Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussion - 3rd May Onwards 00z--->

Posted

The GEFS 6z mean is perfect, high pressure building in and becoming warm / very warm. The MO outlook is superb with high temperatures and lots of sunshine and a growing chance of thundery weather at times in the south where it becomes very warm / hot and humid. Once the pattern change arrives, it looks set to become entrenched and is unlikely to be displaced until sometime in July, who knows, it may last longer. I hope it does :)

Frosty, I was wondering, come June 15th ish  isnt that gonna be one dirty polluted High ??

Edited by Biggin

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish Plumes, Blizzards, Severe Frosts :-)

Frosty, I was wondering, come June 15th ish  isnt that gonna be one dirty polluted High ??

Yes, if there are no brief incursions of fresher atlantic air, it will be hot, humid and hazy across the south of the UK. What a great outlook though. May has been disappointingly cool and unsettled, especially in the north / northwest of the UK but we are now on the cusp of a prolonged spell of increasingly summery weather. :)

• Like 2

Posted

I don't see how you can say that when any change is still yet to happen, indeed if it all goes **** up from here history will show them to have done an abysmal job, so best not get too far ahead of ourselves even now. Up until yesterday UKMO were not fully onboard at 144hrs re the pressure rise and 24hrs before that they were positively against it, hence my increased optimism this morning.

The highlighted area is precisely the point, and obviously failing, I was trying to make.

Digressing. I Have seen a few comments vis the ECM undercooking surface temps. Is this still the case since the upgrade?

Edited by knocker
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.

A few off topic posts have been moved, If yours is missing it's here https://forum.netweather.tv/topic/82655-model-banter-moans-and-ramps-springsummer-2015/page-16

Edited by Polar Maritime

Posted

With high pressure becoming established to give northern and especially northern western parts a well overdue spell of summer-like weather with deep blues skies and a lot of wall to wall sunshine close to the High pressure, a cut-off low aspect to the S & SW looks set to play its own role in the other high temperature summer weather variant, taking on a typically tropical aspect for southern and south western UK - as thundery activity ebbs and flows, as it moves up from Biscay and continental Europe periodically

Music to my ears :yahoo:

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

The low between Iceland and northern Scotland is worth keeping an eye on later next week, UKMO has it closer by on this run and could introduce some rain for the far north

UW144-21.GIF?30-18

GFS has it further north though some thundery showers could be breaking out for western parts of England and Wales

gfs-0-144.png?12gfs-2-144.png?12144-580UK.GIF?30-12

Temperatures again back to 30c for next Saturday on this run in the south, could be rather hot at the Epsom Derby if this comes off

168-580UK.GIF?30-12

• Like 2

Posted

That run from the GFS is garbage for everyone outside the south and east when you consider what has gone before. The GFS really is all over the place at the moment from run to run. At least Friday looks considerably warmer than on previous runs, but it seems to want to push a front through much quicker this time and that low over the Bay of Biscay has all but disappeared.

Edited by Scorcher
  • Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes

Nice to see the ecm and gfs mean charts being identical and both agreeing a big high pressure over us:

http://mp1.met.psu.edu/~fxg1/ECMWF_0z/hgtcomp.html

Which means broadly speaking settled conditions and very warm early summer weather particularly for the South east.

Kudos for cfs v2 for picking up on what could be a potentially hot June coming up.

For my money there's just too much pressure knocking around at the high latitudes for June as a whole to be anything of note in terms of sustained heat. I said this last week and still stand by my assertions now. The latter stages of FI of the 12z GFS highlights this with increasingly cool and unsettled weather courtesy of retrogressing HP and associated Scandi troughing.

Still, it does look like we'll see some pleasantly warm and settled weather for a time and perhaps even a storm or two :)

• Like 2

Posted

Well this is rather interesting. The models have been hinting at a warmer spell for a while, and it has not disappeared as T0 approaches. Only a fool predicts a UK heatwave more than 6 days in advance - too many ways to go wrong at any time - but the ingredients are now in the pot for a prolonged hot spell, particularly in the south - the ingredients just need mixing in the right way. 30C by the end of the week looking likely - that will be a shock after a below average May - but chances for many days above 80F if that second high builds over the top of the cut-off low, as some models show.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish plumes, hot and sunny with thunderstorms

16c 850 hpa temps into the south by next Friday. Sure is looking very warm, becoming hot for a time.

ECM0-144.GIF?30-0

• Like 4

Posted

Hot and sultry with storms breaking out best describes next weekend on the ECM. Some very impressive temperatures would result from this. 30c quite widely i would say.

ECM1-168.GIF?30-0

ECM0-192.GIF?30-0

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and frost in the winter. Hot and sunny, thunderstorms in the summer.

Fair to say I wasn't expecting the ECM to crack this run out. Considering the trends from the. Other models the last thing you expect is for the warmest model this morning to churn out something even hotter!!! The ECM remains consistent in the general longwave pattern. But is it consistently wrong?

Edited by Captain shortwave
  • Like 4

Posted

There is considerable support for high pressure to dominate going by the GEFS mean.

Rz500m9.gif

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and Cold! Winter :)

Im still not seeing this supposed long hot spell some are talking about....GFS and ECM are basicaly 48 hour blink and youll miss it and then back down to average. Here you go:

post-19114-0-08992500-1433012494_thumb.j

Note that once again, the op run is almost outlier next weekend. 850 graph is also the same. Temps then back down to 15-20 up to mid June..

Edited by Winter Cold
  • Like 2

Posted

Fair to say I wasn't expecting the ECM to crack this run out. Considering the trends from the. Other models the last thing you expect is for the warmest model this morning to churn out something even hotter!!! The ECM remains consistent in the general longwave pattern. But is it consistently wrong?

It seems to be down to the fact that it's pushing the LP to the SW up into Biscay and the HP just s bit further east thus maintaining a slack SE flow. Which the GFS ops is also doing with highs in the high 80s on Saturday. A delicate analysis one might say.

I love the ECM 850mb temp anomaly. A work of art.

http://www.tropicaltidbits.com/

post-12275-0-52445200-1433012601_thumb.p

post-12275-0-29778600-1433012917_thumb.p

Edited by knocker
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonal weather but love snow

Would the outcome of this heat just create speradic thunderstorms or are they likely to to follow some sort of structure / pattern

I can not believe what the weather could be possibly like next Saturday for the festival I'm involved

Extremely excited

Posted

Would the outcome of this heat just create speradic thunderstorms or are they likely to to follow some sort of structure / pattern

I can not believe what the weather could be possibly like next Saturday for the festival I'm involved

Extremely excited

Dramatic changes do happen as we move into Summer and the continent heats up, looks like we have conditions for  the "perfect storm".

Posted

Evening all :)

Some people starting to get a bit excited about the upcoming weather:

http://www.cpc.ncep.noaa.gov/products/precip/CWlink/pna/nao.sprd2.gif

The NAO continuing to trend negative to neutral as the forecasts have been suggesting for several days. That would suggest higher pressure to the north and east and lower pressure to the south and west and a degree of northern blocking in evidence though not as much as at the beginning of the month  

http://modeles.meteociel.fr/modeles/gfs/runs/2015053012/gfs-0-276.png?12

This is a good example of that development as the HP withdraws west to the area normally associated with LP creating the pressure anomaly but the negative NAO often means HP to the north of the British Isles.

http://www.cpc.ncep.noaa.gov/products/precip/CWlink/daily_ao_index/ao.sprd2.gif

The AO also trending negative in the short term before recovering (according to some members):

http://modeles.meteociel.fr/modeles/gfs/runs/2015053012/gfsnh-0-240.png?12

The AO suggests nothing too much happening over the Pole so not a huge amount to read into that at this stage. The evolution to something more settled is illustrated by the weakening NAO but strangely I don't think that translates to a long period of heat and indeed as the HP retreats the door is open to colder air coming back from the north for the middle of the month.

• Like 6

Posted

The ECM mean does look good. Lots of very warm/humid/thundery conditions on offer with these sort of charts.

Reem1441.gif

Reem2161.gif

Reem2162.gif

• Like 7

Posted
  • Location: Formerly Walworth, SE17 ; Swansea SA1 since Dec 2008
  • Location: Formerly Walworth, SE17 ; Swansea SA1 since Dec 2008

stodge : lets see shall we?

Not all models support the suggested downgrade (beyond next weekend) that shows in those links you posted.

• Like 2

Posted

No comments on the GFS 6z Op? No wonder. Terrible for the warm/dry spell being projected by some models. Lets hope its just the usual GFS inter run chaos.

Will we actually get a firm indication for next weekend in the 0z's?

It has a cold front pushing through over the weekend, the UK back into cooler Atlantic air by Sunday after about a day and a half of warmer air.

http://max.nwstatic.co.uk/gfsimages/gfs.20150530/18/174/h850t850eu.png

Edited by mountain shadow