Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South West & Central Southern England - Weather Chat

Nick L

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms

EURO4 will be out soon but I still don't think this is going to tell us much over the next few hours just be wise to keep an eye on radar :D

NMM 2km

nmm_uk1-1-7-0.png?29-23

nmm_uk1-1-8-0.png?29-23

That looks more promising for Oxford! BANK!!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything extreme

Confused....1c at 7pm, now at 4.6c ....BBC gives a high of 7c for tomorrow in this neck of the woods (nr glasto) it just doesn't seem like much below avge. Someone tell me what I'm missing? I know MOD thread is all very excited about their ' Jam tomorrow' but after driving across the Mendips this eve where there was a light cover of wet verge snow, which isn't at all unusual in jan, I'm totaly underwhelmed so far. First ever post btw.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot in Summer Cold in Winter

Confused....1c at 7pm, now at 4.6c ....BBC gives a high of 7c for tomorrow in this neck of the woods (nr glasto) it just doesn't seem like much below avge. Someone tell me what I'm missing? I know MOD thread is all very excited about their ' Jam tomorrow' but after driving across the Mendips this eve where there was a light cover of wet verge snow, which isn't at all unusual in jan, I'm totaly underwhelmed so far. First ever post btw.

Welcome, I think the real cold is due tomorrow/Sat

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot, hot, hot! Or cold, cold, cold!

EURO4 will be out soon but I still don't think this is going to tell us much over the next few hours just be wise to keep an eye on radar :D

NMM 2km

nmm_uk1-1-7-0.png?29-23

nmm_uk1-1-8-0.png?29-23

Missing me by inches. I'm already hurting to see all the ppn passing east of London :sorry:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

Right last one from me, Temp 0.4c. Dew point -1c. Polar low meant to be near here by 2am is, so will probably pop back in then, Time for sleep.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot in Summer Cold in Winter

This was this afternoon,

15778427233_bd79b3be43_c.jpgEastington 1981 by Richie C1, on Flickr

Ok I'm telling a little fib!, this is where I live but the photo taken by a mate in 1981 not sure of the date though.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk

It'll be interesting to see how low the pressure gets down to here. The center of the low looks to track somewhere between Brighton and the IoW (not certain of course)

post-15177-0-20663900-1422571851_thumb.ppost-15177-0-27502100-1422571857_thumb.p

Those charts tie in well with the MetO wind warnings.

Edited by Mapantz

Posted

so, a polar low on the way down with an exit point somewhere around here with current temperature of 4.5 and a dew point of 3.0 why am I not trembling with excitement.

Posted

I still beleive areas over 125 mtrs+ in the NE of the region Could see a couple of inches.

If you can't get snow on the hills in late Jan from a Northerly shortwave then you may as well call it a day!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and sunny or cold and snowy. Nothing inbetween.

so, a polar low on the way down with an exit point somewhere around here with current temperature of 4.5 and a dew point of 3.0 why am I not trembling with excitement.

Ditto. Temp keeps rising here so I'm fully expecting rain

Posted
  • Location: Abingdon - 55m ASL - Capital of The Central Southern England Corridor of Winter Convectionlessness
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Snow>Freezing Fog; Summer: Sun>Daytime Storms
  • Location: Abingdon - 55m ASL - Capital of The Central Southern England Corridor of Winter Convectionlessness

Temp now down to 0.5*C new minimum for today.

Posted

Ditto. Temp keeps rising here so I'm fully expecting rain

Yeah and some will tell you if the ppn is high enough it will lower temps. What that really means is our heavier pulses of rain will be even colder.

Posted

Yeah and some will tell you if the ppn is high enough it will lower temps. What that really means is our heavier pulses of rain will be even colder.

Was snow forecasted for Poole in your forecast? As I understand it was only the far NE of the S/W region - even this area will me marginal in my view - especially as the temps/DP seem to be on the rise....

Edited by theprophecyman

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow and summer heatwaves.

I still beleive areas over 125 mtrs+ in the NE of the region Could see a couple of inches.

If you can't get snow on the hills in late Jan from a Northerly shortwave then you may as well call it a day!

What about over 250 in central areas... north eastern edge of normal Somerset close to banes it's gonna be close...

Posted

Was snow forecasted for Poole in your forecast? As I understand it was only the far NE of the S/W region - even this area will me marginal in my view - especially as the temps/DP seem to be on the rise....

No and none anticipated either.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms

Hmm slightly worried, 205m up here and it is sleet not snow. Really warmed in past half hour. Any chance of it cooling off again??

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.

Anyone would think rain is moving up from the southwest the way the temperature is rising - 03.5C and not feeling anywhere near as cold as 4pm this afternoon. Another damp squib to come methinks.

Posted

Latest from Ian F

W COUNTRY 2315hrs latest analysis reduces snow risk tonight generally, with likely exception of parts of #Cotswolds & E #Wiltshire

W COUNTRY CONT'D...even where snow falls, slightly milder air follows so may turn anyway to rain/sleet. So hopefully no major issues by dawn

Edited by theprophecyman

Posted

Well, the wind warning is certainly valid.. Getting gusty out there. I'm off to bed - at least the cold looks here to stay for a while yet.

Latest from Ian F

W COUNTRY 2315hrs latest analysis reduces snow risk tonight generally, with likely exception of parts of #Cotswolds & E #Wiltshire uplands

Did you have to shout that?! Rub it in our faces ((sob))

Posted

Well, the wind warning is certainly valid.. Getting gusty out there. I'm off to bed - at least the cold looks here to stay for a while yet.

Did you have to shout that?! Rub it in our faces ((sob))

Was just the way it got copy and pasted - sorry, didnt mean to rub it in.....

Roll on next week then..... Hopefully things will be more positive for the South West.

Edited by theprophecyman

Posted

Was just the way it got copy and pasted - sorry, didnt mean to rub it in.....

Roll on next week then..... Hopefully things will be more positive for the South West.

I was only joking :) yes hope so :)