Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Storm & Convective Discussion - SPANISH PLUME - 30/06/15 onwards

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes

Manchester to Glasgow is only £30 one way, gets you there in less than 3 hours.

I'd be tempted but £30 is too much for me. That's literally a week's food. Sold my car years ago too so I pretty much have to sit and wait for something to happen! Plus that's only one way, can't see many people wanting a one way ticket to Glasgow :rofl:

Edited by CreweCold

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe storms and heavy snow

Still some bits and bobs of stuff hanging around, sporadic heavy precip on the radar, keeping me awake of course. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms

Still some bits and bobs of stuff hanging around, sporadic heavy precip on the radar, keeping me awake of course.

Get your sleep...I'm keeping fingers crossed for some morning stuff Thursday and more especially early hours of Saturday :D we'll need our energy!

Posted

I saw one huge bolt of lightning which was that single one near gatwick airport. It was a proper forked lightning

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe storms and heavy snow

I saw one huge bolt of lightning which was that single one near gatwick airport. It was a proper forked lightning

Just now or earlier on?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms

I have no idea why everyone in Manchester and Cheshire is  getting so depressed over tomorrow evening. Looks pretty good to me. Might as well wait and see what happens.

• Like 2

Posted

It seems strange to be saying that i am too far south for a good storm... 

Northern England / Southern Scotland looking like a real hotspot, all could shift south yet though

Edited by ChezWeather
  • Like 1

Posted

Just now or earlier on?

Earlier on about 1 hour ago Edited by DiagonalRedLine
Added in the person Tom was responding to

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot sunshine and thunderstorms. Mild in winter.

I have no idea why everyone in Manchester and Cheshire is  getting so depressed over tomorrow evening. Looks pretty good to me. Might as well wait and see what happens.

I'm not. I will be watching the radar and waiting to see what happens tomorrow, rather than getting all depressed now. :)

• Like 1

Posted

Experience.

Posted

If I was chasing tomorrow I would park myself in Northern Cumbria, and I know of a few who have been on the Netweather Chases in the US Who are going to give this a shot tomorrow.

We like Silver Lining use the S L I M Technique

Reverse that word for the most important factors being

M = Moisture which is in abundance at 20c or 68f

I = Instability again plenty of instability with 81/68f and decent LCL Heights

L = Lift again loads of lift from the approaching trough and Plume

S = Shear, again with 40knts of deep layer shear this region is perfectly placed

Then look at a few models which break out storms maturing in this area tomorrow between 3-6pm and BINGO!

If I was chasing I would be in Northern Cumbria and Scotland! And yes the Estofex Warning is warranted with whats on the table!

Brilliant summary :D

Can't even express how excited I am for tomorrow's potential :laugh: Really hoping I'm not too far west for thunderstorms though - Clackmananshire is just on the northwestern boundary of the Estofex Level 2 area. Wish I could do some storm chasing; can't start driving lessons until September sadly!

Edited by sn0wman

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

Why are you fellow Midlanders kicking off? The Beeb forecast a few shakers drifting north overnight for CS England. Not as extensive as they are but the 6.30 news said they would be about.

The 'plume' and forecast line of PPN isn't due until morning when winds turn more directly southerly and pump showers up through Wales/Cumbria/Scotland...we still have just as much chance of a storm from this line as we did 5-6 hours ago. Nothing's changed.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything apart from grey days

Looks like an MCS in the Bay of Biscay now.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Plumes and streamers

Anyone explain why in such a ripe environment the channel storms this evening died off?

Just for reference as I thought I understood the Synoptics for tonight but obviously I'm missig some key detail.

Ta

Also, any bay of Biscay cameras anyone know of?

Edited by Flash bang flash bang etc

Posted

Why are you fellow Midlanders kicking off? The Beeb forecast a few shakers drifting north overnight for CS England. Not as extensive as they are but the 6.30 news said they would be about.

The 'plume' and forecast line of PPN isn't due until morning when winds turn more directly southerly and pump showers up through Wales/Cumbria/Scotland...we still have just as much chance of a storm from this line as we did 5-6 hours ago. Nothing's changed.

I still see that we have some chance here in the Midlands, all it takes is a slight shift south

Posted

The little beast in Bay of Biscay has extreme intense rainfall and plenty of elecltrical activity. It appears to be heading for the SE IMHO somethin' to watch out for if you're a southerner. It could even grow in size with such plentiful CAPE/Li over NW France could it become a fully fledged MCS or am I :crazy:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk

Anyone explain why in such a ripe environment the channel storms this evening died off?

Just for reference as I thought I understood the Synoptics for tonight but obviously I'm missig some key detail.

Ta

Also, any bay of Biscay cameras anyone know of?

I think there was weak to moderate cap in place, that allowed a bit of development, but, not enough to keep the storms building vertically, rather, they just spread out and weaken.

I could be wrong, it's an educated guess. :)

Posted
  • Location: Home near Sellindge, 80m/250feet, 5miles from Coast
  • Weather Preferences: Severe Storms and Snow
  • Location: Home near Sellindge, 80m/250feet, 5miles from Coast

Lots of thick altocumulus coming up from the south west

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Plumes and streamers

I think there was weak to moderate cap in place, that allowed a bit of development, but, not enough to keep the storms building vertically, rather, they just spread out and weaken.

I could be wrong, it's an educated guess. :)

Ok nice explanation kinda makes sense I guess. Thanks

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Unexpected gusts of wind, and cumulus clouds in rude and amusing shapes.

Lightning visible just then, plus thunder. No idea where that came from. All looked quiet. Think it came from the south.

Edit: Looks to be just to my south west, according to where the strike was plotted on lightningmaps.org

Edit: Another flash and rumble. Something's starting up again...

Edited by Paul Roberts

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.

Lots of thick altocumulus coming up from the south west

Yep keep watching it cover the moon, looks beautiful, so even if no storms happen I'm happy, today's weather couldn't have been any better over here.

Posted

This is the rascal in Bay of Biscay I think it's a MCS I do not know about anyone else? not far from reaching land which is loaded with 'fuel' I expect to see it to swell in size could get interesting....

post-19153-0-44948700-1435706032_thumb.j

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.

This is the rascal in Bay of Biscay I think it's a MCS I do not know about anyone else? not far from reaching land which is loaded with 'fuel' I expect to see it to swell in size could get interesting....

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

Weird thing is it seems to be stuck where it is, doesn't seem to have move very far since it started.