Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland Weather Discussion - 20th November 2015 and Onwards...

Methuselah

Posted

Morning all,

Wow, Ravelin, very impressive! If I got a snowfall like that here I'd be starting my own thread to celebrate! No snow here but I did record my first air frost of the season with a low of -0.2c yesterday evening. It's quite normal for the second half of November to bring my first air frost. Anyone else still waiting to record one?

It was notably cold here yesterday. My maximum was only 1.8c, unusually colder than the 3.1c at Leuchars. However I see Inverbervie reached a high of just 0.9c so it appears to have been cold right on the east coast.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: well it depends.. just not haar!

We had about an inch Friday night that froze solid until last night when we had some rain. :(

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Strictly seasonal

We had dandruff snow here overnight on Friday/Saturday which melted by late morning,leaving a dusting on nearby hills but not as low as the Black Isle or the Sutors. I think it rained a little last night but, looking out of the window at the nearby countryside, there are no signs of any winteryness. Of course, I am located at sea level on the shores of the Cromarty firth and do not expect to see much proper snow in the current set-up and so early in the season!

Posted

Of course, I am located at sea level on the shores of the Cromarty firth and do not expect to see much proper snow in the current set-up and so early in the season!

Another coastal dweller, good to have you on board! I was just thinking it would be good to have a table counting 'days with lying snow' from contributors to this thread....would make for interesting reading by the end of winter. In saying that we could hand out first prize to Northern Strath right now.

Edited by Hawesy

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?

Another coastal dweller, good to have you on board! I was just thinking it would be good to have a table counting 'days with lying snow' from contributors to this thread....would make for interesting reading by the end of winter. In saying that we could hand out first prize to Northern Strath right now.

Yeah there'll be a few of us going for the booby prize.  In the last 36 hours, my minimum was 1.0C, the whitest ppn I saw was heavy sleety mongoose, hence obviously no lying snow.  We have averaged about 2 days lying snow per winter in the last 3 winters (more than that for the previous 2).  I am really pretty much a beach-dweller so none of this is surprising.  Our last place was only a few hundred metres inland and had far more lying snow. Depressing.  I really ought to hibernate to avoid the pain, but hibernation here would be impossible due to the constant warmth.  However if we can persuade the young HCs to hurry up and move out, perhaps me and Ms HC could shift to somewhere small in the woods up the hill somewhere... :air_kiss:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Crystal Clear High Pressure & Blue Skies

Well done Jackal - spied that pic first thing this morning.. nice one..

Cracking sunset here this evening, plenty of high cirrus and a few contrails in the mix too.

post-7292-0-68769200-1448211170_thumb.jp

Temps falling away quickly.

post-7292-0-93489800-1448211185_thumb.pn

No weather station = bin lid check ( is it frozen shut yet).

Bin lids and lamp posts - the things only weather geeks know have any significance..

• Like 3

Posted

Very rare dawn to dusk sunny day. Probably had the best day of the week. Obviously getting cold but how long for?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summers Snowy Winters Stormy Autumns

Got as high as 7.6 today with a rapid rise over about 3 hours from freezing before again a rapid descent and now back to -1...dandruff snow melted very quickly so no lying day here and I never even seen the snow so grudgingly taking it as a day with falling snow

Edited by edo

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy or warm and dry

A busy of day so not really had time to enjoy the snow, not like local the children. Must have been perfect snowman snow by the number and size of those in our estate.

Did get out with the dog for a bit, along the slushiest, muddiest track I could have chosen. Still, there was snow around, and I managed to avoid the melting bits falling off the trees and down my neck. Took this picture from the end of our road on the way back, Bennachie has been looking particularly impressive all day in the sun.

post-18458-0-61323300-1448219743_thumb.j

There's been a slow thaw so the snow is looking a bit ragged. I'd say we've lost at least half. But to have a day with snow lying through in November isn't bad, especially since it was fairly sunny. Current temp is 0.5C and if the forecast is correct the snow should last through to tomorrow morning but I suspect it's doomed after that.

• Like 9

Posted

Really enjoyed a dry weekend. Doesn't look like it will continue for my cycle to work in the coming week.Oh Well.

Went for a walk down Linn Park which is on our doorstep. A few minutes walk and we are away from suburbia and I forget how lucky we are to have this on our doorstep.

Shameless plug... Almost bought a B&B in Elgin but it fell through for various reasons. Remember HC giving recommendations of other locations. I thank you. Went off on a tangent and now I've set up a business with wife selling handnade cleaning products. Early days but going well.

http://humblestuff.co.uk/

Back on topic. It is cold there.

post-11598-0-39259400-1448223315_thumb.j

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?

Back on the north coast tonight.  Looks like there's been some rain recently, the ground's like a swamp round the cottage.  I came up over the Glen Loth road but there wasn't much entertainment in terms of snow or ice (goes up to about 250m and isn't treated), just lots of deer and sheep on the roads.  However it was a 100 mile drive with the car showing no more than 1.5C all the way till I hit the A836 - would I have made it without winter tyres? Probably, but it might have been a bit hairy...

Looks like we're due a front through in the morning which should wash away any remaining white stuff.  Next please...  Can we have something a bit more like Xmas '95 this year?

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, wild! wild! wild! Frost, a wee bit o' sun....

Morning all! Cauld and dreich here this morning, rain just started. Not looking great for the rest of the week either. Ach well, could be worse, but at least it now feels like winter!

Posted
  • Location: Grangemouth, Central Scotland 5m ASL Weekday mornings and afternoons: Edinburgh
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: cold, snow, fog Summer: warm, sunny
  • Location: Grangemouth, Central Scotland 5m ASL Weekday mornings and afternoons: Edinburgh

Fell to -1.7C by 11pm last night then rose. It was 4.8C cloudy and dry when I left the house at 8.15 this morning.

Yesterday was dry and sunny with a Max of 5.5C

Grey, breezy and cold here this morning. There's a band of rain coming for most of the country today, although it does look a bit patchy in places. Showers to follow tomorrow:

15112312_2300.gif

15112318_2300.gif

15112406_2300.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy or warm and dry

The snow in Kemnay survived through the night. Still there even now (checked on my Cam) despite light rain falling, but I doubt it'll be there when I get home from work. Currently a very dreich 4.3C in Dyce (1.7C in Aboyne so Kemnay likely to be somewhere in between at the moment).

Looking like next weekend will see a blast of cool air from the NW, but unlikely to be cold enough for snow except on the hills.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summers Snowy Winters Stormy Autumns

<blub blub> can someone turn the tap off before we drown????  <blub blub>

alas the mongooses love rain....just snaw they dinnae like

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold and snowy in winter, a good mix of weather the rest of the time

That's my winter forecast up:

https://forum.netweather.tv/blog/237/entry-4906-winter-forecast-201516/

Hope you enjoy reading, if we get a massive cold spell by mid December and ithe forecast's bust then so much the better!

• Like 6

Posted

Nothing sobers up a coldie that's been drunk on a weekend of snow and ice more than a Monday morning dreichfest of wind, rain and 4 degrees. All the joys of being slapped in the face with a wet sock. Snow still intact when I left the house but will no doubt get blitzed through today

Will keep an eye on the days with snow cover Hawesy, but wouldn't expect to be too much ahead of Paul in Aviemore. We're around a 100m higher here, with more precipitation and we'll fair better on more marginal affairs but Aviemore, that wee bit further inland, can perhaps prolong the cold better if it's become consolidated. Having lived in this area and Aviemore I don't notice too drastic a difference and either way, both are looking at an average of 65 days or more, along with the lovely wee villiage of Carrbridge in between us. Those yeti's living a bitty up from here on the Slochd getting more........ right sorry, gratuitous Imby post over :)

Edited by Northern Strath
  • Like 1

There's still some snow around fairly close to home, this is a ten minute drive away but 300+ metres up. Just a slushy icy mess now though :(post-2844-0-36042500-1448287040_thumb.jp

Edited by CatchMyDrift

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Loving the vaiety

what is this snawwww folk talk of?  :)

It continues to be breezy, wet, really wet, damn wet out here in the Hebrides with everywhere you stand resembling a bog. 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snaw

We're around a 100m higher here, with more precipitation and we'll fair better on more marginal affairs but Aviemore, that wee bit further inland, can perhaps prolong the cold better if it's become consolidated. Having lived in this area and Aviemore I don't notice too drastic a difference and either way, both are looking at an average of 65 days or more, along with the lovely wee villiage of Carrbridge in between us. Those yeti's living a bitty up from here on the Slochd getting more........ right sorry, gratuitous Imby post over :)

IMBY fine. I'm from Carrbridge. 

Folks still own the house I grew up in there on station road - they built it themselves as their first house (my dad was a civil engineer working on the A9). Borders may be home for now, but the heart will always be in the Dulnain valley.

I'll be back for good one day.

Edited by scottish skier
  • Like 1

Posted

Nice one SS, a cracking place to call home

I often go there to stock up on fire wood, have thought about living there myself in the past. Home of the World Porridge Making Championship so could try and find some secrets...Not on Facebook anymore but the 'Highland Weather' page is very good and is run by a guy from Carrbridge, so plenty snowy scenes of the villiage to enjoy

• Like 1