Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South West & Central Southern England - Weather Chat

Nick L

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk

Squall lone went through here about ten minutes ago.

Have to agree, Mapantz, looks as though it might be relatively clear by 16.00, unless it's going to do something we don't see.... :cc_confused:

It looks like the empty gap is filling in, more to come then?! 9.3mm so far, here. :)

Posted
  • Location: SW of Sherborne. About a mile from the Somerset border.

Yes, there seems to be quite a bit more behind the main band.  Not ventured out to the gauge yet!

Posted

8.4mm and temp showing as 8.4°C, but feeling much colder than that.

Posted

Looks like Saturday has a chance of snow on the Cotswolds and Wiltshire looking at the GFS0.25, not sure how accurate that is but looks more accurate than the normal GFS precip charts which show wider snow showers throughout the South.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: action weather

Looks like another band of hvy rain just approaching from west ,I did expect this to be more showery but now looks like another spell of persistent rain .Our hvy area of rain expected later in the night could give i think some wet snow even to modest lower levels if the intensity and timing his right .Batten down the hatches and get the Wellies out for next week ,certainly not boring ,cheers  :drinks: i,ll have a half .

Posted

Pecip. started again after my last post but has now just ceased with a clearance. Some Ci, Ac and St. Grand looking day on Sunday according to latest GFS

Chart Weatherbell

post-12275-0-48973500-1424367015_thumb.p

Edited by knocker
  • Like 1

Posted

BBC and MetO give it completely dry here, tomorrow. The models we have access to, seem to be at loggerheads with each other! My own stations forecast gives rain- it's usually on the ball as well. Radar watch it is then?!

Posted

Absolutely tipped it down here for a bit, about 20 minutes ago...

Stark contrast to yesterday when jeans and a t shirt was very comfortable to be out in. Not a boring spell of weather though, which is nice - personally I sort of enjoy rain events, as at least something is happening!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow and summer heatwaves.

Looks like Saturday has a chance of snow on the Cotswolds and Wiltshire looking at the GFS0.25, not sure how accurate that is but looks more accurate than the normal GFS precip charts which show wider snow showers throughout the South.

We have as much chance as we have seen all winter so I am surprised its not more active on the forum. all marginal and most will be wrong side of it but we have a chance in places over next few days to see at least a sniff of something wintry while it is still winter proper. :hi:

Oh wait I have heavy snow forecast for Saturday on my met office app that's scuppered my chances now. :rofl:

Torrential rain here at the moment, you can see relief rainfall at work on the Mendips looking at accumulation map.

Edited by Nights King

Posted

Massive difference in the GFS and NAE for 3 am Friday...

worth seeing who wins, as it impacts on which model we should trust:

post-9222-0-56603700-1424381684_thumb.gi

post-9222-0-43514700-1424381800_thumb.pn

Edited by Paul T
  • Like 1

Posted

Looking at latest radar - the GFS is bang on the money...

Pretty embarrassing for the Met Offices forecast app and general interpretation of the situation via the NAE high res. Shame.

Posted

Well, I recorded more rain than I thought would fall..I calibrated my Davis and Netatmo stations yesterday, and they were both pretty much spot on with my manual gauge. 16mm in the manual one, 15.8mm from the Davis, and 15.9mm from the Netatmo.

Next batch of rain has started now.

Currently 7.8C

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Fair to Foul...

Misty.. 2.18c. Humidity 90%rh.  Pressure 1006.3hpa.   Met Office local Radstock weather shows some snow symbols on Sunday... 

Posted

Looking at latest radar - the GFS is bang on the money...

Pretty embarrassing for the Met Offices forecast app and general interpretation of the situation via the NAE high res. Shame.

Looks like the MetO and BBC got it spot on. The GFS and NMM died a death on that one.

Posted

That was the wettest 24 hours for about 5 weeks (17.5mm) and it has been followed by a dry, bright day! After all the fluctuating forecasts for today ranging from clear/sunny to heavy rain it's in between with frontal cloud and some hazy sunshine after a foggy start!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Fair to Foul...

Had 8.7mm in my weather station bucket that got recorded.  In the Two manual gauges that I have one recorded 16mm The other 20mm..... So I have to put up with the recorded figure on my Records on the NOAA Monthly Report...

Posted

Cloudy and 6.5°C but at least it is dry.

20.3mm fell from that system in total. After a dry start to February, it could turn out to be above average - currently at 48.1mm

Posted

13.2mm in total to 09.00 (Feb total to date, 33.5mm)  and a dry day, but cloudy.

Posted

I'm helping someone move tomorrow, tomorrow was picked for being a nice day, and the best of the weekend. I've just gone to the BBC website, and seen that they give heavy shows from late morning until late afternoon! I've just had a gander at the charts, and i cannot find any evidence of this? What makes it even stranger is the fact that the regional forecast on the site itself, shows no rain tomorrow.  :cc_confused:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.

Well certainly a better day than expected. Thick fog to start with then a mostly bright if tad cloudy day since. Not all that mild either with the temperature struggling to get up to 6C.

Posted

I'm helping someone move tomorrow, tomorrow was picked for being a nice day, and the best of the weekend. I've just gone to the BBC website, and seen that they give heavy shows from late morning until late afternoon! I've just had a gander at the charts, and i cannot find any evidence of this? What makes it even stranger is the fact that the regional forecast on the site itself, shows no rain tomorrow.  :cc_confused:

Same here Mapantz. We picked tomorrow for a brew day in the garden. It's looked pretty good all week, but it now shows a showery afternoon.

I reckon we'll wait until tomorrow morning before we decide to retreat to the kitchen.

Posted

GFS was showing that this morning, showers later in the morning & dying out later in the PM, so not surprised.

GFS now showing a more general rain earlier in the afternoon.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and a cracking thunderstorm

Well, I believe we've got a "flood alert" for most of WsM - though I'm unsure where my nearest point of water actually is (where I'm based).

2015-02-20-wsm-1.jpg

Then about 15 minutes ago (looking East) it seems the sky was starting to fall - and a rainbow was trying it's best to appear.

2015-02-20-wsm-2.jpg

Once that has disappeared, it revealed these.

2015-02-20-wsm-3.jpg

• Like 1