Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussion 1st January 2014-06z onwards.

phil nw.

Posted

The GFS does its best to drag the drama out in the lower resolution, you can see its reluctant to separate that shortwave energy away from the main trough, if it did so the ridge would exert more forcing on the low to send energy se.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: blizzard conditions. ice days

Far better from the 18z GFS, if in term of potential. Further runs cross" should hopefully start firming v, soon. ? And dare isay evenupgrade dedevelopment.

DEVELOPMENT even. : )

Posted

The GFS does its best to drag the drama out in the lower resolution, you can see its reluctant to separate that shortwave energy away from the main trough, if it did so the ridge would exert more forcing on the low to send energy se.

still what a turnaround from the gfs!!steve murr looks like he was right with his gfs backtrack!!
  • Like 3

Posted

still what a turnaround from the gfs!!steve murr looks like he was right with his gfs backtrack!!

Well if you go on the last few weeks then it was always more likely than it being correct however the UKMO raw output is totally underwhelming compared to both the ECM and GFS indeed most of the other global models.

We've been here before with it, even if the UKMO modify their raw output towards the ECM in tonights T120hrs fax chart we need its raw output tomorrow to start showing more dig south of the jet to the west.

For newbies with blocking to the ne and this type of set up don't bank on anything until the UKMO agrees.

Edited by nick sussex
  • Like 9

Posted
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)

Yes, really need a quick trough disruption, otherwise low pressure shown on 18z just loiters over western Europe pumping mild air north and keeping the deep cold air at bay to the northeast. Still, at least GFS is catching on to the NE blocking idea, albeit a shamefully late arrival to the party.

It's one thing getting the block, but it's another thing, an uphill struggle often, getting the lows and flows in the right place to deliver the deep cold to the UK.

• Like 7

Posted
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.

Finally the GFS catches up at last, still lot's more flip/flopping to come but nice to see all three on board, Phew !

Edited by Polar Maritime
  • Like 5

Posted

Well if you go on the last few weeks then it was always more likely than it being correct however the UKMO raw output is totally underwhelming compared to both the ECM and GFS indeed most of the other global models. We've been here before with it, even if the UKMO modify their raw output towards the ECM in tonights T120hrs fax chart we need its raw output tomorrow to start showing more dig south of the jet to the west. For newbies with blocking to the ne and this type of set up don't bank on anything until the UKMO agrees.

yeh your right we have seen it happen before!!got a feeling that by tomorrow 12z ukmo will be on board!!

Posted

did anyone do the homework I set regarding the setting up of a Scandinavian ridge using the basic forecast charts and explanation I showed 

• Like 2

Posted

Clear to see how the GFS 18z has backed things west when comparing its last 3 runs for 

Saturday.

4th... 5th..

6th..

Edited by Cloud 10
  • Like 4

Posted

yeh your right we have seen it happen before!!got a feeling that by tomorrow 12z ukmo will be on board!!

I hope you're right! we've had quite a few dramas over the years with the UKMO refusing to go along with the others. I'm always much more comfortable if the odd one out is the GFS rather than the UKMO.

I suspect there'll be a good turnout in here to see tomorrows drama unfold, hopefully we get a happy ending!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer:sunny, some Thunder,Winter:cold & snowy spells,Other:transitional

Clear to see how the GFS 18z has backed things west when comparing its last 3 runs for 

Saturday.

4th...Posted Imageb.png 5th..Posted Imagec.png

6th..Posted Imagea.png

And precisely how all of us should view the GFS as well without going overboard, study each run in a like for like fashion. Posted Image  Well spotted.  

Edited by gottolovethisweather
  • Like 2

Posted

did anyone do the homework I set regarding the setting up of a Scandinavian ridge using the basic forecast charts and explanation I showed 

I would have had a bash at it but can't open doc. files on my computer.

Maybe best to open a new thread for it as it could pretty interesting.

• Like 1

Posted

UKMO fax chart for T120hrs looks very similar to the raw output, I would put it up but frankly seeing it once was enough! I am surprised the UKMO haven't modified it strongly towards the ECM but anyway we'll just have to see in the morning whether we get a move from it.

• Like 1

Posted

Have any of you seen yhe last 3 or 4 runs from the cfs run??its been showing a scandi high formation from as early as 96 hours for the past 4 runs in a row I think!!we just might have an upgrade tomorrow!!

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe weather enthusiast

A very interesting set of runs this afternoon & evening. As others have already stated, it is still finely balanced and we will need to continue to see more consistency between all the models and *hopefully* see an interesting pattern change taking hold. 

Is it sad that I'm about to rush to bed so I can wake up in anticipation of the morning runs? Let's hope they continue the improving cold signal theme of tonight! 

• Like 2

Posted

UKMO fax chart for T120hrs looks very similar to the raw output, I would put it up but frankly seeing it once was enough! I am surprised the UKMO haven't modified it strongly towards the ECM but anyway we'll just have to see in the morning whether we get a move from it.

they were always gona do that nick!!until they are pretty confident of a pattern change they will stick to their raw output!!I think we need ian ferguson to come back on this thread to give us an insight of what the meto are thinking.

Posted

Latest ec32 update sees heights build over Scandi from late wkend, but the signal recedes into wk 2. Thereafter we return to old faithful. Troughing to our NW, extending thru greenland., and general zonality is restored - and it remains until the end of its run into Feb. So the latest monthly still suggesting unsettled, (probably trending around average? Ian? Maybe below average)… but very little to write home about in terms of a big freeze. Not from the synoptics indicated. This is now, I believe, the third/fourth run indicating this overall pattern.

Edited by draztik
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish Plumes, Blizzards, Severe Frosts :-)

I'm fed up of the constant gfs bashing on here, its as good a model as any. All the models have strengths and weaknesses, ups and downs and the ecm has been abysmal at times.

Edited by Frosty.
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Sun, Heat, Cold,T/storms via Spanish plumes *rare*

HAHA. The CFS is a thing of beauty! And so is the CFS 9month!!

Posted ImagePosted Image

Edited by Panayiotis
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes

Latest ec32 update sees heights build over Scandi from late wkend, but the signal recedes into wk 2. Thereafter we return to old faithful. Troughing to our NW, extending thru greenland., and general zonality is restored - and it remains until the end of its run into Feb. So the latest monthly still suggesting unsettled, (probably trending around average? Ian? Maybe below average)… but very little to write home about in terms of a big freeze. Not from the synoptics indicated. This is now, I believe, the third/fourth run indicating this overall pattern.

I thought the last update was showing unrelenting zonal? Now we have Scandi heights followed by zonal....

• Like 9

Posted

was it indicating any scandi heights for the coming weekend in its last update?cos if not then its got it wrong at short notice already so anything that it shows from or after week 2 could be wrong aswell!
  • Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, Cold & Snowy

How do I view the CFS? Thanks! :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and frost in the winter. Hot and sunny, thunderstorms in the summer.

GFS mean for around day 6

Posted Image

Previous one

Posted Image

Definite improvement with more members going for this ridge.

As for the UKMO it's simple, it's either right or it has made a major balls up. Even with a years experience I've seen it do both. The October cooler spell was an outlier UKMO at days 5/6. It was near enough spot on. March 2013, it didn't pick up the trigger shortwave to that extensive cold spell until 36 hours away.

Lets hope it backs down tomorrow, because from experience that model can stick with an outlier solution for a long long time (even if it's wrong). Much worse on the nerves than the GFS which will always back down in the 3-4 day range and it will do it step wise. 

Edited by Captain shortwave

Posted

I thought the last update was showing unrelenting zonal? Now we have Scandi heights followed by zonal....

Just informing you what the model indicates. Don't shoot the messenger :)