Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Banter, Moans and Ramps Autumn/Winter 2014/15.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: The Actual Weather ..... not fantasy.

What is it with this word 'shortwave' and who invented it on the forums. Why don't people just say Low pressure area so that people can understand what is meant. It's a term that I haven't ever used in my reports and never will. I'm not aware that the Met use it either, certainly not on the media.

But its a particular type of low pressure, given that the term 'long wave pattern' is used. I think its apt, and describes a smaller low as opposed to the controling parent low. Seems fair enough to me :)

Loving the gfs 12z, abit chilly for a few days before early spring kicks in with mobile mild southwesterlies in fi... :)

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

Midlands thread is getting ridiculous! so many completely off topic posts! is it moderated at all? half the posts do not belong in there

surely will not have to put virtually every member on ignore

Posted

Midlands thread is getting ridiculous! so many completely off topic posts! is it moderated at all? half the posts do not belong in there

surely will not have to put virtually every member on ignore

I actually agree  I DONT CARE if its snowing in america  and the people who are,  put it in the appropiate thread

• Like 2

Posted
  • Location: Abingdon - 55m ASL - Capital of The Central Southern England Corridor of Winter Convectionlessness
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Snow>Freezing Fog; Summer: Sun>Daytime Storms
  • Location: Abingdon - 55m ASL - Capital of The Central Southern England Corridor of Winter Convectionlessness

I actually agree  I DONT CARE if its snowing in america  and the people who are,  put it in the appropiate thread

What's annoyed me the most about this is that BBC News are giving coverage to a "non-weather event" and as a result there isn't enough time for some of the UK weather forecasts to show any charts for Thursday.

• Like 2

Posted

I hope the cotswolds fairs well for some snow from this cold spell, it's been a long hard slog in these parts to get any significant snow since january 2013  :nonono:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, thunder, hail & heavy snow

Hi guys. Let's try keep this thread about the moans, ramps and banters about the models please. Some of the posts, especially regarding the Regional threads, really don't belong in here. Thanks!

Edited by DiagonalRedLine

Posted

Theres some overramping hype posted tonight thatll only feed the disappointment when it wont happen. People never learn.

• Like 3

Posted

What's annoyed me the most about this is that BBC News are giving coverage to a "non-weather event" and as a result there isn't enough time for some of the UK weather forecasts to show any charts for Thursday.

We had more snow in Edinburgh in 2010 than this 'historic' snow storm has delivered in NYC, totally OTT coverage by the BBC (as they do with anything in N America)

• Like 1

Posted

Theres some overramping hype posted tonight thatll only feed the disappointment when it wont happen. People never learn.

Have to say I agree, away from Scotland and NW coasts I can't see anything other than cold in the wind, maybe a few transient wintry ahowers but nothing significant, the MetO forecasts (as always) are reflective of what's on offer. I'll be surprised if we get more than a few showers even here tbh based on past experience

I see this phrase 'get the cold in and snow will follow' but in reality it's wholly dependent on so much more than that ....

• Like 2

Posted

Two quite good examples from the midday soundings at Chatham and Albany where the 850mb temp and the 500mb height and 1000-500 thickness can be a tad deceptive.

post-12275-0-20366400-1422397434_thumb.g

post-12275-0-73576200-1422397440_thumb.g

Edited by knocker
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Southerly tracking LPs, heavy snow. Also 25c and calm

Pub runs been on the booze.

Better amplification, better shortwave tracking and to top it all off, it almost gets a channel low going too

No it's actually sobering up !!!

BFTP

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy Winters, Torrential Storm Summers

Nirvana run from the GFS!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: SNOW ICE

apparently earlier today a woman rang the BBC and said there was a nationwide blizzard on the way. well if you're watching, don't worry, there isn't...

I spilt my tea reading this ( sorry Mods)brilliant.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Southerly tracking LPs, heavy snow. Also 25c and calm

I spilt my tea reading this ( sorry Mods)brilliant.

Don't forget.....it was quantified...'but it will be snowy'

BFTP

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

omg. I love reading MOD thread especially when there is an upcoming cold spell however posters use of 'to' and 'too' drives me mad.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow snow and snow

omg. I love reading MOD thread especially when there is an upcoming cold spell however posters use of 'to' and 'too' drives me mad.

That drives me mad to. I often feel the urge too correct them

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, cold, cold and errrr......cold. I am, unashamedly, a cold fan.

There, their and they're is just as bad.

• Like 6

Posted
  • Location: IN THE FOOT HILLS AND DENSELY FORESTED AREAS OF TUNBRIDGE WELLS IN KENT
  • Weather Preferences: I like a bit of weather
  • Location: IN THE FOOT HILLS AND DENSELY FORESTED AREAS OF TUNBRIDGE WELLS IN KENT

Yes so do eye!!!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and Snow -20 would be nice :)

Isn't it great when the Banter, Moans & Ramps are about spelling or grammar instead of downgrades, shortwaves, Azores High, etc.  :yahoo:

I agree :hi:

keep-calm-innit.png

Posted

and this morning.... :doh::nonono:

im not so certain, the models have shifted significantly towards a snowier, colder spell that lasts longer. :(

however...

post-2797-0-91256900-1422440760_thumb.gi

SPRING is on the way! :laugh:

after a cold spell the anomaly chart is moving in the right direction suggesting that by about day 11 pressure should be shifting to our east/south with a mid atlantic trough sweeping mild southwesterlies across us :clap:  .... if only :unsure2:

• Like 2