Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

North West England - Weather Chat - 03/07/15 onwards

Thunderbolt_

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot sunshine and thunderstorms. Mild in winter.

I am pleased to see the persistence of southerly tracking lows, probably encouraged by the low sun spot activity. 

The solar maximum is well behind us now.

Sunspot activity isn't the only thing that influences our weather. We may have long passed the solar maximum but we're still quite far from the solar minimum, which won't happen for another three years or so. At the moment, I'd say the main focus is on this strong, possibly super El Nino that is developing, and also the cold Atlantic.

Edited by Thunderbolt_

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer heat and winter cold, and a bit of snow when on offer

I am pleased to see the persistence of southerly tracking lows, probably encouraged by the low sun spot activity. 

The solar maximum is well behind us now.

If it carries on into winter we could be on to something but there is as much chance of a repeat of the storms of 2013-14 as them delivering cold and snow.

Personally though I can see another winter of cool but not overly cold Northwesterly winds as these seem reluctant to throw the towel in at the moment and have certainly been the main driver of the weather in our region and further north so far in 2015.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

Anything in winter but NW winds, they suck, constant rain coming in from cheshire gap, mildish temps as well,

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer heat and winter cold, and a bit of snow when on offer

Anything in winter but NW winds, they suck, constant rain coming in from cheshire gap, mildish temps as well,

No I don't want them myself but everything seems reluctant to change at the moment and other than a couple of well documented hot days a few weeks ago, the persistence of a cool/ cold NW wind and depressed temperatures has been the most striking feature for months.

Those in the south may have had a decent summer but not here, average at best and i'm still waiting to dust the BBQ off.

Maybe something better for August and then no doubt September and October will deliver as they usually have over the last few years.

• Like 1

No I don't want them myself but everything seems reluctant to change at the moment and other than a couple of well documented hot days a few weeks ago, the persistence of a cool/ cold NW wind and depressed temperatures has been the most striking feature for months.

Those in the south may have had a decent summer but not here, average at best and i'm still waiting to dust the BBQ off.

Maybe something better for August and then no doubt September and October will deliver as they usually have over the last few years.

agreed one BBQ here and hardly any garden days ,go on hols for 3 weeks on the 24 th of August ,so not much time for it to redeem itself !!..

Posted

agreed one BBQ here and hardly any garden days ,go on hols for 3 weeks on the 24 th of August ,so not much time for it to redeem itself !!..

Well unless your off to Spitsbergen or Iceland you should see better weather than here.

I'm counting down myself but another 10 weeks or so to go yet.

Posted

lol, hoping South west usa delivers :) monsoon over by then I hope !!!

I'm sure it will.

After all, even bad weather in the states is interesting.

Posted

Sunspot activity isn't the only thing that influences our weather. We may have long passed the solar maximum but we're still quite far from the solar minimum, which won't happen for another three years or so. At the moment, I'd say the main focus is on this strong, possibly super El Nino that is developing, and also the cold Atlantic.

Nobody said it is the only influence but it is certainly a big influence. This coming winter may well be cursed by the strong el nino but it won't be long before a cold winter comes now that the solar activity is going down. 

Well unless your off to Spitsbergen or Iceland you should see better weather than here.

I'm counting down myself but another 10 weeks or so to go yet.

Actually, Iceland gets very good weather with northern blocking as the jet travels further south/over the UK.

Posted

Nobody said it is the only influence but it is certainly a big influence. This coming winter may well be cursed by the strong el nino but it won't be long before a cold winter comes now that the solar activity is going down. 

Actually, Iceland gets very good weather with northern blocking as the jet travels further south/over the UK.

We could with it heading back up there for a few weeks so we can salvage something from this summer.

Either that or head further south and go and give North Africa some much needed rain although not much chance of that I'd have thought.

Posted

The band of light rain has moved away now but to the west of me there is a line of showers.

The sky looks interesting.

Posted

Fine for the last couple of hours but the sky looks threatening and it felt really stuffy out walking the dog.

Strangely with all the talk of gales further south there's not a breath of wind and all of the local turbines are doing a damn good impression of why wind energy is not the utopian future that politicians want us to believe.

Never mind, a couple of train loads of coal should keep the lights on until Sundays return of wind and rain.

Posted

Dry and sunny start to the day.

Better make the most of it before Sundays wind and rain arrives.

Posted

I can just about see the Cheshire Gap effect from here...

post-21671-0-06947300-1437814164_thumb.j

Meanwhile it's a mostly sunny morning on this side of Manchester, though annoyingly cold once again...

Posted

Plenty of cloud out to my west when I was up on the tops with the dog earlier but a lovely day here.

Still a bit on the cool side though and feels more like a late spring day than a mid summer one.

post-9027-0-09685500-1437819677_thumb.jp

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

I can just about see the Cheshire Gap effect from here...

attachicon.gif20150725_094600.jpg

Meanwhile it's a mostly sunny morning on this side of Manchester, though annoyingly cold once again...

Was like that to my west, but closer to me, just missed it here, north westerlies generally stink, but avoided the rain, but maybe not so lucky next week

Posted

Sunshine replaced by pretty well wall to wall cloud now.

Hopefully no more than nuisance value as there's plenty of work in the garden with my name on it.

Posted

The current satellite picture is an absolute beauty with yesterday's low winding itself up over the low countries and tomorrow's low approaching Ireland.

http://www.sat24.com/en/gb

Maybe for November but not July.

• Like 1

Posted

The current satellite picture is an absolute beauty with yesterday's low winding itself up over the low countries and tomorrow's low approaching Ireland.

http://www.sat24.com/en/gb

Would you be happy to say that in January, if was all holding off a big cold pool over Scandinavia?