Mr Raven bought over the weekend, and well - what can I say, other than the de-icer didn't live up to its name!

Lovely morning out there though, nice to see the sun!

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm and sunny; chilly and sunny; thunderstorms; extreme

Morning all, layed in today, sorry about that. A bright, clear and frosty morning, about sums its up.

Don't forget today will be busy on the roads, it's the day that the building industry decamp from site to home, so watch out for those white vans being driven at 90mph, they are not normally hard to miss though, they the ones 1 foot away from my bumper :-). Have a great POETS day, Infact this week has been the worse week for me health wise I can remember, out of 5 days only made it in twice, not getting there today either, so my Christmas holiday starts today, with me laying on the settee, feeling extremely sorry for my self.

Really bad news is the her indoors has now gone down with the lurgi, could be burning the Christmas dinner myself this year then, must admit if I looked as bad as she does, then boy I was ill, problem with her is she won't take day off work or slow down normally, but I think this time she may have to.

Get well soon CK, sounds like you'll both be ironing the sofa. Crank up the heating and stay put Posted Image

• Like 1

Posted

Morning Robin, morning all.

Iceni that is an incredibly kind thing you have done fair play to you. Charlton see us women are made of stronger stuff we don't give in to these bugs like you men folk do.

Robin yea that's the winds I was talking about the overnight ones should have been a bit clearer. There's still hope that I may acquire your outdoor Christmas lights by stealth!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snowy Weather

Morning all,

Well, yesterday evening was certainly lively with that thunder, lightning and hail stones!  As others reported, it did turn a little sleety in the mix as well!

This morning, my car was covered in really thick ice.  It wouldn't scrap off with my window screen scraper, so I decided to run back to the house to grab the can of de-icer Mr Raven bought over the weekend, and well - what can I say, other than the de-icer didn't live up to its name!

Lovely morning out there though, nice to see the sun!

Morning all,

Hi SR,

It was certainly lively in Chislehurst for a while and not that far behind the worst of this summers thunder events. Winds were very squally, at its peak, with quite a bit of hail around, which made quite a racket against our windows.

Tom.

• Like 2

Posted

Got caught in heavy rain, hail, thunder and lightning around Westminster at 7 just as I was leaving the winter graduation ceremony for the masters students; had planned to walk back along the river to Waterloo but after a few minutes of being pounded by the elements we ducked into Westminster tube to take the drier option. Quite a dramatic few minutes. 

Here are some pics from earlier today, it really was a beautiful walk along the river. 

Posted Image2013-12-19 13.18.56.jpgPosted Image2013-12-19 13.16.02.jpg

Posted Image2013-12-19 13.31.12.jpgPosted Image2013-12-19 13.13.17.jpg

Lovely pics there Reefseeker - a view I see most days at work and never tire of seeing.  The Houses of Parliament, inside of which are full of liars and thieves, the actual building is majestic!

• Like 2

Posted

Morning Robin, morning all.Iceni that is an incredibly kind thing you have done fair play to you. Charlton see us women are made of stronger stuff we don't give in to these bugs like you men folk do.Robin yea that's the winds I was talking about the overnight ones should have been a bit clearer. There's still hope that I may acquire your outdoor Christmas lights by stealth!

Sussex, I known that from the day I met her, I didn't stand a chance, but to be fair to me even she admitted I was poorly, she is ill and be stupid to go to work, but I can't tell her or stop her, more than my life's worth. Thanks fluid dynamics for your kind wishes to us both, think I might have to give up the settee, think her needs might be greater than mine. Hope she feeling for Sunday she taking 2 of the grand kids to the orchard pantomime in Dartford, and she been so looking forward to it as its their first visit to a theatre, got a feeling she will make that.Good news she thrown a sicky for today, think the first one since she started there some 10 years ago, so they can't moan, oh and I been told she is going to the pantomime, so you all can start, OH NO SHES NOT.Sorry for whinging Edited by Charltonkerry
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

Morning all, layed in today, sorry about that. A bright, clear and frosty morning, about sums its up.Don't forget today will be busy on the roads, it's the day that the building industry decamp from site to home, so watch out for those white vans being driven at 90mph, they are not normally hard to miss though, they the ones 1 foot away from my bumper :-). Have a great POETS day, Infact this week has been the worse week for me health wise I can remember, out of 5 days only made it in twice, not getting there today either, so my Christmas holiday starts today, with me laying on the settee, feeling extremely sorry for my self.Really bad news is the her indoors has now gone down with the lurgi, could be burning the Christmas dinner myself this year then, must admit if I looked as bad as she does, then boy I was ill, problem with her is she won't take day off work or slow down normally, but I think this time she may have to.

If I get a cold or flu it's either in October (my birthday) or Christmas.

If it's any comfort, I spent the first Christmas with who was to become my husband, really ill. He was supposed to stay with us and meet everyone, but I got this phone call at work on Christmas Eve and this sad sad voice on the other end. I organised a doctor to pay a home visit then rushed home to get a few bits and bobs for Christmas dinner and got up there and he was in a real state. None of his friends were around as they'd gone off for Christmas.

He'd had pleurisy and the doctor said if no one could be with him he'd have to go into hospital. So Christmas 1999 was a bit weird - just me and my dog (boyfriend in bed) - oh and it rained. Try some honey & lemon and the secret ingredient - whisky - sloe gin's good too. Get so plastered you don't care.

Edited by Iceni
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Location: Saltdean,Nr Brighton,East Sussex,Hither Green,SE London.
  • Location: Saltdean,Nr Brighton,East Sussex,Hither Green,SE London.

BBC news now reporting that the theatre collapse could be thunderstorm related,reports of water dripping before the collapse.The rain and hail was biblical for a time during the storm,so maybe hail blocking soakaways and water backing up into the roof area?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

BBC news now reporting that the theatre collapse could be thunderstorm related,reports of water dripping before the collapse.The rain and hail was biblical for a time during the storm,so maybe hail blocking soakaways and water backing up into the roof area?

Did they get their 'climate change' bit in too? It seems I've won my bet.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: any weather

kerrrrack! went the windscreen this morning - just like in the Autoglass adverts. In fact I am sure I could see a shadowy figure running back to a silver van as the screen cracked...

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder Storms. All extreme weather.

Mornin each. Lovely and sunny here in Ippy but a tad nippy. Bit jealous of those who had thunder yesterday. Never mind, no doubt we'll be getting more wind shortly.

Have a good POETS day, all. :).

• Like 1

Posted

Lovely pics there Reefseeker - a view I see most days at work and never tire of seeing.  The Houses of Parliament, inside of which are full of liars and thieves, the actual building is majestic!

Thanks Snow Raven:) As I work in Uxbridge now I really miss my London days and can't resist taking pics whenever I am 'in town'; it really was a lovely setting for our students at Westminster Central Hall, the majority of whom are from overseas so it looked great for their families. And then such a dramatic trip home in the thunder and rain, loved it.

Beautiful blue sky day here, with a frosty start that had melted by the time I left at 8am. Agree with you about de-icer de-icing.... not!

Kind of last day-ish now (ie no doubt emails will keep me going until next week), leaving at 1.30 for son's end of term assembly - it being an autistic school, it's always a very interesting spectacle getting as many of the kids to remain as still and as quiet as they reasonably can for an hour!

Edited by Reefseeker
  • Like 1

Posted

Brilliant sunshine here mirroring my demeanour this lunchtime, as I only have the afternoon to go until a few days break!!  Posted Image

Customers primed and ready to spend the last of the money in their yearly budgets this afternoon, it's the only reason I haven't packed up and delved into the Christmas wines and spirits. 

Posted Image

Mind you, I've got to pace myself as there are four young ladies coming around tonight for a party and I have to remain the consummate host.

Posted Image

• Like 3

Posted

My theory, and laugh if you want, is that the very hot summer we had and the very wet weather we had somehow worked together to expand and contract the brickwork or the cement somehow and that's what happened.

The reason I say that is that I can see it on a smaller scale by my back door, the door is wooden and it shrinks in hot weather to the point that there's a gap that can seen by the brickwork and in wet weather it expands so much that it causes bits of plaster to fall off the brickwork attached to it, and its very difficult to open the door.

Is something like that feasible with a whole building?

Posted

'noon :)

just walked along Albert embankment back to office in bright sunshine and a slight breeze.

which is tons better than the thunder/lightning and hail i was caught in last night walking the dog :rolleyes:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm and sunny; chilly and sunny; thunderstorms; extreme

My theory, and laugh if you want, is that the very hot summer we had and the very wet weather we had somehow worked together to expand and contract the brickwork or the cement somehow and that's what happened.

The reason I say that is that I can see it on a smaller scale by my back door, the door is wooden and it shrinks in hot weather to the point that there's a gap that can seen by the brickwork and in wet weather it expands so much that it causes bits of plaster to fall off the brickwork attached to it, and its very difficult to open the door.

I'd like to have a look at it, but I wont be asked. I deal with this sort of thing quite a lot (thankfully before its failed) as The Principal Civil Engineer for a very large utility company.

The articles read as though the plaster work only came down although there are reports of water too. Could be any number of causes, but none of them are any excuse for inadequate maintenance and/or a misundertsanding of the structural limits and fitness for purpose.

Yours, Fluid.  CEng MICE

• Like 1

Posted

The other thing I wonder about is where various organisations keep digging up the roads nearby whether that could make the foundations unstable, and lead to the roof collapsing in.

http://www.standard.co.uk/news/london/hackney-homes-evacuated-after-building-collapse-8959321.html

This was another recent collapse.

Posted

a good theory, apart from the fact london has been very dry this winter so far. :)