Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model output discussion - Winter has arrived

Paul

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything

ECM at d8 closer to the GFS than the GEM though getting there a different way early on. It is at D6 when the low in the west on the jet that drives post-d7:

ecm>ECE1-192.thumb.gif.8de05b276bec147674a45fef7a3f9442.gifgfs>gfseu-0-192.thumb.png.4626cafece512a7ecccf378e38a6b33c.png

gem>gemeu-0-192.thumb.png.16611f0b78944d0d71594d311e71be4c.png

GEM manages to avoid a link with the other Atlantic low, but GFS and ECM co-join those lows breaking the slider scenario. Very fine margins when the features are driving the trop pattern.

Edited by IDO

Posted
1 minute ago, chionomaniac said:

I like more fruit in my jam. I prefer conserve and I am patient enough to hold off on the jam if there is a chance of conserve further down the line....

The ECM 12z has winds from North Africa at t+216. You'll be able to grow that fruit.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: All of it!
17 minutes ago, Skullzrulerz said:

Cold rain alert

There's no cold pool

It’s slowly getting colder though...

• Like 2

Posted
17 minutes ago, Decemberof2010 said:

ECM and GFS at 144.

68567F90-A210-4E74-9672-38DDE9357F77.png

FC958B86-ECFB-453A-8E68-C016DE26D280.png

Noted earlier GFSP and UKMO not entirely dissimilar and leave the GFS on its own.. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot, cold!
21 minutes ago, mountain shadow said:

Here's hoping Chiono but I'm a jam tomorrow kinda guy.

I always worry that the longer we wait, something comes along to scupper the whole damn thing.

I’m not so sure, since I’ve been model watching the best snowy spells have a) been associated with SSW events, and b) have had an inevitability about them and to watch them develop through to the snow at the end has been fascinating.  I’m thinking March 2018 and the run up, and also Jan 2013, and March too, although that didn’t really deliver in the south, and the run up.  

We seem now to have a narrative that gives good synoptics now in December, has a possible SSW in January (differing views about when) and possible big rewards in February.  I’m set comfy with the popcorn!  Well, actually it’s beer...

Edited by Mike Poole
  • Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: severe storms,snow wind and ice

ECH1-216.thumb.gif.e1447836c7ade691e3be9fe8a1163e78.gif

the point i was trying to make was amplification downstream with upstream ridge ahead of it into Iceland,the ECM doesn't quite make it but looks good on the face of it, @KTtom,that Scuasian block is good for a holding pattern for later down the line.

Edited by Allseasons-si
typo
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow,Thunderstorms mix both for heaven THUNDERSNOW 😜😀🤤🥰

@Steve Murr still controlling the GEM control run  26F3E938-1046-4FC4-BEB1-F4B64B8D931A.thumb.png.9a855c256c2c046703cd46273d6103a3.png still a very interesting outlook as others are mentioning especially for those of us that are of a cold persuasion ⛄️ .. blocking still the big player moving forward, also have noticed a few runs trying to get higher pressure moving into the Arctic from the pacific side possibly one to keep an eye on. 64BF4451-EC5C-4B03-A4AE-8F0198F90010.thumb.png.e4fd4581c38ed30caf798c836a23ecf1.pngF4D06D4C-00D6-4FF0-8BC7-97D0BD9ABA2A.thumb.png.31fa3e68953642d0137267ffaccd6340.png

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything

Not saying GFS is right but ecm is def moving towards the gfs solution; compare ecm 0z and 12z runs for d10'ish:

0z>ECE1-240.thumb.gif.c6cde4b712794eaf4aef7e633e4fa81d.gif12z>ECE1-216.thumb.gif.90c99b03e54def85d784ff293edec645.gif

Posted

The ECM warm up at day 10 isn't a bad chart its promoting WAA further west and encouraging that big Russian high over Scandi and Iceland. We'd be back in the freezer 5 or 6 days later and injecting more warmth into the arctic. Get a more acute attack and we have charts similar to the build up of March 2018

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: All of it!
11 minutes ago, dragan said:

eh......no it’s not lol

There’s more -4 850s on the ECM, it’s gradual I grant you, but definitely an improvement in the cold pooling on our doorstep 

Edit: I’m referring to 144 here, I’m paying no attention to what’s going on beyond that at the moment 

Edited by Beanz
  • Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and frost in the winter. Hot and sunny, thunderstorms in the summer.

Try again in say, 6 months time ECM

image.thumb.gif.e4ed96efaece71b5b129b41ce490255f.gif

No this isn’t close to the GFS here, this is a late spring/early summer type of sluggishness in the Atlantic. Unfortunately the amplification has rolled a snake eyes to end up in a mild southerly like this.

Edited by Captain Shortwave
  • Like 1

Posted
12 minutes ago, dragan said:

eh......no it’s not lol

In the reliable period out to day 7 the ecm is a pretty chilly run .... back end of the run unlikely to pan out quite like that 

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...
4 minutes ago, chionomaniac said:

I’m happy to look at day 5 ECM and see amplification possibilities rather than looking at day 10 Armageddon type scenarios that never come to fruition. So with that, happy with ECM and UKMO when linked with the  teleconnective background factors. No doubt we will see something different with the socially distanced ( and substantial meal ) pub run

Well, the ECM can't possibly be such a 'scotch egg' of a run as the GFS!:drunk-emoji:

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!
23 minutes ago, General Cluster said:

Well, the ECM can't possibly be such a 'scotch egg' of a run as the GFS!:drunk-emoji:

user name Scott Chegg next!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and Snow -20 would be nice :)
20 minutes ago, General Cluster said:

“Scotch egg “ That redefines the models....full of meaty output and ends up with egg on it’s face

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot, cold!
6 minutes ago, bluearmy said:

Extended eps clusters show something I’ve never seen before with three sets of 33%! 

Very happy for them, but what does that mean for our cold prospects?

(Or is there a chart in your post that i for some reason can’t see?)

Edited by Mike Poole