Thunder?
Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

Summer 2015

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: anticyclonic unless a snow storm

So when exactly is summer going to arrive again? The following are the forecast Max temperatures for my location from tomorrow (Fri 17th) onwards.

From Yr.No...

12°     14°     12°     15°     16°     16°     14°     11°     12°

From BBC/Met...

16°     16°     13°     17°     17°     15°     15°     14°     14°

I know I'm quite far north, but oh come on, it's July! I'm not looking for a heatwave but high teens or low twenties would be nice.

It does seem to this summer is stuck under a NW/SE spilt.  Let's hope August brings us a full on southerly draw to bring the heat up.

Edited by BlueSkies_do_I_see
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines

So when exactly is summer going to arrive again? The following are the forecast Max temperatures for my location from tomorrow (Fri 17th) onwards.

From Yr.No...

12°     14°     12°     15°     16°     16°     14°     11°     12°

From BBC/Met...

16°     16°     13°     17°     17°     15°     15°     14°     14°

I know I'm quite far north, but oh come on, it's July! I'm not looking for a heatwave but high teens or low twenties would be nice.

Fully sympathise with you, those are disgustingly bad July max temps, even for a northerly location like yours. A southerly draw that lasts more than 10 minutes and affects the whole country would be great. Or a nice sunny high sat right over us for a week or two. Am finding this 'summer' incredibly frustrating, this last week alone has been such a waste of potential. Grey humid and drizzly with warm uppers....ok, a day I can handle but nearly a week? We are halfway through the season and I can count the number of hot days on one hand. Yet it's drier than the Sahel here lol. I really hope Aug bucks recent trends and saves the summer!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.

Forecast: warm and mostly sunny, 23C

Reality: dark, grey with light drizzle, 18C

I'm actually looking forward to tomorrow and Saturday despite the forecast wind, as at least the sun will be out. Since last Saturday it has been horrifically dull in this neck of the woods.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish plumes, hot and sunny with thunderstorms

This summer has been fairly variable across the UK really. For the far north it has been a very poor summer, but for the South Coast I believe it has been a very good one. For my area personally, June was quite a poor month but July has seen somewhat of a switch. We've had more sunnier days this month, including today which is more or less wall-to-wall sunshine.

It seems very "summer 2010". Some areas get a great one, some get a dire one.

I would agree, and fortunately i seem to be in the part of the country thats had a respectable summer so far. This July is a long way from the Julys of 2007, 2008, 2009 and 2012 where every day seemed to come with the chance of showers or longer spells of rain breaking out.

Posted

Although warmer than previous years July has been somewhat of a disappointment in my area due to loads of cloudy days. Also we have been missed by most of the thunderstorms.

Edited by Jon Somerset

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes the unusual and interesting facts

It has not been a poor july here but it certainly has not been great,the last couple of days have just cheered things up but once again it was cool first thing,hopefully things will improve.What happened to settled spells of a week or two together in summer months,they seem to have disappeared and replaced by no two days alike!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold winters with snow and hot sunny summers

Can't complain about the summer down here, it was hot and sunny again. +34°C the max of today.

Edited by El Niño

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: The Actual Weather ..... not fantasy.

It seems very "summer 2010". Some areas get a great one, some get a dire one.

absolutely... not alot of rain here so far, a lot of fresh cool weather, a lot of sun too, been a good first half of my grasscutting season, its not been overly wet or long (the grass).

Posted

So is the pressure going to build as we go into august or not?? as always plenty of claims from different sources.. Little evidence apart from exgeration to what constitutes  settled weather and the mention of pressure building.

So is the pressure going to build as we go into august or not?? as always plenty of claims from different sources.. Little evidence apart from exgeration to what constitutes  settled weather and the mention of pressure building.

Unlikely. Due to El Nino 2015 we will see milder and wetter than average weather, this summer has not been a summer at all for Northern Regions but it may well be a winter to remember.

Posted

Another claim of extended  conditions into the future. we may  get a cold winter.. But they do happen now and then. and then the long range forecasters  will say  yes we got that correct We may get a mild wet winter.with plenty of gales. No one knows..

July asnt actually been that bad.Just below temps.. that means on a evening the tempertures drop and are even lower..Its been quite decent of late here and next week  they are predicting low 20s.. which is typical for my area.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer

Unlikely. Due to El Nino 2015 we will see milder and wetter than average weather, this summer has not been a summer at all for Northern Regions but it may well be a winter to remember.

El nino never performs the same weather twice so its worth bearing in mind El Nino gave us the severe winter 2009/10. Unlikely that it will repeat.

Posted

El nino never performs the same weather twice so its worth bearing in mind El Nino gave us the severe winter 2009/10. Unlikely that it will repeat.

Not necessarily.

Apparently a strong El Niño also puts pressure on the stratosphere encouraging a SSW so interesting..

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines

Not a very encouraging outlook from the models this evening if, like me, you're looking for sun and warmth. GFS showing another brief but possibly potent mini-plume around 29th July but other than that it's low pressure and often depressingly cloudy, cool and windy. Very different to last July which had 3 weeks of hot and sunny weather here from memory. At least there has been more thundery activity so far this July which has been a positive development. Keeping everything crossed for a hot Aug!

Edited by stainesbloke

Posted

rapidly turning into an awful summer here, especially if you include May which was horrific

June was pretty bad and now July is rapidly turning awful too. 

never known so much prolonged windy weather In July

• Like 1

Posted

Further south we get the benefit of the odd plume but the last one only stayed with us a matter of hours! Again the SE gets the best of the warm weather. SW has fared better than previous summers but still not great.

Posted

Just when I thought the weather was picking up we get a day of two halves,this morning was the first day of autumn,a shocking start ,cloudy,some spits of rain and  an unusually strong gale for july,I had my jumper and coat on and almost went for my hat at one stage,the wind did finally recede in a fashion with some spells of sunshine and it is almost pleasant at the moment.!!!

Posted

Maximum today 19 deg  a very late 7.30 pm!!

Posted

I was up near Durham today and it was almost raw to start the day with a strong and gusty wind. Even when the sun did come out it did very little to help the temperature. However back home i find out we have hit a reasonable 21c and even now, at gone 8pm it feels warmer than id did at any time up there. What a difference being at sea level and 100 miles further south makes.

Edited by Milhouse

Posted

I was up near Durham today and it was almost raw to start the day with a strong and gusty wind. Even when the sun did come out it did very little to help the temperature. However back home i find out we have hit a reasonable 21c and even now, at gone 8pm it feels warmer than id did at any time up there. What a difference being at sea level and 100 miles further south makes.

Haha, never a truer word!

It's been gale force here for 2 day's now, this afternoon mostly cloudy and 16 degrees!! If it was a one off fair enough but most of the summer has been poor and I am just above sea level. BBC app for next 9 day's forecasts 16-18 degrees bar 1 day of 19. For Stanley, 200 mts asl 14-16 degrees for next 9 day's yet I keep reading how the summer has had lots of 'useable' weather! Useable for what?

Dress it up how you want but it's been a cold late spring and summer so far and no sign of change.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer

An awful poor looking run on GFS charts, first week of August hinting at clinging on firmly onto a week long of NW'ly. daytime temps no higher than 18C before jet stream sinks and sits right across us for days on end, dragging in a non stop LP fronts.

I think summer should call it day now.  Roll on 2016.

Posted

Looks like we need a warm and settled August to balance things out this summer. Its a shame we have to rely on August to rescue the summer as its my least favourite summer month. But ill take warmth whenever so i really do hope it happens.

• Like 1