Cold?
IGNORED

South West & Central Southern England - Weather Chat

Nick L

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk

1.8mm of rain this morning.

Currently 4.8°C and perfect blue skies.

I'd like to add to the fact that while many were banging the cold drum for this cold spell, last week... It was colder then, than it is now. While I appreciate that it is a cold spell, the term "freeze" keeps cropping up on social media, and yet I haven't dropped below 2°C :)

Edited by Mapantz

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer:sunny, some Thunder,Winter:cold & snowy spells,Other:transitional

Of note, keeping things in perspective here with regard to whether this upcoming cold spell is noteworthy, if it produces a single Air frost (yes, simply one) then it will be better than last February. What a horrid February that was, nothing like the one upcoming which offers a few opportunities for snow, Frosts, high wind chills, gin clear skies and ah pretty much, beautiful weather by comparison.

Back later to view the afternoon runs.  :friends:

Edited by gottolovethisweather

Posted

I'm afraid we're 'suffering' a typical South West Winter guys and gals.

Generally speaking it's been a North/South split UK Winter.

Even our friends on the south west moors havent had that much snow or more specifically decent depth snow lasting a few days.

Cant think of much more to say about this Winter really. At times it's felt like a phase of Autumn.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow and summer heatwaves.

I'm afraid we're 'suffering' a typical South West Winter guys and gals.

Generally speaking it's been a North/South split UK Winter.

Even our friends on the south west moors havent had that much snow or more specifically decent depth snow lasting a few days.

Cant think of much more to say about this Winter really. At times it's felt like a phase of Autumn.

I know even when everyone was your safe at that elevation I knew something didn't feel right as it was melting outside.

Never mind we have been told for several days now that Monday/Tuesday are when our really cold weather with snow risk for all starts...   :cc_confused:  :search:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot sunny summers, cold snowy winters

I know even when everyone was your safe at that elevation I knew something didn't feel right as it was melting outside.

Never mind we have been told for several days now that Monday/Tuesday are when our really cold weather with snow risk for all starts...   :cc_confused:  :search:

Always jam tomorrow for our area...

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Fair to Foul...

3.4c.  Still gusting N.Westerly 23kmh. Otherwise, Clear blue sky with Glorious Sunshine ... 

Posted

I See a new period of Snow is showing for us tomorrow night .... Wonder if it will actually happen this time . 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot sunny , cold and snowy, thunderstorms

Totally agree. One thing I've been at pains to stress is that the cold only feels more pronounced because of conditions last winter and (largely) through current one. It's by no means exceptional whatsoever and hyperbolic stuff in certain newspapers has grossly embellished the scope of it all... including versus climatology!!

Currently (for us down here) this 'cold' spell is nothing other than that.

Good for them up North, but again for us down here, we are just feeding of scraps from the snow gods :)

Posted

Is that threat of a snow event Mon/Tues for part of SW gone away?

No, it's currently still on the other side of the Atlantic, subject to change. Could completely miss us, could completely dump snow on us, could dump rain on us. Not done yet! it's still to early IMO to completely write that off.

6z misses southern UK like the 0z. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy Winters, Torrential Storm Summers

I See a new period of Snow is showing for us tomorrow night .... Wonder if it will actually happen this time . 

Where are you seeing that? Euro4 just has it as rain. 

Posted

Agree with others that there really is nothing exceptional about this cold spell. Pretty average fayre. However, it is a lovely day out there today and it's great to see the Sun again.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Fair to Foul...

Clouding up now.... 4.5c. N. Westerly breeze  gusting to 18 km/h.

Posted

I think the key advice is to treat all signals re occlusion debris and small-scale perturbations as untrustworthy. That's what we are doing now until short lead times. Ditto into next week.

Posted

Where are you seeing that? Euro4 just has it as rain. 

I would expect euro 4 to upgrade that a little nearer the time , as by Sunday morning we should be in a much Colder Airmass . 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk

An absolute beaut of a day! 7°C now, feels lovely sat in the sun.

The cat is enjoying it, he's been running around chasing leaves.

post-15177-0-40053500-1422617417_thumb.j

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot in Summer Cold in Winter

Almost a nowcast situation over the next few days, I think I will be keeping my expectations low so if anything does fall then it will be a bonus.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms

Well, that was a complete waste of time! Stayed up till 4am tracking the radar and seeing what would happen. After waiting for what seemed like an eternity for the PPN to reach Oxford, it fell as rain!

Even my old stomping ground Leicester got an inch or so!

Hoping some surprises crop up in the next week but I can't see it. I think we will be too far inland to get any snow from the rest of this cold spell.

Posted

Well, that was a complete waste of time! Stayed up till 4am tracking the radar and seeing what would happen. After waiting for what seemed like an eternity for the PPN to reach Oxford, it fell as rain!

Even my old stomping ground Leicester got an inch or so!

Hoping some surprises crop up in the next week but I can't see it. I think we will be too far inland to get any snow from the rest of this cold spell.

Good effort....but not worth it in such marginal conditions. :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cool and dry

As more learned members of the forum always say...'Lets get the cold in first and then worry about the snow'...

Is it cold? No, not really, therefore chances of snow at the moment are low to zero

Posted

As more learned members of the forum always say...'Lets get the cold in first and then worry about the snow'...

Is it cold? No, not really, therefore chances of snow at the moment are low to zero

Haha brilliant. Spot on........where's the cold? I mean temps at 0 during the day for settling snow!!