Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South West & Central Southern England - Weather Chat

Nick L

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk

For Cornwall!!! Yeah right

That's just a warning area, snow is still possible in areas not in that zone. But, likely not to be problematic. As it's for Sunday, still scope for changes. :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and sunny or cold and snowy. Nothing inbetween.

I'll just be twitching  :unsure2:  :blink2:  

If we don't see a decent spell of snow from this cold spell you may need to book me into old wells mental hospital  :rofl:

Let me know when your all checked in! Haha!

Posted

Nice to see that Cornwall has a snow warning as they so often miss out. Good luck cornwall

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and lots of it or warm and sunny, no mediocre dross

You know what they say......The North wind doth blow and we shall have snow...

I've been reading some stuff by Hubert Lamb on historical weather, thought you might like to hear this quote...

"The winter of 1683/84 was so cold that the ground froze to a depth of more than a meter in parts of south western England".

That's utterly incomprehensible to me, just think how cold it must have been and for how long to achieve such a remarkable depth; 2010 only achieved about 6 inches of frozen soil here.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

4.7c now after heavy hail shower around 11am and then again at 12pm. Sunny spells currently but a fresh Westerly wind, gusty!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, stormy

I'll just be twitching  :unsure2:  :blink2:  

If we don't see a decent spell of snow from this cold spell you may need to book me into old wells mental hospital  :rofl:

'Is that your usual room sir?'...

Looks like the best shot in the shorter term is mon-tues. Tricky when its so far out in model terms, but the 2013 event was picked up 5 days ahead very well, so who knows!

Posted

i still wouldn't write off seeing some Snow tonight into tomorrow , 850's are -6 / -7 , due points are -1/-2 and the dam line is at least 528 over most of us , Showers look heavy and plentiful , given the strong Cold flow . I have seen it snow in a lot more marginal conditions than this .. I expect most places will at least see falling Snow in the heavy showers tonight ... 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer:sunny, some Thunder,Winter:cold & snowy spells,Other:transitional

Lol! I'll take anything to take the edge off... Knowing me I won't sleep properly until the cold spell is over as I'll be curtain twitching and model watching!

:acute:  Sounds good to me but should I really be saying such things in an open forum.  :rofl:

Edited by gottolovethisweather

Posted
  • Location: Abingdon - 55m ASL - Capital of The Central Southern England Corridor of Winter Convectionlessness
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Snow>Freezing Fog; Summer: Sun>Daytime Storms
  • Location: Abingdon - 55m ASL - Capital of The Central Southern England Corridor of Winter Convectionlessness

Stuff that have some of my valium sweety ...

Valium sweets? I'll probably need them by the end of next week when the 'green county' is still green.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Snow>Freezing Fog; Summer: Sun>Daytime Storms

i still wouldn't write off seeing some Snow tonight into tomorrow , 850's are -6 / -7 , due points are -1/-2 and the dam line is at least 528 over most of us , Showers look heavy and plentiful , given the strong Cold flow . I have seen it snow in a lot more marginal conditions than this .. I expect most places will at least see falling Snow in the heavy showers tonight ... 

Problem is WBFL apparently, around 500 metres or something ridiculous like that. It will be down to approximately 100 metres by Sunday, but will any of these much vaunted 'features' materialise is the relevant question for then.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer:sunny, some Thunder,Winter:cold & snowy spells,Other:transitional

Ok, let's get this thread back on the straight and narrow now, some folk (myself included) have strayed somewhat off-topic from that which is suitable for this forum before the watershed hours.  :D

A calmer radar now as anticipated so here's hoping something brews up for later.

Edited by gottolovethisweather

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot in Summer Cold in Winter

Certainly feels cooler outside than it did first thing this morning

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow and summer heatwaves.

You know what they say......The North wind doth blow and we shall have snow...

I've been reading some stuff by Hubert Lamb on historical weather, thought you might like to hear this quote...

"The winter of 1683/84 was so cold that the ground froze to a depth of more than a meter in parts of south western England".

That's utterly incomprehensible to me, just think how cold it must have been and for how long to achieve such a remarkable depth; 2010 only achieved about 6 inches of frozen soil here.

I have read that too, truely incredible, did you read about the people able to walk over the top of trees over mendips as they were buried in 30 -40 foot snow drifts!?

Tonight's snow graphics seem downgraded even Ian has dropped the mendips signal on Twitter feed pretty much: -(

Edited by Nights King

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: action weather

Temp now 4.3 c and windy ,yes i think later tonight could deliver but very hit and miss as always in this type of set up ,i,v positioned my lamp ,told my wife i could be possibly curtain twitching tonight ,she said ok make sure you have clean hands and dont do it with room light on ,lets hope we have the dice fall in our favour over coming week or so ,plenty of weather features around though ,bring it on  :yahoo:  :rofl:

Posted

Back to conjecture at this junction about the low feature next Monday. The low itself will probably bring rain but the southerly moving trough in the N. airstream after could bring widespread snow. That's the line at the time of going to press.

mslp_jet_81.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms

Looks like it's going to be bone dry here for the rest of the day :(

Just hope we get some snow showers blowing inland tomorrow! If not, toys are goinf to be thrown out of prams by The Enforcer, Mark and myself! :p

Posted

Looks like it's going to be bone dry here for the rest of the day :(

Just hope we get some snow showers blowing inland tomorrow! If not, toys are goinf to be thrown out of prams by The Enforcer, Mark and myself! :p

AND MEEEEEE!!! Lol

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot, hot, hot! Or cold, cold, cold!

58% humidity. 5.2C, with a dp of -2.4C. Wind chill this afternoon so far has maxed at -0.3C (14:30). At the same time as the max gust which was 32.2 mph so that is one cooolllld wind that's a-blowin!

PS. Not my own work: http://www.southamptonweather.co.uk/

Edited by katemart

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms in the summer, frost fog & snow in winter.

For Cornwall!!! Yeah right

You act like Cornwall never gets any snow!!! Cornwall can be hit by snow showers in a northerly so I have no idea why you act so surprised that they could have a warning from the Met office for snow.

Edited by Smartie

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot, hot, hot! Or cold, cold, cold!

The question is whether those showers coming in from the Bristol Channel are maintaining their intensity.

Someone on #uksnowmap gives it 1/10 for snow in Newport.  Dare I ask Jay:

Is it snowing in Cardiff? :bomb::rofl:

Edited by katemart

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: action weather

Temp now 4 c ,just had light hail shower ,keeping fingers crossed for later ,certainly a radar situation ,interesting possibilitys for later this weekend  :yahoo:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms

The question is whether those showers coming in from the Bristol Channel are maintaining their intensity.

What about Carlisle?! Must have snow up there now surely :D

Posted

No haha, not at the moment anyway.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: The fabled channel low

Tomorrow night.

Thats OK then wouldn't want you to miss out on the disappointment when any progged snow doesn't occur :wallbash: