Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South West & Central Southern England - Weather Chat

Nick L

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms, Heat Waves, Tornadoes.

I see hype for storms has started when in reality we can probably expect a few heavy downpours and maybe an occasional rumble of thunder..  :fool: Thunderstorms are rarer than snowstorms here in west country.

Apart from the last 2 years you mean? :D

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow and summer heatwaves.

Apart from the last 2 years you mean? :D

What do you classify as a real storm though? Heavy shower with one two three strikes or 100+  lasting longer than 5 mins 15 mins or 2 hours or longer?

Further east in region the more luck you get regarding storms but for me they are as rare as hens teeth although we did see a little more activity last year.

Edited by Nights King

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms, Heat Waves, Tornadoes.

What do you classify as a real storm though? Heavy shower with one two three strikes or 100+  lasting longer than 5 mins 15 mins or 2 hours or longer?

Further east in region the more luck you get regarding storms but for me they are as rare as hens teeth although we did see a little more activity last year.

I would class a real storm as something like what Belgium and France get or even the US.

The storms we had last year were decent with lots of lightning and some shotgun thunder which I hadn't heard for a very long time.... so it was better than nothing.

post-15744-0-97785000-1433967528_thumb.j

I think the way the setup is now, it is the sort of setup that doesn't happen often but always gives us one of our best chances when it does.

I hope you get something tomorrow.

Posted

Mixed emotions for me. Last July, I watched from Weymouth a thunderstorm passing over the Purbecks, where I live. Great spectacle, fantastic light show in the distance.

When I got home, we'd had a lightning strike. Took out 4 TV's, boiler control box & internet connection. Then............when Openreach were fixing some line damage a couple of days later, they inadvertantly took out our landline during their repairs.   :sorry:

So, on one level, hoping to see some action. On another, dreading it. Doesn't strike twice in the same place, does it? 

• Like 2

Posted

andy i am thinking of streaming the storm live from the white horse ..do you think it will be worth it ) i have 100 gig of 4g data and a hd gopro copy :) ..just thinking aloud ..

Posted

Slight change today from the system to the south. Mainly cloudy with Ci and Ac. some Cas. and spots of rain in the past hour. Temp 13C and wind easterly 20mph gusting 30.

post-12275-0-82707600-1434000262_thumb.p

post-12275-0-75637100-1434000279_thumb.p

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.

Still very fresh here, with light cloud cover and still that wind! 13C

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer:sunny, some Thunder,Winter:cold & snowy spells,Other:transitional

So then where would the locals head for a bit of storm watching in the coming 36 to 72 (previously ahead of myself) hours or so then. I'm looking for an all round vista in most directions and within a 50 mile radius of say Andover or Newbury. Tips?

Barbary Castle has been mentioned in the past and is not too far for my brother and I to travel, any other decent viewpoints?

Edited by gottolovethisweather

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer:sunny, some Thunder,Winter:cold & snowy spells,Other:transitional

andy i am thinking of streaming the storm live from the white horse ..do you think it will be worth it ) i have 100 gig of 4g data and a hd gopro copy :) ..just thinking aloud ..

I'm presuming that is the Uffington one, Andy, what's the postcode or nearest village/good vantage point for the White Horse, assuming we're not talking about a Pub.  :yahoo:  :D

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!

gottolovethisweather, on 11 Jun 2015 - 09:18, said:

So then where would the locals head for a bit of storm watching in the coming 24 to 36 hours or so then. I'm looking for an all round vista in most directions and within a 50 mile radius of say Andover or Newbury. Tips?

Barbary Castle has been mentioned in the past and is not too far for my brother and I to travel, any other decent viewpoints?

Barbary Castle is a good call Tony, I'll in all probability be up there tomorrow.........Birdlip (near Cirencester on the A417) is another good call.....and thirdly, on the A342 Andover to Devizes road, try Upavon, more particularly up by Trenchard Lines (Army camp) it's on top on a big hill with panoramic vistas

• Like 1

Posted

gottolovethisweather, on 11 Jun 2015 - 09:18, said:

Barbary Castle is a good call Tony, I'll in all probability be up there tomorrow.........Birdlip (near Cirencester on the A417) is another good call.....and thirdly, on the A342 Andover to Devizes road, try Upavon, more particularly up by Trenchard Lines (Army camp) it's on top on a big hill with panoramic vistas

Thanks AJ, I will also try a Google Earth/Maps search on them to see where appropriate parking up spaces might be as well.

18°C at 9:45am? That reminds me of Summer.. :)

Yeah even 16.1c as I type this is in sheltered normally cool setting. The humidity will soon be kicking in too, currently sitting at 79%.

Edited by gottolovethisweather

Posted

Go for it if you want Andy, perhaps see what's happening before heading up there but you'll be able to see for miles around of course!

I'm presuming that is the Uffington one, Andy, what's the postcode or nearest village/good vantage point for the White Horse, assuming we're not talking about a Pub.  :yahoo:  :D

No he'll mean Westbury White Horse, fantastic panorama to the E/N/W and S for storms wherever they are in the region.

Posted

Thanks Andy Bown.

This is a direct link to that one, should people find it of interest.

http://www.ifootpath.com/walking/walkshow.php?walkID=925&username=

Posted

my local spots are westbury white horse ,roundway hill devizes ,lords hill nr warminster . redhorn salisbury plain , anywhere on the mendips . bath uni , upton scudamore.milk hill and tan hill..

Posted

Just posted the following in the storm discussion thread in response to Ben Sainsbury.

https://forum.netweather.tv/topic/83244-storm-convective-discussion-010615-onwards/?p=3212537

Things are starting to develop.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold snow, thunderstorms

Currently cloudy with Ac (some Cas.) with temp 16C and quite windy from the ESE gusting 36mph.

is there not somthing heading your way now??

fromey

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

Some fairly moderate rain here now. Has that thundery smell to it somewhat. :)

Posted

Yup but might just pass to the east of here.

Its looking that way.

Nothing electrical showing at the moment, but there stuff kicking off just to the west of Nantes in france.

fromey

Posted

current temp here is 24.2 and feeling it as well, very breezy.

fromey

My weather station.

http://www.wunderground.com/personal-weather-station/dashboard?ID=IFROME5#history

Edited by fromey

Posted

So quite a lot of interest over us in Cornwall at the moment - but it hasn't gone BANG! ... Yet. Is it likely to or is that later on this evening/tomorrow?