Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Storm & Convective Discussion - SPANISH PLUME - 30/06/15 onwards

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk

Ok nice explanation kinda makes sense I guess. Thanks

I suppose i could add a bit more to it..

I've mentioned a couple of time this past few days that when an inversion appears, i suffer from terrible freeview signal. The past few days, i have had the worst pixelation on 50% of the channels, for a long time!

A layer of warm air gets trapped near the surface and the signal just bounces around underneath it, causing the problems.

When this happens, i check the troposphere ducting forecasts to see if it is a problem my end, or the possibility of an inversion..

The forecast for the past couple of days showed possible weak signal issues for those on the south coast, so you can link the two together.

The temps on the coast were far lower than inland today, so for that cap to break properly, it could have done with being a bit hotter, maybe? Hence why the storms really didn't get going.

Edited by Mapantz

Posted

Weird thing is it seems to be stuck where it is, doesn't seem to have move very far since it started.

It is moving just slowly if it were to make landfall in UK I'd say it would make landfall past sunrise.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Unexpected gusts of wind, and cumulus clouds in rude and amusing shapes.

Moderate rain and some fantastic lightning I think just off to the north and west of me. By the sound of the thunder somewhere around 4-5 miles away, maybe a bit closer by the proximity of the last one. 

This storm incidentally is being made somewhat more eerie by the sound of chinook helicopters that are flying around the area at the moment. 

If people are unaware of http://www.lightningmaps.org/realtime?lang=en I'd highly recommend it - very accurate. 

Edited by Paul Roberts

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: storms - of the severe kind

Webcam for La Rochelle - if the Biscay storms head that way, they aren't there yet

Double click = full screen

http://www.viewsurf.com/univers/ville/vue/12460-france-poitou-charentes-la-rochelle-panoramique-temps-reel

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and thunderstorms

That Biscay storm is not exactly in a hurry to move is it? It just wants to sit there awhile.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: All weather extremes

Strange, I've just been woken up by the wind?? It even blew the wheelie bins over outside. It seems to have came along with the lightest of showers, it sounded like one of those winter nights with the wind howling and trees making that continuous noise :p

Still VERY gusty, I want to shut the window as its blowing the curtain like crazy.. it's just too sticky with it shut.

Edited by <<Ryan>>

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe Thunderstorms, Heat (Summer) & Snow in Winter

I've looked a few pages back and can't see this posted anywhere I've been performing my end of term play for my drama course sorry if it has already been posted.

Estofex has its forecast out for tomorrow and its a

Wow let's hope for a good one tomorrow for a change I am in a prime spot. Camera ready and car juiced up good look everyone else!

Edited by P-M

Posted

Blitzortung strikes are coloured squares (Rastars) you can alter their size in sq kilometres, however, each rastar has a number in it, what do these pesky numbers denote????

Anyone got an answer for me on this please? It's really bugging me... Some have 1s, 2s etc, and some have big, even 3 digit numbers in sometimes.......

Cheers

Karl

Posted

Anyone got an answer for me on this please? It's really bugging me... Some have 1s, 2s etc, and some have big, even 3 digit numbers in sometimes.......

Cheers

Karl

I think it refers to the number of strikes within that area.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

Cheers

Karl

Is it not the number of lightning strikes or sferics within that box or grid square?

Posted

Pretty sure the conductor near the back of my garden was hit by a positive CG about half hour ago. Sounded like a bomb went off. I was fast asleep and then I was wide awake stood up in the middle of my room, that was a little crazy

Posted

I think it refers to the number of strikes within that area.

Hi, I thought that, but a lot of the times the numbers can and are very high, and to have say 26 strikes in a 5km square in the UK an a poor storm just doesn't seem right to me, when the square next door only has perhaps the number 1 or 2 in it.... What do you reckon?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: severe storms,snow wind and ice

West is Brest :D

new sferics SW of Brest P

oh and to add,what great photo's in here today,lets hope there are of plenty tomorrow with a few uploads of videos :D

Edited by Allseasons-si
  • Like 3

Posted

Those Sferics have fired up fast West of Brest ... and the Bay of Biscay is still on it's way haha

West is Brest :D

new sferics SW of Brest P

oh and to add,what great photo's in here today,lets hope there are of plenty tomorrow with a few uploads of videos :D

The way those cloud formations are developing.. I won't be surprised if those Sferics W-Brest will be in a similar sort of size area to the storm moving NNE Bay of Biscay

Edited by ancientsolar

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: severe storms,snow wind and ice

Those Sferics have fired up fast West of Brest ... and the Bay of Biscay is still on it's way haha

The way those cloud formations are developing.. I won't be surprised if those Sferics W-Brest will be in a similar sort of size area to the storm moving NNE Bay of Biscay

Yes,and look @ the clumps of ppn developing there too

http://www.meteox.co.uk/h.aspx?r=&r&jaar=-3&soort=satradar

sat24 shows them forming too

http://de.sat24.com/de/fr/infraPolair

i would expect a huge implosion there soon.

Edited by Allseasons-si
  • Like 1

Posted

Yes,and look @ the clumps of ppn developing there too

http://www.meteox.co.uk/h.aspx?r=&r&jaar=-3&soort=satradar

sat24 shows them forming too

http://de.sat24.com/de/fr/infraPolair

Yes, it's Sat 24 iv'e been following them from.. ~ I suppose it has the potential to become as intense.. and be 50-75miles further west then than the Brest storms that came to IOW earlier.. simply because it looks like a far bigger storm diameter 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, thunder, hail & heavy snow

Why are you fellow Midlanders kicking off? The Beeb forecast a few shakers drifting north overnight for CS England. Not as extensive as they are but the 6.30 news said they would be about.

The 'plume' and forecast line of PPN isn't due until morning when winds turn more directly southerly and pump showers up through Wales/Cumbria/Scotland...we still have just as much chance of a storm from this line as we did 5-6 hours ago. Nothing's changed.

Although forecasting storm set-ups is no easy feat, you do make some good points. I think when a forecast looks as though it's about to go wrong, such as seeing thundery weather occurring further East than expected (kinda bit like what's been happening tonight), it could almost trick you into thinking that the rest of the forecast will go wrong when that may not be the case at all.

I think once that trough to the South/South-West of the UK lifts further North today (Wednesday) it should help to provide a lot of instability to generate some possible big bangers for Western/North-Western and Northern areas. And perhaps, if we're lucky, a few odd stormy surprises for some Midlands and Eastern UK storm fans at some point (the gradual Eastwards progression of the Cold Front in these next two days, as well, could possibly help aid some thundery prospects, not to mention the other stormy possibilities during Friday Night/Saturday morning). In fact, while I'm at it, better check to see if the Midlands Storm Shield is unplugged...  which I hope it is, because, if it's not, then it'll be no wonder all the storms could avoid us tomorrow. I could just unplug it myself, but the plug is far too big and heavy to detach from the large socket, which is another reason why I hope it's already been unplugged.  :nonono:  

Edited by DiagonalRedLine

Posted

Well my first storm chase was a success :). So I headed down the M4 East to the Newbury Junction and as we were heading into newbury all you see was this almighty CG+ strike and took me and my friend by surprise and luckly caught it in the right place when it was producing lightning headed back home now as the activity has died somewhat but still a few storms around across the SE.