Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South West & Central Southern England - Weather Chat

Nick L

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme weather...heavy snow and heat waves

I used to be live in Princetown and yes, on an event like this we would get a lot of snow and it is definitely the place to be. However, be warned that if you intend to travel up there you will be joining most people within a 20 mile radius so it blocks up all the roads, which leaves the locals disgruntled! Secondly, everywhere from Princetown is down a hill so whilst you may get up there, you might have a job getting back out again!

Ok thanks BOP, looks like there's a nice Inn in town, so if we get stuck at least we will have somewhere to stay (and an excuse to have a day off work on Monday)

JB

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Day after tomorrow.

Thanks for the heads up ET, will check in the morning...Have you got a link to the web cam you mentioned?

Thanks again

JB

Don't go near any roads between plym and Princetown if i was you.there will be half of Plymouth trying to get out there aswel. Also be prepared for possible blizzard conditions.TRUST ME IT BLOODY STINGS!

EDIT: looks like the beast beat me to it.

Edited by BM4PM

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, cold and Storms

Ok thanks BOP, looks like there's a nice Inn in town, so if we get stuck at least we will have somewhere to stay (and an excuse to have a day off work on Monday)

JB

That's ok. There are 2 places. The Plume of Feathers and the Prince of Wales. Probably a good idea to book in advance, they can get busy. There is a couple of bunk houses as well.

But take it from someone who used to live there. I only live 15 minutes away form it now and even I wouldn't dare venture up there when snow is coming. Its horrendous on the roads. And totally agree with BM4PM, absolutely everyone from Plymouth will be heading up there! Snow is the holy grail, but its not worth the hassle of that!

If you go though, be careful and most of all, have fun mate!

Posted

Don't go near any roads between plym and Princetown if i was you.there will be half of Plymouth trying to get out there aswel. Also be prepared for possible blizzard conditions.TRUST ME IT BLOODY STINGS!

EDIT: looks like the beast beet me to it.

Didn't think we were in for that much snow BM (or are you aving a laugh)

Posted

That's ok. There are 2 places. The Plume of Feathers and the Prince of Wales. Probably a good idea to book in advance, they can get busy. There is a couple of bunk houses as well.

But take it from someone who used to live there. I only live 15 minutes away form it now and even I wouldn't dare venture up there when snow is coming. Its horrendous on the roads. And totally agree with BM4PM, absolutely everyone from Plymouth will be heading up there! Snow is the holy grail, but its not worth the hassle of that!

If you go though, be careful and most of all, have fun mate!

Cheers mate, will take all that on board. Sounds a bit manic!!! Do you know of any other good, quieter places to go, I've promised the kids snow and sledging my youngest hasn't seen snow yet,but I didn't think there would be that much. Will you be venturing out in the snow this wkend?

Posted

Didn't think we were in for that much snow BM (or are you aving a laugh)

no not having a laugh. me and the mrs got caught out one time now she refuses to go out there lol.The weather out there can get nasty and very unpredictable. DONT LET ME PUT YOU OFF THOUGH! ITS ALL AN  ADVENTURE SO ENJOY.

High willhays is the highest point on dartmoor just south of Okehampton. You may be better of going there.

Edited by BM4PM

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, cold and Storms

Cheers mate, will take all that on board. Sounds a bit manic!!! Do you know of any other good, quieter places to go, I've promised the kids snow and sledging my youngest hasn't seen snow yet,but I didn't think there would be that much. Will you be venturing out in the snow this wkend?

That's ok. It can get very manic! You will presumably be coming through Tavistock way. There will be places before you get to Princetown on the moors and also, if you carry on through Rundlestone rather than turn right to go past the Prison and into Princetown, keep heading for signs towards Exeter, you will find some good spots up there. That takes you past Princetown and that way you are the other side of Princetown from Plymouth and it shouldn't be anywhere near as busy that way.

Have fun mate!

Posted

Thanks BM, like I said to Beast, sounds a bit manic! Do you know of any quieter, more accessible places to go sledging? (any of the moors will do)

Cheers JB

Posted

That's ok. It can get very manic! You will presumably be coming through Tavistock way. There will be places before you get to Princetown on the moors and also, if you carry on through Rundlestone rather than turn right to go past the Prison and into Princetown, keep heading for signs towards Exeter, you will find some good spots up there. That takes you past Princetown and that way you are the other side of Princetown from Plymouth and it shouldn't be anywhere near as busy that way.

Have fun mate!

Thanks for the info Beast, will definitely check those places out, let's hope we get a good couple of days

JB

Edited by John Badrick

Posted

Thanks BM, like I said to Beast, sounds a bit manic! Do you know of any quieter, more accessible places to go sledging? (any of the moors will do)

Cheers JB

no worries JB, like i said high willhays is the highest point on dartmoor but i'm not sure how you'd get up there. A friend of mine likes mary tavi for sledging because there isn't loads of rocks around there. 

Edited by BM4PM

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow, freezing rain, hail, thunderstorms!

no worries JB, like i said high willhays is the highest point on dartmoor but i'm not sure how you'd get up there. A friend of mine likes mary tavi for sledging because there isn't loads of rocks around there.

Lived in Plymouth all my life until 2010 and for years been sledging up there, as advised by Beast etc, apart from the roads being dodgy and blocked with cars, Princetown area will be full of people, but if you go on the northern side towards Postbridge or even just outside Princetown, near Two Bridges it should be less manic!!

As someone has suggested; The Road (A386)south bound from the A30 towards Tavistock has many good places with higher Tors - that are accessible - Sourton being one, but a number of spots are along that route. Jealous - HAVE FUN, looks like there will be a good snow covering up there!!

Posted

Hmm. First time this winter we've seen a few anticyclonic members in EC-EPS set-up across Scandinavia to any marked degree in the clusters. Still a minority by mid-month, but not strictly as an insignificant signal. Some colder cyclonic solutions too. Jury out.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and sunny or cold and snowy. Nothing inbetween.

Hmm. First time this winter we've seen a few anticyclonic members in EC-EPS set-up across Scandinavia to any marked degree in the clusters. Still a minority by mid-month, but not strictly as an insignificant signal. Some colder cyclonic solutions too. Jury out.

Sounds intriguing....

Posted

Bristol Streamer from Cardigan Bay?

I'm going all out for anything now!

:rofl:  That is brilliant.

Roll on spring indeed Ian! I wouldn't mind getting out and doing some carp fishing don't fancy sitting by a lake in this weather. I did night fish a lake in the middle of winter once and woke up to a harsh frost and the lake froze over! After that I said never again!  :rofl:

18z's are about to roll in now folks!  :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and sunny or cold and snowy. Nothing inbetween.

Too intriguing for my liking. Roll-on spring and let's be done with all this messy stuff. ;-)

As long as you promise at least one decent snowfall before then ;)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Southerly tracking low pressure in winter. Hot and thundery in the summer

Too intriguing for my liking. Roll-on spring and let's be done with all this messy stuff. ;-)

Lol Fergi you can't make comments like that In here it'll get you a warning !

Iv saw very little snow in 2 years and beginning to combust so please send some snow to us snow starved obsessed freaks !!!!

Posted

We haven't had winter in North Somerset yet Ian.....we are still banking on your local influence. 

Edited by cidersnow

Posted

Hahahaha Roll on spring! Welcome to the dark side ... !!! ;-) (NO ONE POST THAT IN THE MOD THREAD HAHAHAAA!!!)

Edited by *Stormforce~beka*

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.

The 18z GEFS suite last night had a massive flip almost on mass towards a scandi high but thought it might be an outlier suite, particularly wrt your post regarding EC32 and GLOSEA5 and general update, plus the GFS strat warmings being downgraded lately (vortex returning more towards pole) made me think Feb might end up being of little note (cold and snow wise), however, maybe there is hope yet. 

Posted

Poor Ian f asked for things not to be put in mod thread and surprise surprise, there it is. We are lucky to have him in our sw thread should respect his wishes. Rant over

Posted

0.0c here, Dewpoint -1c hoping for some snow showers overnight

It's quite possible given expected developments from NW tonight. Ditto more to SW: awkward forecast mix however, of rain/sleet/snow.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

Just had a sleet and hail shower here in Falmouth about 30 minutes ago. :)