Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussion - Into Summer 2020.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot, cold!

GFS 18z T96:

spacer.pngimage.thumb.jpg.664eb59088585f93452c71079e3665e2.jpg

I think that low with the orientation is just going to fuel a big height rise to our east and set up a plume scenario, we will see...

Edited by Mike Poole
  • Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hurricanes, Thunderstorms and blizzards please!
10 minutes ago, Mike Poole said:

GFS 18z T96:

image.thumb.jpg.664eb59088585f93452c71079e3665e2.jpg

I think that low with the orientation is just going to fuel a bit height rise to our east and set up a plume scenario, we will see...

Good call.  The placement of that low is going to be crucial to how the following days pan out.  We could do with it just edging back north and west a bit more to make it more palatable to our western members.  It's certainly trying out to 138

image.thumb.png.96d69d7be0a0f3c8fa9b6194d247ef16.png

Edited by Ice Day
  • Like 8

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot, cold!

Day 7, T168:

image.thumb.jpg.a34082ea5e38da655b85c426fec9ac9c.jpgimage.thumb.jpg.9f2f9e26aaf5b15fe87b37434c5bfe55.jpg

I think the SE is nailed on for a hot shot mid next week now,  less settled further NW mind....

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hurricanes, Thunderstorms and blizzards please!

Out to 186 and it's looking really good.  I've seen enough, happy note to go to bed on!

image.thumb.png.f8d77cb281d3453062d5d92a4cc3b0ab.png

• Like 9

Posted
1 hour ago, northwestsnow said:

UKMOPEU00_144_1.thumb.png.88555ff50cd4e0508393342cdf0f81ce.png

UKMO 144...☀️

And the 850's..

UW144-7.thumb.gif.107daf4b45c4b46aae66cc5be49a7495.gif

Hot hot hot...

A joy to wake up to this morning... 

Finally have our first significant rainfall in months as I type, here in Oxfordshire, and the model prospects look good. 

Thanks all! 

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and frost in the winter. Hot and sunny, thunderstorms in the summer.

Day 6 charts/850s

GFS/UKMO/GEM

gfs-0-144.png   UW144-21.GIF?18-07   image.thumb.png.85e16e9169ee2de3aa825f6090c611d4.png

image.thumb.png.1fe0ec7c0ee748fd8893980b8e073b19.png   image.thumb.png.70606607bfb386dea535435fb3bbf02b.png   image.thumb.png.175496e7d9b87e53e529ed38ce7b4053.png   

The UKMO and GEM look good with a continental feed from Wednesday (Albeit fairly brief), the GFS however is pretty flat this morning with a broad west to south west flow, the south east looks decent but there would be a front straddled across the middle of the country for several days as the boundary between the warmth to the south and Atlantic air remains in place.

For context the GEFs

image.thumb.png.beb3fb6353830f019fb5039e1a3b7ba6.png

The operational is one of, if not the most pessimistic of the ensemble suite with most taking a similar path to the UKMO/GEM solutions.

Edited by Captain Shortwave
  • Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and frost in the winter. Hot and sunny, thunderstorms in the summer.

Second run in a row that the ECM has produced that shallow secondary low, this time it has developed into a cut off feature. Very close to achieving a furnace run (pattern probably a little too flat this time around).

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer > Spring > Winter > Autumn :-)

The ECM 00z also has temperatures staying between 20-22c all night in parts of the E/SE on Wednesday and Thursday night into Friday:

33966310-3069-445A-B59B-46AA7D888BA8.thumb.jpeg.268ee7f829f8815fb0569bd2affecf9f.jpeg

Now that’s an uncomfortable night for anyone!

• Like 7

Posted

I’m going to guess this will be the top ecm run on the ensembles. Probably best run of the summer if you want a bit of heat for a few days. That cut off low is massively important as it helps turn the flow much more continental than the GFS - which is by no means terrible either.

• Like 6

Posted

Well   EC turns on the hairdryer ...☀️

Weekend onwards looks fabulous for many with temps climbing into the high 20s for favoured spots by mid week.

I'm quite blessed to live in the foothills of the Pennines which has some beautiful scenery and some excellent waters to fish.Hopefully as i am off work next week i can set the alarm for 6am and head off to the pond ,much more appealing in the sunshine !

Ramble aside i'm hoping we see a few storms at some point next week ,it could get interesting...

• Like 9

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

Aye, as others have already intimated, that secondary low (GFS 00Z) could do with gaining a bit more definition; as that would almost guarantee us at least a short, sharp El Scorchio!:oldgrin:

h500slp.png    h850t850eu.png

All seems to sort of 'lose the plot' after T+240 or so...But, I'll leave the gory details to @Alderc. Morning Chris!:oldgood:

Well, I'd say that the critical point occurs somewhere around June 27th, as ens scatter takes over around that time?:unsure2:

t850Norfolk.png    prmslNorfolk.png

t2mNorfolk.png    prcpNorfolk.png

At least there are no signs of a Greenland block setting up, any time soon. Allah be praised!

npsh500mean-006.png    npsh500mean-096.png

npsh500mean-240.png    npsh500mean-384.png

• Like 7

Posted

E148D5DF-76E3-40D0-ABDE-8EBED4E9B425.thumb.png.05aa06b7bb331222d540a0f92e3c9716.png

ECM a big outlier at the end as you’d expect....but let’s look at the positives here. The mean is close to or at 15c for 4 days from Tuesday to Friday. A significant warm up for 3/4 days is looking ever more likely.

• Like 4

Posted

Interesting that as the uppers increase late next week on the ECM, the temperatures slightly decrease away from the south as Atlantic air undercuts from the north - not that one again! Still, three days of raw temps 30-32C in the south, which would represent a decent heatwave, but lots to go under the bridge and still very much the chance of the hottest part of the plume missing to the east. Given the mean chart, though, a decent chance of achieving our first 30C of the year next week. 

• Like 3

Posted

And here's something for the pure model nerds, there are some pretty spectacular ECM ensembles this morning (about 20% support for the op up until next Friday), and this particular ensemble breaks the scale - watch how it builds between next Thursday and the following Tuesday - bear in mind these these are 1pm temperatures, not maximums - so probably pushing 100F by the end of the heatwave

https://weather.us/model-charts/euro/england/m50_temperature/20200625-1200z.html

https://weather.us/model-charts/euro/england/m50_temperature/20200626-1200z.html

https://weather.us/model-charts/euro/england/m50_temperature/20200627-1200z.html

https://weather.us/model-charts/euro/england/m50_temperature/20200628-1200z.html

https://weather.us/model-charts/euro/england/m50_temperature/20200629-1200z.html

https://weather.us/model-charts/euro/england/m50_temperature/20200630-1200z.html

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

Posted

Mmm not sure about ECM this morning and the cut off low idea, suspect it's an outlier, too much forcing from the Atlantic. As often the case probably end up with a half-way house between GFS and ECM, ridge building through UK next week, but temporary feature, before Atlantic trough moves in by the weekend. Significant heat reserves for very far SE only, too much of a SW fetch from the Atlantic else way. High 20s central parts probable Thursday 25th, 30 degrees quite likely far SE. 

• Like 2

Posted

Thursday 18 June 500 mb update

Ec-gfs both pretty similar with the major trough position, ec more rounded, then both having European ridging into northern Scandinavia, largely blocking any eastward movement of the trough. Both rather different from those above, ec especially. Noaa is not much different to the ec-gfs ideas on the contour set up, it has not markedly changed in a week or more, minor adjustments to the shapes and intensities/positions of the major trough-ridge close to the uk. Nor is its 8-14 so much different regarding the trough, moved slightly east as it shifts/declines the ridge slightly e.

As mean charts none suggest any lengthy ridging at 500 mb, nor probably at the surface but that does not preclude short spells, say 48-72 hours or so when either troughing or ridging at 500 mb will govern the surface weather. To me it looks like, on average, nw-se differences with more changeable for the nw and less so for the se quadrant of the uk? It should be reasonably warm other than the odd day in more central regions of the country, similar to today when frontal activity is more noticeable and not just for the nw quadrant of the uk? Storms? Well these charts, as currently showing give no guidance in my view; the recent days of storms from the se are the result of the old cold pool that brought the surface low down from Iceland some days ago.

http://mp1.met.psu.edu/~fxg1/ECMWF_0z/hgtcomp.html

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

Out to T+120 and the GFS 06Z is looking okay...27C for the SE?:oldgrin:

• Like 4

Posted
7 minutes ago, sheikhy said:

Upgrade from gfs 06z and more in line with ecm and ukmo!!heat further west as well!!fantastic output if you like heat!!

Not sure it's an upgrade in terms of heat- the uppers are lower but it certainly prolongs the more settled conditions. I wouldn't be surprised if this run is an outlier in terms of temperature.

• Like 3