Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

The Midlands - Weather Chat

BlueHedgehog074

Posted

I'm in brum, and am a snow lover - I think it will be a rain/sleet event for us. Temps are a bit marginal imho.

The temps are fine.

It's the dewpoint that counts, and most of us should be around -1C in the Midlands area.

Current Dewpoint is -1.3C for me, and temp is 1.4C.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

Unless it changes direction, it's gonna go straight over Bristol and we may miss the best of the snow as it decays over the Welsh mountains.

Just make sure you don't expect too much guys!

Anything* ;)

In fairness it was progged as rain until this morning when things raised a bit of interest, but so far - not too much interest. 

Yes, but if anything it's actually under doing the intensity of the precip over Ireland at the moment (it's got the spread of ppn fairly close to radar). The past few snow events the NMM has done well and matched up pretty closely to the radar from what I can tell. It seems to have done better then the euro4 for predicting snow in my neck of the woods atleast. 

Fair enough - hope you are right, but I wouldn't bet on it.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Coldie!

The temps are fine.

It's the dewpoint that counts, and most of us should be around -1C in the Midlands area.

The temps are fine.

I'm trying to be rational and not get overexcited!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow. Cold

Anything* ;)

In fairness it was progged as rain until this morning when things raised a bit of interest, but so far - not too much interest. 

Fair enough - hope you are right, but I wouldn't bet on it.

Don't worry i'm certainly not betting on it ! I've been let down often in the past. But I don't think the MetO/BBC are likely to have the track and ppn nailed any more than the NMM does. I'm just looking at the radar and comparing it to the same hour as the 18z NMM, and they look close, so if I had to put my money somewhere it would be with the NMM, that's all. Certainly have no where near the knowledge of the people in the model threads, that's for sure. Just an IMBY opinion :p 

Posted

Temps must have dropped because that sugar dusting we got earlier this evening is still there, and its going icy. Still have the remains of this afternoons snow where the sun didnt get it.

Roads will be interesting in the morning if it stays like that...

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Columus Bigus Convectivus

Depends which river... I'm half a mile west of the Severn here! :p

Severn for sure :) .....Whats it doing Arctic.... sleet/snow?

Edited by Arnie Pie

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: SNOW..... THUNDERSTORMS

I got to say this has been the best day for radar watching in a very long time. 1 frame I think Its going east of here then to far south and now it looks like it could interesting here in a couple of hours time. Interesting

Posted

I'd ignore the bbc forecast right now. They're likely using data which is hours old. 

I'm not saying they are wrong, far from it. But it's a tricky low to predict, so there is still a lot to play for.

but surely they are watchin the current radar images the same as we are? and hi res models? i wouldn't like to bet against them though :D maybe they don't think it will weaken too much and as such take a more southerly track as opposed to weaking and swinging south east?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot n cold

Worries me that alot of it is falling as rain further north but hear the skys are clear and a harsh frost everywhere and also nice snow cover so not to worried about the temps

liverpool has snow I see? So up NW not bad

Posted

Don't worry i'm certainly not betting on it ! I've been let down often in the past. But I don't think the MetO/BBC are likely to have the track and ppn nailed any more than the NMM does. I'm just looking at the radar and comparing it to the same hour as the 18z NMM, and they look close, so if I had to put my money somewhere it would be with the NMM, that's all. Certainly have no where near the knowledge of the people in the model threads, that's for sure. Just an IMBY opinion :p

The Metoffice Sinclair Spectrum is currently being upgraded to a Commodore 64, which should be operational in 2017.

What do they know.  :D

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy snow, Thunder storms and lightning

liverpool has snow I see? So up NW not bad

Yh good news

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and sun in winter; warm and bright otherwise; not a big storm fan

Severn for sure :) .....Whats it doing Arctic.... sleet/snow?

Dry and very icy here, with a thin veil of cloud. Very cold in the wind; actual temp is 1.5 °C. You can usually see the Moon, and the clouds are scudding past at a rate of knots.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

gets worse now light rain

Comes as no surprise, Rain in Derbyshire (the eastern/northern side of the banned)...spells trouble for the entire region. 

Posted

The following new warning has been published by the Met office from 1030pm this evening

a small area of low pressure is expected to move southeastwards and bring a more persistent spell of rain, sleet and snow to parts of western Scotland, Northern Ireland, Wales and the Midlands. This likely to lead to further accumulations of snow, especially on high ground, whilst also increasing the risk of ice. The track of this system is a little uncertain at present and this warning may be adjusted as and when necessary.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, Snow and Storms

The northwest thread are reporting widespread rain to sleet and hail evet on the coast.

Inland it seems to  be sleet to snow event.

I am talking about the Liverpool bay area where the finger of heavy precipitation is headed.

It seems as though it could be a rain to snow event for us as well.

MIA

Posted
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.

Heavy snow here.

• Like 1

Posted

The Metoffice Sinclair Spectrum is currently being upgraded to a Commodore 64, which should be operational in 2017.

Hehe.

I'm not saying they don't know better normally, but even the forecasters are saying they basically don't really know where it's going to go in this instance :p 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms

By 2020 they might have a Mega Drive :rofl:

Streets of Rage anyone?

Posted

Just looked outside as something is falling- and its very wet snow, on the verge of being sleet. Dont say this thing is pulling down warmer upperd or something, that snow we had earlier was of the dry powdery kind.

Posted

That big juicy band east of liverpool down through the peak district looks like its going to go JUST north of Leicester on it's current track. Go southhhh!