Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South West & Central Southern England - Weather Chat

Nick L

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow and summer heatwaves.

Nah. Wishbone affect takes place this weekend.

Shown well on the EURO4.

Don't you think a couple of disturbances could pop up close range and filter through?

from the bbc -

This Evening and Tonight

Staying dry for most of the night, but then with a line of showers travelling south across the region through the early hours. This mostly clearing around dawn, then icy stretches developing. Some showers lingering. Becoming very windy. Feeling cold.

Edited by Nights King

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme weather...heavy snow and heat waves

Anyone in here from Princetown/Devon? If it's going to snow in Cornwall/ Devon this ,I've been told is the place to be.. Was thinking of taking a drive up there tomorrow/Sunday with the sledge and kids was wondering if it would be worth the hour drive, anyone with any info much appreciated

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, Gales, frost, fog & snow

Don't you think a couple of disturbances could pop up close range and filter through?

Possibly, can never rule a scenario like that out.

I'm just saying nothing is expected for our area this weekend, PPN is more down Devon & Cornwall way.

Posted

Anyone in here from Princetown/Devon? If it's going to snow in Cornwall/ Devon this ,I've been told is the place to be.. Was thinking of taking a drive up there tomorrow/Sunday with the sledge and kids was wondering if it would be worth the hour drive, anyone with any info much appreciated

I'm thinking the same, EURO 4 shows a nice streamer that could give some decent snow over the Moor

15013112_3012.gif 15013115_3012.gif

Though if it does verify the higher roads could become a bit tricky..

The webcam showed a bit of snow this morning, receded to the higher hills on the moor this afternoon, though the snow level should lower again tonight/tomorrow if there are decent enough showers.

however as with showers no guarantee and a slight shift could leave the moor with not much.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, Gales, frost, fog & snow

Interesting that the 12z EC Det shows something akin to what Ian described a few posts above for next Monday night/Tuesday.

We are still in the game.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold snow, thunderstorms

Hi all. Please could I request that my posts here aren't cross-posted to the MOD forum. Thanks. They're specifically posted here for W Country folk.

Sorry I will get my coat!!

Posted

I'm thinking the same, EURO 4 shows a nice streamer that could give some decent snow over the Moor

15013112_3012.gif 15013115_3012.gif

Though if it does verify the higher roads could become a bit tricky..

The webcam showed a bit of snow this morning, receded to the higher hills on the moor this afternoon, though the snow level should lower again tonight/tomorrow if there are decent enough showers.

however as with showers no guarantee and a slight shift could leave the moor with not much.

Thanks for the heads up ET, will check in the morning...Have you got a link to the web cam you mentioned?

Thanks again

JB

Posted
  • Location: Abingdon - 55m ASL - Capital of The Central Southern England Corridor of Winter Convectionlessness
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Snow>Freezing Fog; Summer: Sun>Daytime Storms
  • Location: Abingdon - 55m ASL - Capital of The Central Southern England Corridor of Winter Convectionlessness

Trough running south into Tues still a (pretty significant) snow threat across W Country from latest UKMO-GM. Tricky times ahead. Joy.... not.

Hi Ian, I appreciate your updates on here. Technically I don't reside within the Points West area, but N-W assigns me to this regional thread. At this stage, is there an equal threat to Oxfordshire as the West Country from the Tuesday trough? I ask, because the modelling on the latest fax chart seems to line it up as if it would only pass along the western side of the UK:

post-992-0-47379700-1422645070_thumb.png

Edited by The Enforcer

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer:sunny, some Thunder,Winter:cold & snowy spells,Other:transitional

Interesting that the 12z EC Det shows something akin to what Ian described a few posts above for next Monday night/Tuesday.

We are still in the game.

And one or two of the amateurs had the same general idea too, which shows their efforts are worthwhile, which is always nice to hear.  :D

Edited by gottolovethisweather

Posted

Nice trough forming over the Borders area. Can it extend and pep up to the West and bring a bit more precip through our region later?

Posted

Nice trough forming over the Borders area. Can it extend and pep up to the West and bring a bit more precip through our region later?

National weather showed it at lunchtime heading south over night... although it breaks in two out of wales with a dry space in middle over Bristol area :rofl:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: winter and summer

Something the GFS has been on for a few runs now bringing in some cracking cold uppers and a good bit of precipitation for Cornwall for a good part of Tuesday .

One to watch .... Charts from GFS12z morning and midday .Cornwall!post-19059-0-44264200-1422645880_thumb.jpost-19059-0-64886300-1422645860_thumb.j

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer:sunny, some Thunder,Winter:cold & snowy spells,Other:transitional

National weather showed it at lunchtime heading south over night... although it breaks in two out of wales with a dry space in middle over Bristol area :rofl:

DE JA VU.  :nonono:

Posted

DE JA VU.  :nonono:

It's still up on bbc website for moment if you take a look...

I think Moses lives in the west country... :wallbash:

post-8911-0-81337200-1422646813_thumb.pn

Edited by Nights King

Posted

Something the GFS has been on for a few runs now bringing in some cracking cold uppers and a good bit of precipitation for Cornwall for a good part of Tuesday .

One to watch .... Charts from GFS12z morning and midday .Cornwall!attachicon.gifimage.jpgattachicon.gifimage.jpg

As AWD alluded to yesterday I think it was, if I were living in Cornwall and Devon I would be getting a wee bit excited right now. Below is my take on your little patch over the coming days as posted up thread.  :good:

https://forum.netweather.tv/topic/82389-south-west-central-southern-england-weather-chat/?p=3154300

Edited by gottolovethisweather

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe weather enthusiast

:laugh: Just like what often happens with thunderstorms (although 2014 the region did quite well)

Posted

Precip on the West end started thinning out on the next frame just as I posted LOL.

Looking for any possible clutch of a shower now. If a Polar Low can form out of nowhere (I still think it was a shortwave that bigged itself up) who knows what might pop up at short notice.

Posted

If only we could get a repeat of that channel streamer  :rofl:  What year was this again 2010?

100_0145_zps0d06cfb5.jpg

Posted

Hi Ian, I rarely post on here but was wondering if you see any potential for snow down here in Poole early next week? I appreciate how difficult the forecast is at the minute but just wanted to hear your view if you get a chance.

Thank you, Andy.

As with all snow events Andy, we are either too far west, too far south or in this case too far east.

One of the joys of living in the middle along the south coast I'm afraid, where you rarely will get the ideal conditions, note I said rarely and not never. Like Kent I am one of those born to remember the winter of '63, so I know it can happen, under extremes, OR perfect alignment.

Posted
Thanks for the heads up ET, will check in the morning...Have you got a link to the web cam you mentioned?

Thanks again

JB[/quote

Hi JB sorry I can't post the link on my phone but search under 'Dartmoor Webcam' and it will give you the cam for Powderham Mill, Postbridge, just on from Princetown. It's in a bit of a dip but you can see a couple of the tors in the background. They were looking slightly white this morning but gone again by lunch.

Festival King is slighter closer to Princetown than me, he's sure to post if there's a covering. Fingers crossed for you.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: winter and summer

As AWD alluded to yesterday I think it was, if I were living in Cornwall and Devon I would be getting a wee bit excited right now. Below is my take on your little patch over the coming days as posted up thread.  :good:

https://forum.netweather.tv/topic/82389-south-west-central-southern-england-weather-chat/?p=3154300

. oh I am very much. Had my eye on the GFS run for a couple of days now so feeling very positive Tuesday will be a white one! It's now my day off!

Keep the faith!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Snow>Freezing Fog; Summer: Sun>Daytime Storms

I have found that the NMM model has forecasted the track of this winter's snow events relatively well. It had the eastern track of the precipitation for yesterday as early as its Thurs 00Z:post-992-0-82956200-1422646503_thumb.pngpost-992-0-66044800-1422646504_thumb.png

So what does Friday 12z predict (apologies for inevitable focus towards eastern side of the region where I am):

post-992-0-55252500-1422646576_thumb.png - Saturday morning showers moving south-eastwards containing greater proportion of snow than in BBC forecast which shows almost entirely rain

post-992-0-84190900-1422646601_thumb.png - Saturday evening band developing across central UK and moving southwards - quite light but all snow can't compare with BBC charts at this stage

post-992-0-18341100-1422646666_thumb.png - Sunday morning area of snow moving south-eastwards from Wales

post-992-0-76168200-1422646647_thumb.png - Monday morning extent of Low grazing Cornwall

post-992-0-43110600-1422646696_thumb.png - Monday lunchtime 'Tuesday trough' moving into northern Scotland

It will be interesting to compare these with the 18z to see how much these change.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, cold and Storms

I used to be live in Princetown and yes, on an event like this we would get a lot of snow and it is definitely the place to be. However, be warned that if you intend to travel up there you will be joining most people within a 20 mile radius so it blocks up all the roads, which leaves the locals disgruntled! Secondly, everywhere from Princetown is down a hill so whilst you may get up there, you might have a job getting back out again!

Posted

Thanks again

JB[/quote

Hi JB sorry I can't post the link on my phone but search under 'Dartmoor Webcam' and it will give you the cam for Powderham Mill, Postbridge, just on from Princetown. It's in a bit of a dip but you can see a couple of the tors in the background. They were looking slightly white this morning but gone again by lunch.

Festival King is slighter closer to Princetown than me, he's sure to post if there's a covering. Fingers crossed for you.

Thanks SC, will check them out in the morning, not sure if it's best to go up tomorrow morning or Sunday. I live too close to the coast to get any snow so need to drive further afield and Princetown looks like a good shot

Thanks again

JB