Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussion - Colder spell ending, what's to follow?

Paul

Posted
4 minutes ago, matty40s said:

Steve Murr

uJvYEd4.gif?noredirect
IMGUR.COM

Imgur: The magic of the Internet

Steve will of course be viewing the models - but I doubt the current output has him looking in here yet ......and certainly not posting 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow & Thunderstorms

Overall positive runs again this morning as the trend continues to grow toward a colder outlook and maybe even some snow for the lucky few on the big day who knows!

It seems like forever we have been looking towards the last third of the month to see what transpires and it's still only the 13th!

The main three this morning at day 6.

UN144-21.thumb.GIF.351f02efbcff9876dbf1915371b2fab0.GIFECH1-144.thumb.png.94a51fae8b3ba1b2be14bf44b9285221.pnggfsnh-0-138.thumb.png.f96c7e941f03f64816ed9ea71ad25b4c.png

A fairly decent match, although I would say the ECM doesn't look as good with it making more of those horrid purples western side of Greenland we hate to see. More unsettled conditions to come but I think most realize that was always to be the case at this juncture.

Fast forward to day 10 however and things are starting to look interesting.

The latest GFS's take.

gfsnh-0-240.thumb.png.5d225862a967dc12e1480e6b7af2e3fb.png

That horrible stuck pattern we have had to endure finally starting to change, can we continue in this vein and end up something similar to the control?

gensnh-0-1-240.thumb.png.628b90d51df3c3b54dcfc7baaac2f9ff.png

Not a bad GFS day 10 improving ensemble mean either.

gensnh-31-1-240.thumb.png.6536895d20b76b6bdc544efde50767c3.png

For balance however, the ECM doesn't look anywhere near as good to me, unsettled throughout and less amplified at day 10.

ECH1-240.thumb.png.ad324eacd6bcfe60ffb65c1e1154d526.png

Still many twists & turns yet i feel, onto the 12z's!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storm, drizzle

that low comes out of nowhere looking like the gulf has given up for us and sent it to Spin instead if this continues could mean a good start to 2021.

anim_oxi5.gif

Posted

spacer.pngGEFS 06z mean for Christmas Day

To be honest that is not a bad mean for 25th Dec. There will be some very decent cold runs in there with a Northerly component and good uppers i suspect.

spacer.png

spacer.png Trending Colder ! 2m temps GEFS 06z ( Yorkshire )

Edited by Jeremy Shockey
  • Like 5

Posted
1 hour ago, BLAST FROM THE PAST said:

Got 8/1 for Norwich.  It’s 3/1 now...

The timing is still consistent....last week of December, and as it gets closer the potential cold thrust remains at that time on the models.  It won’t be before as our window imo is and remains the last week.

BFTP

New Year or a day or 2 maximum before

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hurricanes, Thunderstorms and blizzards please!

GFS 0z v 6z

0z image.png.db656dd36a5642e26654774512be3626.png 6z image.thumb.png.fb121c591373b4e7f4b82394de4a3571.png

More colder options showing on the 6z, Christmas and Boxing Day's seem to be favoured for cold.  Very Very early days though and too early to be a notable trend, but I'd rather see this than not!

Edit - Just to confirm that this is for my location, looks even better further north!

Edited by Ice Day
  • Like 4

Posted
16 minutes ago, dragan said:

This post removed

Whos mentioned absolute arctic full on conditions? Is that what seasonal weather is? 

Let's just see what happens i wrote if you check my posts that im taking a few days off as this place will be depressive with bad runs up until nearer to time to the end of the month with the delayed tropical forcing and come back on cue this week.

I believe we'll see a cold spell the end of the month and a better one end of January ive not moved from it. In the meantime stop your tiresome trolling. Your meant to be an adult

Edited by Blessed Weather
  • Like 4

Posted
28 minutes ago, dragan said:

SNIPPED

i am looking at the charts and saying what i see:

image.thumb.png.f4ff1f008b0ec1c3a88c965fcb01a75f.png

image.png

If you take charts at face value and cant read and know why they might be wrong due to background signals known bias means trends and clusters then no offense you need to spend a bit more time learning. No one takes individual runs and proclaims thats what's being shown as the end result.

Newbies. Please take no notice. Look for the things above as in this distance the chances of things being correct are slim to none 

Edited by Norrance
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Posted

Hope we see more gfs enesmbles dip below the minus 10 hpa line,seen that happen before when a cold spell is around the corner,although of course nothing is a certainty  where gfs is concerned lol

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, plumes, snow, severe weather

The 06z GFS control run is an absolute peach in time for Christmas... if this was to come off then it would most likely result in some snow for the majority of the country on Christmas Day and the risk of more snow a few days after and potentially into New Years Day... what a run!

gens-0-1-300.thumb.png.702f1289e2277de52c1da882f3563e12.png   gens-0-0-300.thumb.png.ff9c155515150b6892af7249aef876a6.png   gens-0-1-384.thumb.png.e7d42ad18ec31d5f7670393ac758acd5.png   gens-0-0-384.thumb.png.96b27d79f1c458199acb5c1abb07cd66.png

Edited by Zak M
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Posted
21 minutes ago, SLEETY said:

Hope we see more gfs enesmbles dip below the minus 10 hpa line,seen that happen before when a cold spell is around the corner,although of course nothing is a certainty  where gfs is concerned lol

-10 c!  You’re not asking for much given where those temps currently reside !!

Posted
5 hours ago, Man With Beard said:

ECM 00z ensembles is a return to the pattern of previous runs - by Dec 24th, about 70% put a weak ridge near Iberia leading to SWlies for the UK, and most of the other runs throw up a weak Atlantic ridge allowing a quick northerly.

No real change as far as I’m concerned.

5891985F-A5A1-4D50-B5D3-BF2AD9070A7F.thumb.gif.c38e6c4bca0ca2cf9e2fb3632e988c2f.gif

• Thanks 1

Posted
5 minutes ago, Daniel* said:

No real change as far as I’m concerned.

5891985F-A5A1-4D50-B5D3-BF2AD9070A7F.thumb.gif.c38e6c4bca0ca2cf9e2fb3632e988c2f.gif

I think this weak ridge near Iberia will be more mid lat to higher scrussian blocking come nearer time in line with the tropical signals then retro to Greenland (which is why weak signals) i think models are too fast with this cold spell but I hope I'm wrong) again obviously it's not all doom though as the scrussian block will hopefully be the final nail in the strato coffin. The other option is the tropical wave zips past 6 into 7 and gives us these Greenland heights at this time frame but isn't as good for longer term cold due to a lack of strat wave breaking 

Edited by Scott Ingham
  • Like 2

Posted
54 minutes ago, Scott Ingham said:

I think this weak ridge near Iberia will be more mid lat to higher scrussian blocking come nearer time in line with the tropical signals then retro to Greenland (which is why weak signals) i think models are too fast with this cold spell but I hope I'm wrong) again obviously it's not all doom though as the scrussian block will hopefully be the final nail in the strato coffin. The other option is the tropical wave zips past 6 into 7 and gives us these Greenland heights at this time frame but isn't as good for longer term cold due to a lack of strat wave breaking 

I personally hope the models aren't being too quick to bring in the cold. I want to see this count down from day 11. I get what you mean about any delays may bring something more meaningful cold wise. However, from bitter past experience, I have found that any delay just leads to the potential for further delays.......... Then its April before we know it lol. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storm, drizzle

Let it rain let it rain let it rain?️.

image.thumb.png.6ba13e3b6cf6f32548518dbc6ab7d3fe.png

No use looking past a 5 day outlook, you get random charts that aren't going to come to pass that Easternly ridge isn't going to move is it, I findit better looking at shorter charts like this.

image.thumb.png.3ed5f9cad4325ce97ffc784a1cd52741.png

2 Days time and we've already got a better chrt

Ifyou like even more rain,

• Like 1

Posted

Icon out shortly... 

Coldies now have a bit of hope for the Christmas countdown...

Should have a good idea by day 7/8 if seasonal weather is likely around the 25th... hope we get a bit of luck,we are long overdue some !!

Edited by northwestsnow
  • Like 7

Posted
Just now, blizzard81 said:

I personally hope the models aren't being too quick to bring in the cold. I want to see this count down from day 11. I get what you mean about any delays may bring something more meaningful cold wise. However, from bitter past experience, I have found that any delay just leads to the potential for further delays.......... Then its April before we know it lol. 

In my opinion there's not enough amplitude in the wave to create a massive Greenland High. I don't see it being a prolonged spell I see a small high that becomes west based a few days later so my head tells me stop in MJO 6 for a bit longer and give us a SSW 4 weeks later for a proper spell. I get what you mean though lol but I bet you wished it did if we had a week of cold and a few flakes (the snow amounts part is only my opinion based on not injecting enough cold south) but that's certainly open to something more severe

• Like 5

Posted
1 minute ago, Scott Ingham said:

In my opinion there's not enough amplitude in the wave to create a massive Greenland High. I don't see it being a prolonged spell I see a small high that becomes west based a few days later so my head tells me stop in MJO 6 for a bit longer and give us a SSW 4 weeks later for a proper spell. I get what you mean though lol but I bet you wished it did if we had a week of cold and a few flakes (the snow amounts part is only my opinion based on not injecting enough cold south) but that's certainly open to something more severe

At this juncture that looks a sensible position to adopt.

A collapsing Mid Atlantic high looks the form horse, how this High collapses is key , 6z showed enough energy dropping into mainland Europe to keep the UK cold....

• Like 7

Posted
Just now, northwestsnow said:

At this juncture that looks a sensible position to adopt.

A collapsing Mid Atlantic high looks the form horse, how this High collapses is key , 6z showed enough energy dropping into mainland Europe to keep the UK cold....

Yeah agreed. The only way I can see the models going straight to a greeny high is if they are expecting a practically cod scenario into phase 7 but the rmm plots show low to medium amplitude. Id rather it play out as forecast which is phase 6 inside the next 5-10 days and some disruption high up then onto phase 7 and 8 and greenie heights

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: action weather

Hoping for a good Ecm this evening Gang, and Gfs of course ,we have crumbs of Comfort   so lets hope we can Bake a good Christmas crusty Loaf, Deep and crisp and even , good posts today , we have a great forum ,let the Hunt commence, take care all ,catch you up later .

• Like 3