Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussions 12z 03/05/2016

Posted

GFS 12z turns on the hairdryer with some seriously hot air moving north from Spain, ukmo not bad at all at 144 so im still scratching my head at this meto update which frankly looks and sounds nothing like the output im looking at!

• Like 2

Posted

I'm not sure why why you should be scratching as the METO update isn't based on one GFS run. And the seriously hot air is ten days away, lasts a day, and probably wont be there  at midnight.

Edited by knocker
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer > Spring > Winter > Autumn :-)
11 minutes ago, northwestsnow said:

GFS 12z turns on the hairdryer with some seriously hot air moving north from Spain, ukmo not bad at all at 144 so im still scratching my head at this meto update which frankly looks and sounds nothing like the output im looking at!

I think it's not far off....they still expect things to turn more unsettled after, and I'm inclined to agree. The GFS will be a huge outlier again, the ensemble cluster still favours something closer to the MetO update. As knocker says, it'll be gone by the 18z and tomorrow in all likelihood. The jet looks like pushing lows from the NW in our general direction, so I think anything settled will be fairly short lived. 

Posted
6 minutes ago, knocker said:

I'm not sure why why you should be scratching as the METO update isn't based on one GFS run. And the seriously hot air is ten days away, lasts a day, and probably wont be there  at midnight.

Lasts a day? I think you must be looking at something different to me then.

And its not GFS in isolation, ukmo model shows no such thing as suggested by the metoffice update imho of course...;)

PS Add GEM to the list, its a stunner...:)

Edited by northwestsnow
  • Like 2

Posted
2 minutes ago, northwestsnow said:

Lasts a day? I think you must be looking at something different to me then.

And its not GFS in isolation, ukmo model shows no such thing as suggested by the metoffice update imho of course...;)

Okay post a chart which shows anything much above average before the 26th of June. It then shows this and this.

gfs_t2maf_slp_eur2_41.pnggfs_t2maf_slp_eur2_49.png

I think you are deliberately trying to mislead people

• Like 1

Posted
6 minutes ago, knocker said:

Okay post a chart which shows anything much above average before the 26th of June. It then shows this and this.

And i think your a bit rude, i dont try to mislead anybody, i cant post charts on this stupid laptop, i can post ukmo and ecm charts but not gfs ones for some stupid reason.

The 12z GFS is warm/ hot across much of England - well in my opinion it is, temps in the mid to high 20's for me is warm to hot, thats not misleading anyone, is it?

PS what is the average temp for London in late june? Daytime temp? around 22? 

Edited by northwestsnow
  • Like 5

Posted
4 minutes ago, northwestsnow said:

And i think your a bit rude, i dont try to mislead anybody, i cant post charts on this stupid laptop, i can post ukmo and ecm charts but not gfs ones for some stupid reason.

The 12z GFS is warm/ hot across much of England - well in my opinion it is, temps in the mid to high 20's for me is warm to hot, thats not misleading anyone, is it?

This is simply not true But I see we are now back to warm.

GFS 12z turns on the hairdryer with some seriously hot air

Edited by knocker

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish Plumes, Blizzards, Severe Frosts :-)

The Gfs 12z op is even warmer than the 00z in low res and it ends better too with high pressure firmly in control. It's great to see such eye candy charts which begin in around a weeks time, however, i don't want to be accused of misleading anyone after this morning's accusation so i will just say enjoy these charts and hope for the best!:D

h850t850eu.png

h850t850eu (1).png

ukmaxtemp.png

ukmaxtemp (1).png

ukmaxtemp (2).png

h850t850eu (2).png

ukprec.png

h850t850eu (3).png

ukmaxtemp (3).png

ukmaxtemp (4).png

h850t850eu (4).png

maxtemp.png

h850t850eu (5).png

ukmaxtemp (5).png

h500slp.png

h500slp (1).png

ukmaxtemp (6).png

h500slp (2).png

h500slp (3).png

h500slp (4).png

ukmaxtemp (7).png

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms
25 minutes ago, knocker said:

You said it lasted a day on this particular run - which is false. You either knew that or couldn't be bothered checking.

Chart for the 26th:

16500710b9574ccc8783e81aeb7371d9.png

Chart for the 27th:

c4ec00d53d50454a996a4198613f3c0f.png

Chart for the 28th:

f04a7c9014fe4b80a1a989860fc2105d.png

This may all be gone by tonight, but what the GFS currently shows lasts a little longer than 24 hours.

PS, the last chart keeps on getting resized to a very small image and I don't know why. 

Edited by Polar Maritime
To move discussion on.
  • Like 5

Posted

Anyway, lets not bicker of definition of warm or hot, the 12z's look much more favourable for summery weather across much of the UK, as my old mate frosty says, BANK!!:D

• Like 5

Posted
19 minutes ago, cheese said:

You said it lasted a day on this particular run - which is false. You either knew that or couldn't be bothered checking.

Chart for the 26th:

16500710b9574ccc8783e81aeb7371d9.png

Chart for the 27th:

c4ec00d53d50454a996a4198613f3c0f.png

Chart for the 28th:

f04a7c9014fe4b80a1a989860fc2105d.png

This may all be gone by tonight, but what the GFS currently shows lasts a little longer than 24 hours. 

PS, the last chart keeps on getting resized to a very small image and I don't know why. 

It comes as no surprise to me that two days a fair bit above average (okay I'll concede that) T24O- to T288 warrants

"GFS 12z turns on the hairdryer with some seriously hot air moving north from Spain"

And are we not allowed to question posts now.

Edited by Polar Maritime
To move discussion on

Posted
4 minutes ago, northwestsnow said:

Anyway, lets not bicker of definition of warm or hot, the 12z's look much more favourable for summery weather across much of the UK, as my old mate frosty says, BANK!!:D

Indeed, and nobody could accuse me of not backing up my posts with charts...I've already posted over 50 charts today alone! Bank:D

• Like 4

Posted
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.

Ok. Can we please continue with sensible discussion. Thanks.

• Like 3

Posted
1 minute ago, Polar Maritime said:

Ok. Can we please continue with sensible discussion. Thanks.

I get your point but don't feel at all sensible after that GFS run :D ....

....come over all giddy at the prospect of some hot sunshine and real summer weather!

• Like 4

Posted

The Gem 12z is also a peach if you like warmth and sunshine and it is under a week away, just like the ukmo so we are not talking about deep Fi here, the Gfs 12z warmth arrives in the south next thurs / fri so I'm happy with the 12z runs. Just hoping the Ecm 12z makes it a full house!:)

Rgem1202.gif

Rgem1442.gif

Rgem1441.gif

Rgem1681.gif

Rgem1921.gif

Rgem1922.gif

Rgem2401.gif

• Like 5

Posted

For the sake of balance...

gefsens850London0.png

It's probably no surprise the 12z op was sort of a warm outlier.....in the fact that the greater cluster is still below 10c, but it's not entirely without support for a warm/hot outcome. There is already ensemble divergence as early as day 3, and a wide spread by day 6, so anything after then should be taken with a truckload of salt.

• Like 3

Posted
3 minutes ago, mb018538 said:

For the sake of balance...

gefsens850London0.png

It's probably no surprise the 12z op was sort of a warm outlier.....in the fact that the greater cluster is still below 10c, but it's not entirely without support for a warm/hot outcome. There is already ensemble divergence as early as day 3, and a wide spread by day 6, so anything after then should be taken with a truckload of salt.

Good post :) Plenty of options on the table for next week, im hoping the high is durable ..

• Like 1

Posted

Great post Mb:) ECM 12z beginning to emerge up to day 5 and day 5 looks fairly warm I'm guessing with pressure 1020mb for northern England down. Ps I would post charts but my phone won't let me:fool:

Posted

Yeah ECM isn't quite as good as the UKMO with a bit more troughing.....but isn't too bad in the mid term. 10c isotherm clipping the SE by midweek.

Posted
2 minutes ago, knocker said:

Hair drier treatment applied to the Ukraine.

gefs_t2ma_5d_eur_37.png

Fantastic chart for Europe and even good old Blighty is above average temp wise, good to see ..;)

• Like 3

Posted

Nope, not much sign of the wind and rain the meto keep banging on about on the ecm either,out to 168 anyway..so thats ECM/GEM/UKMO/GFS and the kitchen sink not showing what the meto are suggesting for next week, utterly bizarre imho.

• Like 4

Posted

Reasonable ECM this evening with some warm air around, esp the further south and east you go.Generally low 20's for the south - hints the Atlantic is about to get lively as we head through next weekend with perhaps some unsettled stuff reaching NW Britain.

All in all though i'd suggest next week will be better than the current one!

HOT OF THE PRESS!!

Local forecaster just said sun returning by tues and i quote, 'it could last a while', sounds positive for warm weather fans, and thats the north west lol

Edited by northwestsnow
  • Like 3