Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model output discussion - 5th December 2016 - Into Winter we go

Paul

Posted

Looking at the UKMO day 7 chart that SS has posted I can see a key difference with the ECM at the same time. The ECM has the high pressure cell further north (Nova Scotia) while the UKMO has low pressure in that area and the high is further southeast.

I don't think the UKMO would produce the northerly so in my view the ECM is on its own this morning.

• Like 2

Posted
3 minutes ago, Iceberg said:

At t168 both ecm and meto have the low in a pretty similar place both with strong ridges and waa infront of them. 

IMG_0642.PNG

No, I see it further south on UKMO.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy Winters, Torrential Storm Summers
5 minutes ago, Iceberg said:

At t168 both ecm and meto have the low in a pretty similar place both with strong ridges and waa infront of them. 

IMG_0642.PNG

I thinks so. It's not easy to tell from the D7 chart that we have access to now, but at D6 they look in pretty good agreement To my eyes. Granted they are hungover eyes.. :drunk-emoji:

IMG_4726.PNGIMG_4728.GIF

Edited by karlos1983
  • Like 2

Posted

merry  xmas this  could  be the  xmas present  the coldies will  like  i know  its fi but its looking  good  and it wont happen!!!

gfs-2-384.png

Edited by Polar Maritime
To save confusion with Formula 1.
  • Like 2

Posted
7 minutes ago, booferking said:

GFS moving towards ecm again run by run it will get there always late to the party..

gfsnh-0-174.png

Yes, the 6z is slightly more amplified. It should give a decent topler at least.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow then clear and frosty.

The later 00z gefs are not without interest froom a cold pov as already been mentioned.

A cold easterly on the control run and a decent mean Ht anomaly chart for such a possibility

gensnh-0-1-384.pnggensnh-21-5-384.png

At least current outputs are trending towards a more amplified NH pattern towards NY so more opportunities for this sort of evolution will show.

• Like 6

Posted
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.

Certainly a better Northerly 'shot' for next weekend on the 6z run.

a.pngb.png

Also nice to see the Jet further South into the run, Although still powerful.. Pushing colder air over the UK from the N/W under an unstable PM flow.

a.pngb.pngc.png

Edited by Polar Maritime
  • Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers
27 minutes ago, daz_4 said:

GFS needs Christmas miracle. It's horrible compared to yesterday and it wasn't even that good to begin with.

gfsnh-0-228.png?6gfsnh-0-252.png?6

850's never get that high though so often on the chilly side

gfsnh-1-192.png?6gfsnh-1-216.png?6gfsnh-1-240.png?6

gfsnh-1-312.png?6gfsnh-1-360.png?6gfsnh-1-384.png?6

gfsnh-0-300.png?6gfsnh-0-348.png?6

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: blizzard conditions. ice days

With the current proposed position and 'state' of the polar vortex theres ample chance of decent cold 'shots' given that a pronounced block would ensure stability in a more locked in possible situ.. However again some good opportunity s for comeand go cchance! ...

And that's as it stands some good blocky scenario s are still in some output suites...

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

Has the the makings of one of those messy 'rain, sleet or snow' scenarios, I feel? Still, anything's preferable to hearing weather presenters close with the dreaded 'at least it'll be mild' expression!:)

• Like 6

Posted

Where will the Azores ridge settle next Year? USA get some new cold too - it could bring this ridge to the north - or it increases the jetstream again.....

754.png

Edited by Dennis

Posted

By day 10, the GEFS bias corrected and eps are trending towards each other. Moreso the GEFS although thereafter the NOAA suite trends back to high anomolies to our ne though much less convincing than the 00z run. I would say that the ens seem to have a handle on the envelope out to day 10 and thereafter it's all up in the air (pardon the pun!)

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental climate, snow winter, sunny summers
22 minutes ago, karyo said:

Even a sustained northerly may struggle to bring deep cold when the situation in the Arctic is so grim!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-38417198

Surprised it's as warm as they're saying (close to freezing), 850's look pretty cold currently and the polar vortex is stuck over Greenland. Can understand why it was so mild in November and earlier this month, but not now.

• Like 1

Posted
5 minutes ago, Gustywind said:

Surprised it's as warm as they're saying (close to freezing), 850's look pretty cold currently and the polar vortex is stuck over Greenland. Can understand why it was so mild in November and earlier this month, but not now.

Look at the T2's maxes on the gfsp 00z run n of Svalbard. of course they will change quickly once the ridging moves around but certainly way above where they should be at Xmas. 

• Like 1

Posted
4 minutes ago, Gustywind said:

I was also surprised to see this now but I guess it is the result of a succession of plumes that have reach the Arctic over the last few months combined with the record low ice cover. They even mention the increase of cloud cover which tends to trap warmth this time of the year.

Looking at the arctic ice extent graph, the last few days have recorded losses which is almost unbelievable for December! https://ads.nipr.ac.jp/vishop/#/extent

Karyo

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
7 minutes ago, Gustywind said:

The cold has been displaced elsewhere Sibera, for example and http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/picturegalleries/worldnews/10552968/US-weather-in-pictures-Polar-vortex-brings-big-freeze-to-North-America.html

Back on subject any sustained cold bar one or two cool days seems off the menu for the foreseeable future.