Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Spring moans, ramps, chat and banter

Paul

Posted
4 hours ago, spindrift1980 said:

I wouldn't go as far as brilliant but last year was a pretty decent year for snow even at pretty low levels in western Scotland and Northern Ireland.

Not so sure about that over here. I live at 400 feet and had no snow last Winter 

The NW of Ulster may have had a wee bit though.

Posted
6 hours ago, feb1991blizzard said:

In other words, Brilliant news for you - Garbage news for me!

You are talking crap as usual. It makes no odds to me I'm just reporting what the run said, Your comment epitimises the major problem with this area which is everyone is too intense.

Edited by knocker
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.
Just now, knocker said:

You are talking crap as usual. It makes no odds to me I'm just reporting what the run said, Your comment epitimises the major problem with this area which is everyone is to intense.

DIsagree - you always go on about daffodils so you prefer mild???

• Like 4

Posted
4 minutes ago, mountain shadow said:

That's a bit of worry,  I had hoped the EC32 would have started to pick up some kind of colder signal towards mid January. 

Delayed SSW then?  Colder February /March? 

It doesn't appear so but remember I don't have access to the full suite.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk
33 minutes ago, I Cumbria Marra I said:

You did better than me and i'm about 250 miles north of you, whats your altitude above sea level? im very surprised you did that well

I'm 10m asl.

5 minutes ago, Froze were the Days said:

Yeah quite surprsing the slight regional variations - some parts of Dorset/south coast areas do get colder and have colder night time temps (sandy soils) - surprised you got that snow, I'll have to look up that date, but I can asure you were lucky if that was the case!

I believe it was aj's post that got me to re-evaluate the situation that gave us the snow.

After looking at the radar, the PPN in the North East looked further inland than the charts were showing..

https://forum.netweather.tv/topic/82389-south-west-central-southern-england-weather-chat/?do=findComment&comment=3161208

Remarkable really, it is normally an Easterly and a channel low that gives snow here. That was the very rare occasion that it came from a different setup.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: 30 Degrees of pure British Celsius

Delayed SSW? - we heard this last winter (a few times), why were our NW boys who did the LRF for this winter so confident this would happen around January mid-month?...first signs that their forecast might be taking flight. Hope not though. Always admire the effort put in.

Posted
6 minutes ago, feb1991blizzard said:

DIsagree - you always go on about daffodils so you prefer mild???

It's a fact of life that old bones (me) prefer the milder option for cost, comfort and safety but that doesn't mean we cannot empathise with your passion and fondness for cold weather. We should all feel comfortable here to pursue our hobby without any tags being applied. :)

• Like 6

Posted
2 minutes ago, Nouska said:

It's a fact of life that old bones (me) prefer the milder option for cost, comfort and safety but that doesn't mean we cannot empathise with your passion and fondness for cold weather. We should all feel comfortable here to pursue our hobby without any tags being applied. :)

Thing is though mild can very often mean broken power supplies and flooding in winter, mind you I would rather have some kind of severe weather than just boring nothingness but heavy disruptive snowfall from a long fetch Easterly is by a long distance my favourite synoptical setup, I'm just fascinated by it.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and lots of it or warm and sunny, no mediocre dross

Wouldn't it be amazing if you could step outside and do this....  http://www.thisiscolossal.com/2015/12/pouring-a-thermos-of-hot-tea-at-40c-at-sunset/

• Like 3

Posted
2 hours ago, chrisbell-nottheweatherman said:

What you also have to bear in mind is that much of southern Britain has had two wet, windy and mild winters consecutively, and now we're well into a third where the only differences are that most of the disruptive monsoon rainfall has been in the north-west and the east coast hasn't (yet) had a storm surge as it had two winters ago.  Here, we had no snow at all in 2013-14 (a few wet flakes fell for around 30 minutes on one day but melted on touching the ground), and few frosts, and, last winter, we saw almost no frosts and had around 1 cm of snow lying for around 2 hours before it melted.  Now, we're having the dullest, cloudiest and gloomiest early winter for years, and it's been so warm yesterday that I was sweating in just a long-sleeved top!   To me, denying that this is anything other than the same old varying weather the UK expects in winter is ignoring a large mammal in the room.

This is rubbish. What we're getting now is nothing more than a variation of what has always been possible in the UK climate and we've had similar in the past. Ok the last major cold spell in southern Britain (and northern Britain for that matter) was in 2013, but in the grand scheme of things that wasn't long ago at all . We've had just as long and even longer periods between freezes in the past. Just look at the Winters of the mid 70s or the late 80s and the late 90s to mid 00s. Or indeed most of the early 20th century up until the 40s and you will find there were many periods that had mild dominated Winters. I don't know if we'll get a cold spell affecting southern lowland Britain this Winter (though my hopes rest with late January and February based on what more knowledgeable posters are perhaps thinking) but it will happen at some point undoubtedly.

• Like 2

Posted
1 hour ago, mountain shadow said:

Not so sure about that over here. I live at 400 feet and had no snow last Winter 

The NW of Ulster may have had a wee bit though.

Fair enough - I was basing it on what I'd seen last winter from (I think) Omagh and various other places (NI geography not being my strong point). I guess much of NI is too far south to really benefit from cool-cold zonality and rPM air to the same extent as western Scotland can.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Interesting weather
1 hour ago, jethro said:

Wouldn't it be amazing if you could step outside and do this....  http://www.thisiscolossal.com/2015/12/pouring-a-thermos-of-hot-tea-at-40c-at-sunset/

I love it! 

There is a piece written by Garrison Keillor about growing up in Minnesota and the cold, he says it's a place where in Winter, if you spit on the ground, it sounds like you've dropped your car keys. One year I'd like to go on holiday somewhere cold just to experience some extremes like that.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, sleet, Snow

What a crappy winter so far. Hard to feel festive too when you enter a shop which is playing Christmas songs and then you exit it in short sleeved T-shirt and signs of spring all around you.:reindeer-emoji: Who ever called a mild stormy winter, then hats off to you.:hi:The cold keeps getting pushed back and back, soon it will be showing up in November 2016:drunk-emoji: I think winter is over:oops::angry: Surely this will be the nail in the coffin of all those internet weather companies who have been promising snow for the past three years? :reindeer-emoji: Hope so!:diablo:We should have had 20 inches over the past three years according to them, but in that time, I've had one millimeter:aggressive: The good news is that cold and mild winters come in clusters, four mild winters in a row are very unlikely, so next winter, (if anyone cares by then) should be:cold::cold::cold::cold-emoji:

• Like 2

Posted

The EC32 update doesn't sound at all promising for snow fans and Ian F has suggested the Glosea model is showings HP to the S/SW into Jan - the string Nino is having the effect most thought it would with an intense PV glued to the pole and very +nao

realistically it seems the only real chance of sustained cold in the next 4 weeks is a strong SSW but there doesn't appear to be much sign of that either 

At least my heating bills are less !

And not just the uk that's unseasonably warm - see that NYC is forecast to be 21c on New Year's Day !

Edited by JoeShmoe

Posted
5 hours ago, Thunderbolt_ said:

I never understand why people go on about the problems caused by severe weather in what seems like an attempt to drop a guilt bomb on people who like such weather. Yes, Atlantic storms have their associated problems like flooding and wind damage... but so does every other type of severe weather. Eg:

Wind and rain: flooding and wind damage.

Cold and snow: hypothermia and agricultural damage.

Thunderstorms: flash flooding and fire by lightning.

Heat waves: heat stroke and drought.

Taking all of those problems for example, should that mean that we should all only like bland, average weather? Of course not, but that's what your argument suggests.

Your preaching to the converted   - I agree with you, its just that it always gets trotted out in response to cold spells and so was pointing out the reverse, boring weather I cant stand, I would rather hurricane force winds if I cant have snow!

Posted

In a warming world perhaps Iran will become an attractive option for the skiing fraternity.

With pistes higher than most European resorts, and lift passes much cheaper, Iran is a bit of a downhill paradise. Its north-facing slopes and high altitudes ensure crisp powder between December and May. After the country’s nuclear deal with the West, not to mention the first heavy snowfall in mid-November, Iranian ministers hope to attract fat-walleted tourists to the white peaks outside the smoggy capital.

The resort of Dizin, the pick of the bunch, boasts lifts that soar to almost 3,600 metres (12,000 feet). A day-pass costs a mere $20. The slopes are agreeably deserted, except on Persian weekends (Thursday and Friday). Where better for adventurous snowboarders to get snow in their beards? 

• Like 1

Posted
5 hours ago, JoeShmoe said:

The EC32 update doesn't sound at all promising for snow fans and Ian F has suggested the Glosea model is showings HP to the S/SW 

Potentially replacing a Euro high with an Azores one then? At least that may allow for more Pm air in the North as troughs push through. 

February looks like the month which has to deliver now.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Atlantic storms, severe gales, blowing snow and frost :)
9 minutes ago, knocker said:

Not that it will verify but the ecm at 18z Weds 30th has temp anomaly of +18F!!. Max in the 17C range.

Yeah just seen that, very mild! Also at the same time frame it's showing wind gusts of 65-70kts inland for Wales N England and parts of Scotland, as you say unlikely to verify at this range. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!
8 hours ago, Froze were the Days said:

Delayed SSW? - we heard this last winter (a few times), why were our NW boys who did the LRF for this winter so confident this would happen around January mid-month?...first signs that their forecast might be taking flight. Hope not though. Always admire the effort put in.

Still waiting for the 'delayed SSW' of Dec 2013, and still waiting for last years

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.

Starting the day at 12C... I'm wondering if this thread should be locked until winter starts...

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!
1 minute ago, MP-R said:

Starting the day at 12C... I'm wondering if this thread should be locked until winter starts...

Will never be started then! for southern members anyway

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and 15-25c
8 hours ago, jethro said:

Been there done that when I lived in Edmonton..Didn't quite look like that when I did it though.

• Like 1