Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model output discussion - Winter has arrived

Paul

Posted
13 minutes ago, jules216 said:

Arctic High anomally is impressive only if we could drain the High Pressure away from Europe

gensnh-31-5-264.png

This could become a concern if this was to happen 

Hopefully closer to the time we will be able to see less high pressure around Europe though of course there's a lot to go though yet 

• Like 1

Posted

Obvious cherry picking and not even close to the mean (which is far, far less amplified) but P18 has the right idea! 
image.thumb.png.9395f4d551a31f7f6fad00f1e7e51f9d.png

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Tropical and Winter
1 minute ago, ITSY said:

Obvious cherry picking and not even close to the mean (which is far, far less amplified) but P18 has the right idea! 

18z, P18.. Something about that number huh? 

• Like 1

Posted

Am I the only one in here looking at the current NH profiles from various sources and thinking, “hmmmm?” Plenty of interest for me. On a day the MetO say that snow could be a thing of the past...

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: continental climate
3 minutes ago, Skullzrulerz said:

This could become a concern if this was to happen 

Hopefully closer to the time we will be able to see less high pressure around Europe though of course there's a lot to go though yet 

Euro high very well linked to a cut of low close to UK/IE, that though could aid the WAA to link with Arctic high, so you can't win, good overall hemispheric view at the cost of poor Europe for time being days 7-11 probably at least. Only if WAA happened about 1000km to the west,but you never win these days in Europe, its like we are cursed

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storm, drizzle

image.thumb.png.7e67f1cc7ffcf885020ae80ad8e0adec.pngimage.thumb.png.5a14572c888cb22ccf51e67d98cd82b7.pngimage.thumb.png.fc776d5211f90f41be4ecd72c6b9bae6.png

1 week Hot, the next freezing Cold

image.thumb.png.be623c2cee97f8b31e487f9da6ed45fb.png

A dep low approaches just before the Cold.

image.thumb.png.b4aa08da50f6176508fff63af3d82af6.png

The H500 showing an interesting angle

image.thumb.png.2ef0f717008e682f398c219ab6074091.png

An explosion of pink, in the northern hemishpere, a cold Snap.image.thumb.png.2f108108fc806cd2acf3811c304d36b3.png

A sign of things to  come.

image.thumb.png.13c15ac8f88ffef67f24bb6cd8d27a39.png

Another Western Ridge setting up looking Good.

Posted

image.thumb.png.ee7d03bd6104e1f69a0d9958b061a7cd.png

A certain Slavic word beggining with B comes to mind Holy (insert Slavic Word) 2 days before Christmas.

image.thumb.png.a1936158e78e2b5097988031b9a8352a.png

We've got another Beast from the East.

Edited by XanderP007

Posted
3 minutes ago, johnholmes said:

I have to say that, in my view, they are about as reliable as the oft mentioned chocolate teapot1

Looking at the 500 mb charts over the next 2 weeks, see below, and they do not suggest any outbreak of genuine cold in that time. Yes, there is the broad band of +ve heights and ridging across the chart from northern Europe/Russia west but the upstream pattern is not, yet, conducive to any buckling the 500 mb flow. Well not in my view anyway. That is during the next 2 weeks.

http://mp1.met.psu.edu/~fxg1/ECMWF_0z/hgtcomp.html

I can Dream

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: continental climate

Considering 6Z GEFS seems to have usually a progresive Nature its good to see they bring the cold anomalies closer to Európe within the reach of Christmas period

anim_zvs2.gif

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extreme weather

So lovely looking gfs06z run. But now here is the but. Wasn’t we told yesterday when it was showing the Atlantic moving in it was discounted as been the more over progressive run of the day. And to discount it.! Now it’s showing winter nivarna deep in FI it’s great. I’d love to see those charts verify for Xmas week but we all know deep down that it won’t happen. Just find it funny how the gfs is like a love hate model. When it shows what we don’t want it’s garbage. But when it’s showing these cold runs it’s amazing. Anyway let’s see what this evening model output shows. But I’d certainly wouldn’t be betting my mortgage on a cold and snowy Xmas. 

• Like 4

Posted
Just now, terrier said:

So lovely looking gfs06z run. But now here is the but. Wasn’t we told yesterday when it was showing the Atlantic moving in it was discounted as been the more over progressive run of the day. And to discount it.! Now it’s showing winter nivarna deep in FI it’s great. I’d love to see those charts verify for Xmas week but we all know deep down that it won’t happen. Just find it funny how the gfs is like a love hate model. When it shows what we don’t want it’s garbage. But when it’s showing these cold runs it’s amazing. Anyway let’s see what this evening model output shows. But I’d certainly wouldn’t be betting my mortgage on a cold and snowy Xmas. 

Absolutely! Love it when it behaves in the bin when they misbehave.  I mean truly whatever happened to Harmony from last week..

Dumped without a second thought.. ruthless bunch we are.. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow,Thunderstorms mix both for heaven THUNDERSNOW 😜😀🤤🥰
5 minutes ago, terrier said:

So lovely looking gfs06z run. But now here is the but. Wasn’t we told yesterday when it was showing the Atlantic moving in it was discounted as been the more over progressive run of the day. And to discount it.! Now it’s showing winter nivarna deep in FI it’s great. I’d love to see those charts verify for Xmas week but we all know deep down that it won’t happen

I wouldn’t be so sure of that still a long way to go but my interest continues to grow for the run up to Christmas, it isn’t just a sudden appearance of these colder charts they have been popping up for a decent amount of time (certainly over the last few weeks at least). It’s definitely an interesting time for model watching and maybe becoming more interesting as we head toward ’s time

• Like 3

Posted
1 hour ago, ITSY said:

YES please!!

Edited by DiagonalRedLine
Reply was stuck inside the quote box

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.
36 minutes ago, TSNWK said:

Absolutely! Love it when it behaves in the bin when they misbehave.  I mean truly whatever happened to Harmony from last week..

Dumped without a second thought.. ruthless bunch we are.. 

Well it was right, and stuck to it, ECM was right once then moved away. I think it will appear again next chance of snow, or storms, it's pretty good in the short term re where ppn will be. It's not a model for looking forward.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted

I see the GFS love in is back given its colder output to in the much longer range. Reality is, it was right in trying to bring the Atlantic in and it will get milder again. Could be significantly mild also with double figures widely expected.  

As usual, the Arctic high will be very hard to model, the orientation in the longer term is perfect for cold to flood down the Eastern flank but its not a set up we see often these days sadly. Hopefully the trends of the Russian high weakening continues, biggest waste of time and will never deliver significant cold. 

All in all, apart from longer range potential, there is nothing really too cheer about for cold lovers sadly. 

• Like 2

Posted
8 minutes ago, Geordiesnow said:

I see the GFS love in is back given its colder output to in the much longer range. Reality is, it was right in trying to bring the Atlantic in and it will get milder again. Could be significantly mild also with double figures widely expected.  

As usual, the Arctic high will be very hard to model, the orientation in the longer term is perfect for cold to flood down the Eastern flank but its not a set up we see often these days sadly. Hopefully the trends of the Russian high weakening continues, biggest waste of time and will never deliver significant cold. 

All in all, apart from longer range potential, there is nothing really too cheer about for cold lovers sadly. 

Okay and do you have anything to add related to the models? 

What about the 2m temperatures, yes the show it getting milder, but significantly so? I am not sure.

ens_image.php?geoid=49069&var=205&run=6&

The GFS getting the Atlantic in eventually is not the win you think it is, even more so when its not actually happened yet.

I agree there is nothing in all the output in the near term that would bring cheer to the cold hunters heart, beyond day 7 thou there is plenty of  potential for the longer term, I am surprised you have not read about it from the many contributors to this forum or even seen any evidence of this your self, hang on you mention an artic high so you can clearly see it but I suppose if something is rare it never happens and therefore never happened which is very illogical.

• Like 7

Posted

Clearly we are looking at an unsettled phase, perhaps aided by the Russian High as Atlantic lows disrupt...

However, there are signs we are seeing some effects are beginning to be seen up in the strat. Zonal winds are forecast to relent and we still have easterlies at the bottom of the strat preventing a coupling...

There are reasons to be hopeful im sure, I get the jitters when we see a Euro high building, let's hope it can push North ...

Posted

Could be a stupid question, if this decoupling between the trop and strat persists, does this negate any (or most) effect from decreased zonal winds due to stratosphere warming up?

Sorry if this is the wrong thread for this sort of question

Edited by jamesgold
  • Like 1

Posted
5 minutes ago, jamesgold said:

Could be a stupid question, if this decoupling between the trop and strat persists, does this negate any (or most) effect from decreased zonal winds due to stratosphere warming up?

Sorry if this is the wrong thread for this sort of question

I'm not sure it matters?  In that, if coupled, the strat vortex can only help drive the trop vortex, it's absence due to sudden warming means no driver.  Basically the engine is turned off so it does not matter if the clutch is engaged or not?

• Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowfall
42 minutes ago, northwestsnow said:

Clearly we are looking at an unsettled phase, perhaps aided by the Russian High as Atlantic lows disrupt...

However, there are signs we are seeing some effects are beginning to be seen up in the strat. Zonal winds are forecast to relent and we still have easterlies at the bottom of the strat preventing a coupling...

There are reasons to be hopeful im sure, I get the jitters when we see a Euro high building, let's hope it can push North ...

Euro heights building with a displaced and uncoupled strat vortex, worth looking in the wetterzentrale noaa archives for Jan 16th -18th 1947 to see what that can be a precursor for.........

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow Snow and more Snow!
5 minutes ago, Broadmayne blizzard said:

Euro heights building with a displaced and uncoupled strat vortex, worth looking in the wetterzentrale noaa archives for Jan 16th -18th 1947 to see what that can be a precursor for.........

Lot of talk of 47' this year. I am not super familiar with it but I keep seeing it pop up all over the place.

• Like 1