Thunder?
Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussion 1st January 2014-06z onwards.

phil nw.

Posted

ECM delivers the goods at T190hrs. GFS starts the day with wrist-slitting fodder before backtracking then finishing up with a near hurricane that would plunge most of the UK into a Waterworld-style scenario with only Kevin Costner and a few oddly dressed extras for company.

I think it's fair to say the models are struggling.

• Like 5

Posted

Just heard on channel 4 weather its that cold In part of America if you spend more than five mins outside it will freeze ya eyeballs now thats what i call a Winter.

• Like 7

Posted

We still can’t quite shake the theme can we, at least not yet, zonal, some sort of HLB/MLB and back to zonal, at least we can get past the GFS playing catch up to the ECM argument because the ECM has thrown a tangent, in reality it’s the usual story past 144hrs all the models are playing catch up.

What I would say is that tonight output has put some flesh on IFs post earlier.

“Any meaningful public communication of key expected weather type is almost currently impossible beyond mid-Jan and it's highly unlikely we will be any closer to the likely outcome anytime soon. â€œ

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm summers, Snowy winters.

Finally can yank out the BBQ again, shorts on, lotion...

Posted Image

Many mentioned including myself (for what it`s worth) a change around the 13th. Could it? At least there is something decent to look at.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme!

Nowt going over the top on the ECM!! Very good run IMO. Low pressure into Europe is much more preferable than a toppler.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

No fireworks on this run, but overall a nice trend from ECM.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, sleet, Snow

The Korean long range model which was showing an easterly freeze for February, could be right after all. The models are moving in the right direction, but it remains only a hint that winter proper will arrive soon. Posted Image  Enjoy the weather whilst you can mildies.

• Like 1

Posted

Yes I'm afraid I won't be rushing out to buy a sledge going on tonights ECM output, it looks great two possible snow events depending on trough disruption but the upstream differences from a very early stage leave me rather nervous in terms of accepting any of tonights outputs.

The ECM for me doesn't have enough sharpness to its troughing and the upstream pattern needs to be more amplified, its move from 168hrs to 192hrs also rings alarm bells.

Everyone knows I'm firmly in the coldie camp but the ECM simply does not fill me with confidence because its an accident waiting to happen, not saying its overall evolution won't verify but I need to see a lot more margin for error.

You'd need a lot more energy going se at T144hrs and then the phasing of upstream energy with the low to the west will pull low heights into the high to the ne at T168hrs this is another concern.

Its an interesting output and if people want to see some snow then this type of set up with trough disruption near the UK can provide that but its really how far east/west the pattern will be that's a big issue here.

I hope people don't think I've swallowed a misery pill or trying to put a downer on some excitement in here, I just have to be totally objective here, I certainly will ramp things up if I think it passes the muster in terms of a solid less stressful  evolution!

Completely agree with this. The evolution between 168 and 192 looks bizarre to me. Its almost as if the two charts are from different runs they are so different.

The 192 850 chart made me laugh. Seeing the -6 line sitting 10 miles of the east before it retreats eastwards would surely sum this winter up!

240 would be a nightmare as presumably that would be a game over chart. Of course its nonsense at that range and won't verify.

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: action weather

ECM delivers the goods at T190hrs. GFS starts the day with wrist-slitting fodder before backtracking then finishing up with a near hurricane that would plunge most of the UK into a Waterworld-style scenario with only Kevin Costner and a few oddly dressed extras for company.

I think it's fair to say the models are struggling.

Ithink if we look across all models plus the long range met office update the future is very interesting with possibly newsworthy weather to take us to the end of January .Colder air to our possibly east or n /east and an atlantic still breathing .but the end of this Month is 3 weeks away so no model as far as i know would have a clue , of  course met office are touting a possible cold spell at the end of this month probably going by their research involving upper atmosphere with new computer etc .So we need some good upgrades over coming days to go with tonights better charts .Posted Image

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Enjoy the weather, you can't take it with you 😎

Tbh, my main concern from both models, is  that we see some sort of blocking to our East or NorthEast byT+192. The Ecm more so than the Gfs...Given this scenario it would seem likely that fronts would slow down considerably from the Atlantic and my thoughts are nothing to do with how cold it might get but some more flooding problems due to the fact we may get stalled fronts or even slow moving fronts over the nation.given loads of cold rain, and to add to that the over saturated ground..... difficult one to call but could well be an issue in the days ahead,,,,Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

post-6830-0-73952700-1389036703_thumb.pn

post-6830-0-09254500-1389036730_thumb.pn

Edited by ANYWEATHER
  • Like 2

Posted

back to the models...

Posted Image

As above.. Some places might see some snow from this chart, but height will help greatly. It's a long way off, but most of the models appear to be latching onto something colder during the second half of January. The only problem is, it's not too long before the Atlantic starts to fire up again.

We really need the cold to dig in to our East and push, push, push, or I fear it's going to be over rather quickly.

Time will tell, but very interesting developments, and finally a good time to be looking at the models !

Edited by phil nw.
As requested by op
  • Like 2

Posted

How many times have we seen the ECM deliver the goods with a superb run and then to

back track on following runs although it did not quite make it on this run.

Taking into account the promising 12z GFS run you would be inclined to think the ECM

is on the money and by tomorrow it would be showing a full blown easterly but like a bad

toothache that won't go away you are reminded of the UKMO run.

Posted

http://www.emc.ncep.noaa.gov/gmb/STATS/html/new_acz6.html

Just to highlight the recent GFS performance - now in forth behind the GEM which is TOP!S 

UK M=top, not often that happens to ECMWF

• Like 2

Posted

http://www.emc.ncep.noaa.gov/gmb/STATS/html/new_acz6.html

Just to highlight the recent GFS performance - now in forth behind the GEM which is TOP!S 

No doubt about it Steve, coupled with your outrageously good post above, that chart speaks for itself, the GFS lately has fallen off the cliffe and cannot be trusted at all. Lets hope the revamp of it this year will also aid us in forecasting the future !

• Like 2

Posted

Great post Steve, thanks! 

Since I remember last year that the ECM sometimes corrected east as T0 approached (and I think Steve picked up on this at the time), it will be interesting to see if there are corrections east in a few days - hopefully they will be the other way!!

For all the GFS criticism today, it should be given a little credit because (assuming it happens) it picked this pattern change out last Friday only to drop it within a few runs. Within T96-T192 I see GFS making mistakes quite often, but whenever a pattern change occurs it always seems to give us a preview somewhere in the T200s or T300s! So it has got its uses for me!!

Posted

The Korean long range model which was showing an easterly freeze for February, could be right after all. The models are moving in the right direction, but it remains only a hint that winter proper will arrive soon. Posted Image  Enjoy the weather whilst you can mildies.

The Korean model?! Is it any good?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and frost in the winter. Hot and sunny, thunderstorms in the summer.

The split jet is there to see on the ECM ens, as standard a mix of solutions depending on how much energy goes north east and south east, not surprising to see a rather smoothed over result for the bulk of Europe. 

All to play for. The UKMO currently looks an outlier solution. Had to be that model, it can be isolated at day 6 and trounce the other models, but can be wrong at even 2 days out from experience. Just something to shred peoples nerves :p

• Like 1

Posted

Ithink if we look across all models plus the long range met office update the future is very interesting with possibly newsworthy weather to take us to the end of January .Colder air to our possibly east or n /east and an atlantic still breathing .but the end of this Month is 3 weeks away so no model as far as i know would have a clue , of  course met office are touting a possible cold spell at the end of this month probably going by their research involving upper atmosphere with new computer etc .So we need some good upgrades over coming days to go with tonights better charts .Posted Image

Quite so Le Gritter. While I feel that the models have edged towards coldies' favour (the absence from Ian Brown from the forum also being telling) it's far from a confident move. That all said, what price a repeat of last winter - wet and wild until mid Jan then in the freezer until Easter? So long and cold was winter in London last year people seem to have forgotten that it was a real late developer.
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: None Really but a snow lover deep down
Good evening. Here is the report on the midday outputs from the NWP for today Monday January 6th 2014.

All models show a deep depression to the NW of the UK filling slowly over the next 48 hours as it moves slowly NE ending up to the North of Scotland by this time on Wednesday. In addition frontal rain will flirt with the South at times over the next 48 hours enhancing the flooding risk even further in the South. However, strong winds will become less of an issue with time with only moderate Westerly breezes by Thursday with some further rain running West to East across the UK. By the end of the week pressure will of risen strongly to the SE of the UK with drier and quieter weather likely for all for a time.

GFS through the weekend shows quiet and fine weather for many before the unsettled weather returns from the West early next week with rain bearing fronts crossing the UK from the West in what would be if verified another round of deep depressions, intensely so at the end of the run with strong to gale winds again and heavy rain and flooding issues likely again.

The GFS Ensembles look very unsettled and changeable again tonight with rain at times with strong winds too and little likelihood of much in the way of drier weather after the breather of later this week.

UKMO for next Sunday shows High pressure declining away SE early next week as troughs of Low pressure move in from the Atlantic with further unwanted rainfall following the drier interlude early in the weekend.

GEM shows an interesting period from next weekend as it's operational shows Low pressure moving in late next weekend with further rain before the whole system slides SE allowing pressure to rise strongly to the NW of Britain. This would enable winds to swing NE and Low pressure to reside near the Meditteranean with the cold wind giving rise to some wintry weather with snow in places in 10 days time.

NAVGEM declines High pressure away SE too after the weekend as Low pressure to the NW sends troughs back NE over the UK next week with renewed rain, this time probably heaviest towards more NW areas rather than places further South and east.

ECM tonight shows Saturday as the best day of this week when it should be dry and fine under a transient ridge of High pressure. It isn't long before Low pressure troughs swing back in from the West before sliding SE and giving rise to plenty of rain again in the process. then towards the end of the run a new Low over the Western Atlantic send another active trough slowly East across the UK hitting a High pressure block slowly declining across Europe.

The ECM 9 and 10 Day Mean Charts show strong signals for the majority of members of the ECM pack to favour a blocking High over Scandinavia at this time point with the UK lying in a SSE flow with Lower pressure troughs close to the West. If this majority verifies then we can look forward to some colder and drier weather but if the fronts to the West come in too close then we could all end up with a lot of cold rain and perhaps some snow.

The GFS Jet Stream Forecast tonight shows the current flow imploding in a few days time before becoming diffuse and unclear with regard to favoured position before the pattern resets with an incredibly powerful surge of flow shown racing over the Atlantic towards the UK late in the run.

In Summary tonight the pattern is taking a backwards step towards maintaining rather unsettled weather moving into next week and beyond. The Atlantic is shown to weaken considerably later this week with at least a window of drier weather likely towards the weekend before it looks increasingly possible for wet and windy weather to return later though hopefully not to the extremes of recently. There is still a nugget of hope for cold lovers though as both GEM and ECM go for some trough disruption next week meaning an awful lot of cold rain for many as Low pressure slides SE and opens the door to something rather colder behind it ala GEM. However, despite the principal being the same from ECM the Atlantic proves too strong from this run to set up cold Easterlies as the next Low pushes troughs back in from the West on Day 10.
  • Like 4