Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South West & Central Southern England - Weather Chat

Nick L

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer:sunny, some Thunder,Winter:cold & snowy spells,Other:transitional

Had some snow again move over last night around 4am ish, was only light but was still nice to see :D

You better let isleofwightsnowgal/Helen (?) know as she was probably unaware that it had snowed on the island, as was I until it was confirmed by PB who lives around my patch, so I can now add it to the records for posterity. 

Edited by gottolovethisweather

Posted

Having been out for  walk this is the coldest feel since March 2013 so even without the snow it is properly wintry, that dry cuts right through you coldness thanks to low dewpoints and always the thought that snow flurries could blow through on the breeze as clouds pass.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, cold and Storms

We went up onto the moor early this morning whilst it was quiet and had breakfast at the Fox's Tor then went for a stomp around. Bitterly cold in the wind, but stunning in the sun.

On our way back, we were just in time to catch the herds of people making their way up, and as Festival King said, cars abandoned on the road side, hardly any room to get through. Police Landrovers were just arriving as we left.

I understand the desperation to see the snow but a bit more attention to parking might be a good idea!!!

Must have been nice up there. I have to say, a couple of years ago when I live there and we had a lot of snow, it was heaven when they closed the roads for a day, because we could enjoy the snow! But the people who travel up from town have no consideration for people like you guys who actually live on the moors. Just park where they stop. That's why, no matter how tempting it is to come up and see the snow, I won't do it because I know how annoying it is!

Anyway, had a lovely walk in plym bridge woods today. No snow but nice and cold!

Posted

Had a temporary covering of snow this morning at around 2am. Was out in Petersfield just to the North of me in the South Downs. Was a good covering there but was still noticeable further towards home. Low temperature was 0c when snow was falling at 2.30am. Covering didn't last the night as temperatures climbed back to 2c, so all melted.

Still got a good week of cold weather continuing, looks like its a return to cold, frosty nights and sunny days with varied amounts of cloud. Models struggling with later this weekend, but nothing by no means set in stone yet.

After the 06z GFS this morning changing its tune again, I'm awaiting the 12z with open eyes!

SM

Posted

Nice day, dare I say warm in the sunshine, max temp 6.9. Still waiting...

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold / Snow

interesting potential for snow shower building coming straight towards the Island from Oxford  due about 1900, will hit Southampton and Pompey if it builds

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms

Just on a break at work and I thought i'd check the radar in blind hope rather than expecting anything close by...

What I see though is a heavy snow shower about 20 miles away and heading straight for us! It looks to have pepped up as it's headed South again. This wasn't forecast was it?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer:sunny, some Thunder,Winter:cold & snowy spells,Other:transitional

Another wintry shower heading for the Oxfordshire region, if it maintains its intensity I will hopefully gain another snow day, not the same as lying snow I know but certainly proves it is a cold day IMBY should it produce the goods once again. Maybe parts of North Hampshire will get in on the action too within an hour or so.

As far as I know, you can't get snow from a mild air source apart from say, in April or May, so a cold day yet again it is, at least to me, although not a remarkable one. Another five to six days of a chill to the air to come too, if not many more days after that. :cold:  

Posted

Just on a break at work and I thought i'd check the radar in blind hope rather than expecting anything close by...

What I see though is a heavy snow shower about 20 miles away and heading straight for us! It looks to have pepped up as it's headed South again. This wasn't forecast was it?

Seems to be on the Netweather 06z NMM.

post-9530-0-97897500-1422807357_thumb.jp

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow! Exciting weather!

Just outside Oxford - been snowing (flurry) for 20 minutes - nice to see! :)

Posted

interesting potential for snow shower building coming straight towards the Island from Oxford  due about 1900, will hit Southampton and Pompey if it builds

Hi Rem, agreed but I think your timings will be out and it might not quite make it past Winchester before dying out, due to the South Downs zapping its energy levels down, anyway who knows. 

Welcome aboard in any case, would you please be so kind as to update your profile to show your location.   :good:

Posted

Wow, that is impressive accuracy from the NMM! It's almost perfect alignment with the actual radar!

Indeed, the NMM has been pretty good for accuracy recently! Was near perfect last night compared to Euro4 ect. 

Posted

Radar has it gaining in intensity and exiting thru the Island certainly one to keep an eye on I agree its predicted rather than actual but at least it is delivery in Oxford region at the moment

Posted

Snowing now :D and it's pretty heavy and settling! Very dry looking snow, more like polystyrene balls!

Hailstones then mate!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and snow but not together

Ooh just need it to travel directly south and not South East and we could be in with some of that Oxford ppn... Please just please.

Posted

looks to be taking a more South Easterly Track, come out of nowhere over the past 40 min

Edited by Rem

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme weather...heavy snow and heat waves

Thanks to guys and gals on here for the heads up on where to go on the moors today we got our snow day. Went in to Princetown as well and you were right it was very hectic, lots of accidents, but all in all a good adventure. Will be checking the web cam next weekend just incase we get more snow down here

post-17869-0-27845200-1422809140_thumb.j

post-17869-0-10816800-1422809151_thumb.j

Posted

Hailstones then mate!

MPG are you always on the wind up?  :p  Please let others enjoy the rarity of the cold liquid crystals falling from the sky just this once.

You might get your share too some day, you just never know.  :good:

Posted

Dew Point falling Steadily here now -1.5 C   air temp 4 C

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and snow but not together

looks to be taking a more South Easterly Track, come out of nowhere over the past 40 min

I know Rem.. I was just trying a little pleading. He who dares and all... Lol