Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South West & Central Southern England - Weather Chat

Nick L

Posted

just a little interest for those of us in the north and north east of the region on Friday, as a little open low zips along the south coast/English Channel.......the 12z NMM models quite a bit of ppn for the region as a whole, with dewpoints and T850's just low enough to give the chance of a wintry flavour to ppn, with the 0c isotherm modeled to drop to 500-400m......a bit of straw clutching, yes....but possibly worth keeping one eye on

Latest analysis does increase prospect of wintry potential across Cotswolds.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.

I just find it amazing that if cold air was in place, that low forming over the southern UK but track too far south to give a widespread event. Yet, no doubt it will track perfectly to give everyone a sodden day on Friday. Real shame.

Today was again lovely, definitely picked the right day to be working in Reading and driving on the M4. Don't think I'd fancy it in the rain!

Posted

I just find it amazing that IFcold air was in place, that low forming over the southern UK but track too far south to give a widespread event. Yet, no doubt it will track perfectly to give everyone a sodden day on Friday. Real shame.

Another of this winter's BIG IF's

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot in Summer Cold in Winter

And today's positive is, it started raining once I had got to work.

Posted

Well with thanks to Mother Nature for ensuring the rain held off until after my requested 9am! It meant I could get this week's required work finished without another soaking (Monday!) with just a few short sharp showers and even a colourful sunrise and rainbow to enjoy!

Absolutely foul now with driving rain and a gusty SW wind, 7.8c .

Posted

Yep, the band was late this morning so we managed to get out amongst it. Not a patch on Tue/Wed morning though.

We're now stuck in a bit of a sucker's gap, with the heavy stuff on the way.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow and summer heatwaves.

Still looks a touch wintry on hills over next few days but I can't see any real snow risk currently.

Wet and cold today  :sorry:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer:sunny, some Thunder,Winter:cold & snowy spells,Other:transitional

A nice embedded squall line developing at the moment, just east of Exeter and heading our way...

Yes, my eyes are on that too. So often they die a death before reaching these parts, so we'll have to see what it produces I guess. Dank, dark and dismal today with a more active regime now set to become the norm, a little wintriness in between bands of rain and wind looks the general pattern for the rest of February then. A cooler February than is usually the case but again it lacks the snow prospects, oh well still time for some fun and games yet,

Posted

Yes, my eyes are on that too. So often they die a death before reaching these parts, so we'll have to see what it produces I guess. Dank, dark and dismal today with a more active regime now set to become the norm, a little wintriness in between bands of rain and wind looks the general pattern for the rest of February then. A cooler February than is usually the case but again it lacks the snow prospects, oh well still time for some fun and games yet,

Still chugging on nicely now just east of Yeovil and west of Swindon.. Looks to have faded slightly on the southern end.

Edited by Dorsetbred
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.

Not the most desirable of days today with persistent moderate rain and a bit breezy. All very boring with the temperature hovering around 7C. The brighter pm interludes will be most welcome, even more so into March with increased sun strength.

Posted
  • Location: SW of Sherborne. About a mile from the Somerset border.
  • Location: SW of Sherborne. About a mile from the Somerset border.

Squall lone went through here about ten minutes ago.

Have to agree, Mapantz, looks as though it might be relatively clear by 16.00, unless it's going to do something we don't see.... :cc_confused:

Posted

One thing of interest for tomorrow morning is the massive difference in the PPN tracking by the GFS, NAE and Met Office (that, I understand, use NAE output)

Latest charts for 6am Friday from the GFS, NAE and MO...

Who are your bets on? Im going For something in the middle of them all!

post-9222-0-80121100-1424353176_thumb.pn

post-9222-0-72078200-1424353234_thumb.gi

post-9222-0-96325600-1424353262_thumb.pn

Edited by Paul T

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer:sunny, some Thunder,Winter:cold & snowy spells,Other:transitional

One thing of interest for tomorrow morning is the massive difference in the PPN tracking by the GFS, NAE and Met Office (that, I understand, use NAE output)

Latest charts for 6am Friday from the GFS, NAE and MO...

Who are your bets on? Im going For something in the middls of them all!

Latest TV forecast I saw suggested it was now a far Southern coastal counties event and sadly no reference was made to wintriness on the Northern edge now, the risk of which was still there only last night. May yet surprise a few people I imagine but I don't think the parameters are favourable enough for anything exciting other than some rain now.

Edited by gottolovethisweather

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Fair to Foul...

Light rain falling. 0.3 mm last hour.... 5.1mm Today.  breeze 6km/h gusting to 11 km/h.

Posted

I think it will be 100% rain and im hoping it clears at least North Somerset as I have the day off to start my Garden Project!!

Sounds like a good prediction and plan to me.  :good:

Posted

Squall line broke up as it passed over Newbury. :nonono: