Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Ireland Regional Weather Chat

A.J

Posted

Really looking forward to todays 12z. Should be good viewing. If we are still seeing these charts come Monday then i think its fair to say that this will be nailed on. Would love to hear MS's thoughts.

• Like 1

Posted

Really looking forward to todays 12z. Should be good viewing. If we are still seeing these charts come Monday then i think its fair to say that this will be nailed on. Would love to hear MS's thoughts.

Northerly is definitely nailed on cross model agreement the question is whether how potent it will be. I think you'll do well, arctic is coldest at this time of year into March so it is good time for it.
  • Like 5

Posted

Yeah Daniel I have to say that the timing couldn't be better with this. I'm sure it is more or less nailed bit can't help being over cautious with the let downs we have had in the past.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: blizzards and frost.

A person called EML Record, one or two others also mentioned NI as well Storm

sound pom. really encouraging to say the least.

Posted
  • Location: inter drumlin South Tyrone Blackwater river valley surrounded by the last last ice age...
  • Weather Preferences: jack frost
  • Location: inter drumlin South Tyrone Blackwater river valley surrounded by the last last ice age...

..today's frost  seems to have caused more damage and hurt  locally with accidents and falls than the whole last week of snow and ice . On my way to see my 95 year old dad (Fred) this afternoon (good choice of timing it turned out !) I saw pockets of snow on verges and fields above @100m and had a carlength where the road sides and centre still had last Friday's snow . I noticed someone had rolled a giant snowball in their garden .. it might still be there at Easter . Anyway .. as the ground is cold ice forms easily .. and as for 'bouncy' rural roads ..  . Be safe :)

And what's next ! Models getting tasty again , Knew I was splitting logs for a reason .. learnt the trick of packing them into a tyre and merrily splitting away .. . I've been enjoying a roaring fire every evening lately and have 3 months dry wood and a whole load moving in for a years drying .. much healthier than filling an oil tank ..

Locally this winter is nearly as benign as last year .. in fact snowdrops are a few days ahead (I'm about to sell a few thousand ) and dandilions are flowering discreetly . .. and I've nearly let the fire go out ..

keep up the good work/fun ? .. off to see if I've a shaft for my shovel :) ..

• Like 4

Posted

I'm not sure now looking good but it looks as if only a shift eastwards of 100 miles and all we get is cold rain.

Mind you our odds are better than anywhere else than Scotland. Also on the north coast I might only get sleet a few miles further in land snow

• Like 1

Posted

So what's the story then tonight is the cold spell still on?

Full steam ahead ignore the doom merchants, GFS 18z has uppers of -4C with very low thicknesses I see no issue, whereas ECM shows uppers between -6/-10c. Lower the better Ireland is fine at this stage. :)

Edited by Daniel*
  • Like 5

Posted

Daniel I love your enthusiasm!

It is not even enthusiasm almost fact solid N'ly is nailed on ensembles support this :wink:

Haha I've cursed it now! Don't shoot the messenger :laugh:

Not marginal really with the origins coming from pole - you'd be fine.

• Like 4

Posted

Seriously people it's one run!! Most people dodge the 18z anyway! You all know that I'm always optimistic and as I said give it to Monday then worry if there are downgrades for Wednesday/Thursday. Until then enjoy the ride! Some people in the model thread really does wind me up! Lol. It's all to play for!

Edited by ronan
  • Like 2

Posted

Good morning fellow gaels.

A potent cold front moves South East during Wednesday with Arctic sourced air following behind in gale force winds. Precipitation will be mainly snow, however coastal areas may be sleety. The snow will fall mainly as showers however given the unstable air mass the showers may organise into more organised bands. The North West could well see some decent snow fall amounts.

As the week progresses the air mass remains cold and unstable with the continued risk of heavy snow and as winds fall lighter some frosty nights over the snow fields.

This weeks potential is more likely to be more widespread than last weeks as the air temps are less marginal and are more Northerly than North Westerly.

Get the snow boots out, Winter is on its way back.

Edit: The Met Office already putting out weather warnings!!

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/public/weather/warnings/#?tab=warnings&regionName=ni&fcTime=1422403200

Edited by mountain shadow
  • Like 7

Posted

MetO have snowing warning up already covering NI, Scotland into North England so confidence must be high at this early stage of something.

I really think the east coast of NI has a better chance this time as the fronts push through from a more northerly direction!!

**you beat me to it mountain shadow

Edited by Weegaz
  • Like 4

Posted

Well another set of great charts this morning! My confidence has grown and I feel some areas could see something substantial. Great to see warnings 4 days out. Cheers for the input MS.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms

Nice!!!

I was just going to post that too! When I saw the model runs this morning, the first thing I said to myself was "jeez, Ireland could get hammered!"

Looks very interesting for you guys. Not so sure about my own chances though. Central England doesn't tend to fair too well from these kind of setups!

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: blizzards and frost.

http://www.wetterzentrale.de/pics/Recm962.gif

snow showers packing in, in a strong north westerly wind, most likely with elevation but to lower levels progressively, -5hpa line sweeping over the entire country by as early as thursday morning.

http://www.wetterzentrale.de/pics/Recm1201.gif

more wintry showers blowing down on a northerly wind, all be it with elevation.

http://www.wetterzentrale.de/pics/Recm1682.gif

snow showers down west, north and east coasts at low levels.

http://www.wetterzentrale.de/pics/Recm2402.gif

sweet chart, north and east getting packets of showers with that. -10hpa line into scotland.

a calculated brief guess there, correct if wrong.

Edited by stormforce 10
  • Like 5