Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South West & Central Southern England - Weather Chat, 6th December and Onwards...

Methuselah

Posted
  • Location: SW of Sherborne. About a mile from the Somerset border.
  • Location: SW of Sherborne. About a mile from the Somerset border.

Overnight minimum of -5.2°C was the coldest since December 2010, currently -4.9°C, looks lovely, but glad my days of playground duty are well and truly over!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot in Summer Cold in Winter

Good Morning all, What a glorious morning if a little cool.

• Like 1

Posted

-5.8 here in Reading, after a minimum of -6.0, our coldest night since February 2012.  Looks like the official minimum at Benson has turned out to be about -8 again. At least if we post a Mars Bar to Frosty Hollows we can be pretty sure it won't melt :)

Edited by Stargazer
  • Like 1

Posted

Looks like many had a cold night.
Currently 1.8c here and down to -2c around 3am
Quick wipe away frost, light ENE wind, 1020 hPa

Noticed birds finally appeared yesterday on our bird tables.
Thought they had all left us this year. Normally arrive here mid December.
They are really tucking into the mealworms, sunflower seed feeders, homemade bread and homemade cocunut bird feeders.

Edited by lettice

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy Winters, Torrential Storm Summers
56 minutes ago, Dorsetbred said:

Karlos, as it's so cold up there, maybe it should be a deep fried one:whistling:

Oh yeah not had one of them for years nom nom. Not since my school days in southbourne 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.

Almost made it to -6C last night, bottoming out at -5.9C. Very frosty indeed though fortunately not icy on the roads as it's so dry. Took quite a few attempts to completely defrost the car windscreens this morning. Now where's that Atlantic undercut...

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow and summer heatwaves.

Chilly morning with an over night low on my main temperature sensor of -8.2c and bedroom sensor was colder at -11 but not sure it's that accurate. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.
1 minute ago, Nights King said:

Chilly morning with an over night low on my main temperature sensor of -8.2c and bedroom sensor was colder at -11 but not sure it's that accurate. 

-11 in the bedroom? Wow, you must sleep well! :rofl:

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: frosty, lots of snow and good ol fashion thunderstorms.

Morning, woke up this morning feeling a little bit chilly temp was -8c  outside not sure how accurate that was. warming slightly now. Currently -6.7c. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: The fabled channel low

We scraped a frost last night got to -1.1c, well done all for getting some seriously low figures (in relation to this winter anyway) 

Just a bit meh that it all goes mushy from tomorrow :sorry:

• Like 1

Posted

A min of -5.0C on the nose at 6.20am this morning.

Stunning out there and the ground has firmed up nicely.

IMGP0155_sm.thumb.jpg.c946f0690cbae0a67e

Here's my BFG impression.

IMGP0162_sm.thumb.jpg.8336027f43c9c085dc

• Like 5

Posted
7 minutes ago, festivalking said:

We scraped a frost last night got to -1.1c, well done all for getting some seriously low figures (in relation to this winter anyway) 

Just a bit meh that it all goes mushy from tomorrow :sorry:

Yes, I'm actually quite depressed about the next 10 days. But am convinced into February we will see another cold spell, that will actually be a cold spell. 

The irony of this cold spell is that the coldest 2 days here have been the past two days, when it was supposed to have ended :rofl:

so I think we will have to grin and Bear the next few days and then it's all eyes to the north or north east imo. 

I shall bookmark this post for either my backtrack or celebration of my vast knowledge in guess work.

• Like 1

Posted
Just now, karlos1983 said:

Yes, I'm actually quite depressed about the next 10 days. But am convinced into February we will see another cold spell, that will actually be a cold spell. 

The irony of this cold spell is that the coldest 2 days here have been the past two days, when it was supposed to have ended :rofl:

so I think we will have to grin and Bear the next few days and then it's all eyes to the north or north east imo. 

I shall bookmark this post for either my backtrack or celebration of my vast knowledge in guess work.

Absolutely the models makes fools of us all. After thinking the Atlantic would come in on Sunday (mind you it did here on Monday before giving up) it just shows how hard cold blocks are to shift. I feel your enthusiasm but it took such an effort to get the cold here I can't bear another couple of weeks obsessing at the models 4 times a day. Its knackering! Also it took such a long time to get this cold snap here, I know its only mid january but is there time?

I've taken to looking at the models once a day now, in fact you don't need to look at the models just seeing how many pages have been added to the MOD thread is enough to know what is or what is not happening.

Posted

Well it may be less cold here, having risen to about 0c at sunrise and 2c now at 9:35, but the same conditions in a way added to the beauty with some cloud in the sunrise:

P1010604.thumb.JPG.bf02c6dba29d0dd326232P1010607.thumb.JPG.716ac060ce4fb909b49e0P1010609.thumb.JPG.c1befc2644e9ee870dc5fP1010612.thumb.JPG.0016cf775e55ebf8e19ebP1010615.thumb.JPG.5c311f047bf6ba80a0c61P1010617.thumb.JPG.988d2f0c2620b26c0b3af

A nice hard frost across the fields, could wear normal shoes for once! Wish this could continue, even me being an advocate of 'active' Atlantic weather (which doesn't look like happening anyway), I'd much prefer this now.

Edited by Evening thunder
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snow in the winter, warm and dry in the summer !

Managed -7.6oC overnight and still -7oC so another ice day coming up?

Congrats to those that broke through -8 ! :) 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snow in the winter, warm and dry in the summer !

Looking through the meager amount of posts in the model thread (sure sign of the models not playing ball!) there does seem to be some glimmers of hope for about 9-10 days away. The GFS Parallel run particularly has been showing an easterly around the end of Jan for the past couple of runs.

A new model that is not 'live' yet but is scheduled to replace the current GFS system April/May this year so may not be a complete 'straw clutcher' !

Edited by wiltshire weather
typo
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot, hot, hot! Or cold, cold, cold!

Bottomed out at -4.9C last night: coldest min since Jan 2013 here. Not bad, considering my location on the coast and warmed by the balmy Southampton Water! Shame we didn't manage to tuck in a Channel Low, but I'm not too downhearted as temps do seem to fall away again at the end of next week....

• Like 1

Posted

Ahem, cough cough

timing is everything :rofl:

image.png

image.png

• Like 3

Posted

:D And as if by magic the GFS 6z has pretty much gone the same way as the Parallel run !

Phantom easterly chasing has begun ... 

• Like 1

Posted

2 minutes ago, karlos1983 said:

Ahem, cough cough

timing is everything :rofl:

image.png

image.png

Smooth operator!

If its there at the 12z then the obsession is re-ignited......

• Like 3

Posted

Probably dreaming here.. as this doesn't even happen on this unlikely run.. but if only we could get an intense cold pool go into France like this, but then get dragged NW across us by an undercut.. the Channel could become a 'lake affect' snow machine!
gfs.thumb.png.4d94154080d048af48b139127d

Edited by Evening thunder
  • Like 4

Posted
1 minute ago, Evening thunder said:

Probably dreaming here.. as this doesn't even happen on this unlikely run.. but if only we could get an intense cold pool go into France like this, but then get dragged NW across us by an undercut.. The Channel could become a 'lake affect' snow machine!

Aye - Everyone wins!!!

Posted
12 minutes ago, Evening thunder said:

Probably dreaming here.. as this doesn't even happen on this unlikely run.. but if only we could get an intense cold pool go into France like this, but then get dragged NW across us by an undercut.. the Channel could become a 'lake affect' snow machine!

Now who's becoming the MAD thread?

• Like 2