Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Yorkshire and Lincolnshire - Weather Chat

Paul

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow/Thunderstorms

Spare a thought for us poor souls on the flat land on the East Riding coast...whichever way snow comes from it has many obstacles to overcome before we see any, from the W/NW it's blocked by the Moors/Wolds, from the N+E we have a relatively warm sea, the only chance is of real cold here is from the SE off the near continent, which doesn't look too likely ths winter...again...

The North sea is only an obstacle when uppers are above -8c Id say for you area. Anything below that off from the east in winter and its game on. If my memory serves me correctly, there has been no convective easterly that has delivered snow to low lying eastern areas since Dec 10, thats over 4 years ago now, and there was 4 cold easterly spells during the years 2009 and 2010. We are well overdue one and I can sense alot of fustration ( myself) from many people in this region, including Lewis from Hull who used to post in this forum. Anyway its a good job I can drive as ive seen 3 cold snowy spells so far and tomorrow my aim is to get stuck in a snow drift somewhere high up in the Yorkshire Dales, wish me luck :yahoo:  

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme

Winds just arrived here gusting 65 mph.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heat and Snow

Tuesdays looking like it could be more interesting for snow

90-779UK.GIF?09-12

Posted

The North sea is only an obstacle when uppers are above -8c Id say for you area. Anything below that off from the east in winter and its game on. If my memory serves me correctly, there has been no convective easterly that has delivered snow to low lying eastern areas since Dec 10, thats over 4 years ago now, and there was 4 cold easterly spells during the years 2009 and 2010. We are well overdue one and I can sense alot of fustration ( myself) from many people in this region, including Lewis from Hull who used to post in this forum. Anyway its a good job I can drive as ive seen 3 cold snowy spells so far and tomorrow my aim is to get stuck in a snow drift somewhere high up in the Yorkshire Dales, wish me luck :yahoo:  

February 2012, January 2013 and March 2013 all also provided snow via easterlies, though the latter wasn't much.

As Phlippy67 mentions though, north-westerlies never deliver here. The showers tend to get killed off and you usually get just a sunny day and a slight foehn effect just to make sure if anything does fall that its rain.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow/Thunderstorms

February 2012, January 2013 and March 2013 all also provided snow via easterlies, though the latter wasn't much.

As Phlippy67 mentions though, north-westerlies never deliver here. The showers tend to get killed off and you usually get just a sunny day and a slight foehn effect just to make sure if anything does fall that its rain.

Yes, although as far as Im aware they were from frontal events? Not actual convective showers from cold uppers off the north sea, please feel free to correct me though.

I moved to my current location in Oct 2011 and have only seen laying snow from frontal events bar 1 small covering from a Northerly.

Edited by vizzy2004

Posted
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet

Its snowing.

Posted

Its snowing.

No its not.

Lba is at 13.c

Gusting 57mph here.

Windspeed around 40mph

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and Thundery, Cold and Snowy

Robin Hood airport showing a mind boggling 17c. Unreal for this time of year at this time of day!!

Posted

GFS Parallel gives a brief period of snow tommorow

gfs-2-24.png?12

Think it may be a bit too fast moving for any low level accumulations but would be nice to see snow falling none the less.

Posted

GFS Parallel gives a brief period of snow tommorow

gfs-2-24.png?12

Think it may be a bit too fast moving for any low level accumulations but would be nice to see snow falling none the less.

Anywhere under the streamers will see notable accumulations.

Meto forecast looks interesting for this area.

post-8968-0-34173800-1420827995_thumb.jp

• Like 2

Posted

Highest gust 71mph so far gusting 60 regularly average speed 35mph

Posted

Anywhere under the streamers will see notable accumulations.

Meto forecast looks interesting for this area.

attachicon.gifScreenshot_2015-01-09-18-25-24.jpg

Ye definatly, no matter what the precip charts show I know when the wind is strong north westerly, showers always feed through to my location (The imfamous otley gap lol.) Also the latest charts have increased our window for possible snowfall to a good 30 hours now (sat 6am - sun noon.) 

Not to mention the 13th looks very interesting two, more so than tommorow.

Edited by Harsh Climate
  • Like 2

Posted

Gusting 65 mph here.

Localised power outages across North Leeds.

Whole of Bramhope is without power.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Misty Autumn days and foggy nights

Spare a thought for us poor souls on the flat land on the East Riding coast...whichever way snow comes from it has many obstacles to overcome before we see any, from the W/NW it's blocked by the Moors/Wolds, from the N+E we have a relatively warm sea, the only chance is of real cold here is from the SE off the near continent, which doesn't look too likely ths winter...again...

And us in the coastal fringe of Lincolnshire (this IS still the Yorkshire AND Lincolnshire forum, isn't it?).  It' been 3 years since we've had lying snow here.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and Cold! Winter :)

Crazy winds tonight. High Bradfield has recorded 93mph!! Thats just about as bad as Scotland last night.

weve had a 45 minute power cut here. It may not be the last! Windy all night....

Are we still on for snow tomorrow then? BBC graphics were pants and they didnt even mention the yellow warning. typical! Charts posted above look better though :)

Posted

Snow on the brain. Meant to comment on the rain.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme weather - any kind!

Seriously windy here tonight, the windiest it's been since I moved here last year. Wind whipping round the house, constant roar of the nearby trees.

• Like 1

Posted

Snow on the brain. Meant to comment on the rain.

Tis the wind blowing your dandruff about. :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: SNOW

Getting quite breezy here...temp up to 12degC...hopefully colder by this time tomorrow

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow Frost Sun

It's along time since we've had winds this bad around here, some really violent gusts recently.

Posted

Looks like it's dying down now back down to force 6 and only gusting 48 mph.

Posted

Just seen that the homepage of this site has 'Humberside' as the top 'Hotspot' today at 16degC...strange that when 'Humberside' doesn't exist anymore...and never did for those of us who live here, it's always been East Yorkshire (East Riding for us) and Lincolnshire...quite annoying...a bit like this, and last, winter...

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heat, Snow, Thunder

Just seen that the homepage of this site has 'Humberside' as the top 'Hotspot' today at 16degC...strange that when 'Humberside' doesn't exist anymore...and never did for those of us who live here, it's always been East Yorkshire (East Riding for us) and Lincolnshire...quite annoying...a bit like this, and last, winter...

I assume it's because it was measured at Humberside airport which, I think, is its actual name. But I may well be wrong lol!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer Sunshine / Winter Snow

Really gusty out there this evening. I have no idea what the wind speeds are but there does seem to be various objects flying around the garden at times!

I note High Bradfield has recorded a gust of 93mph...maybe an Amber warning would have been warranted this side of the Pennines?

Just saying...

• Like 2

Posted

Indeed it is Humberside Airport...which should be specified in order to avoid disgruntlement...