Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model output discussion - Closing in on Christmas

Paul

Posted

It's not perfect but not quite seeing fuss with 18z it wouldn't take much to entertain widespread snow potential it's better hemispherically than 12z.

gfsnh-0-294.thumb.png.e81a7d96fddc38694c68b1e9be9bb337.pnggfsnh-0-270.thumb.png.cb47f1e3d3f1aba8c41f7352f3c120c2.png

Trop vortex just dissolves away...

gfsnh-0-300.thumb.png.c99c107de7d41a4e8f33223b14a07002.png

Edited by Daniel*
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.
10 minutes ago, kold weather said:

My big concern with this run is we get a limpet upper trough over the UK and all the cold air slides to our west and we end up with just a passing blow as it all filters SE.

Yep I think it's down to where the small us low, phased, with our trough, I knew it would not be quite right. That needs to be further south. Although I think the strength of the northeaster that help the high build, sent thing to far west.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold winters, hot summers

spacer.png

I like this a lot.... frontal zone pushed to the south, almost reaching Africa

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot, cold!

We shouldn’t be making the perfect the enemy of the good with this run, there is plenty of time for this to get better (or of course worse) in the medium range, but one thing is clear the Atlantic amplification is now more or less nailed on for 10 days time or so - what form it takes and who gets lucky with snow etc. - well that is a long way from sorted.  

• Like 7

Posted

Scandi high incoming.. 

If the vortex sets up there as others have alluded too I can't see it returning to Greenland any time soon. 

Another positive day in the hunt for cold gains traction. 

• Like 1

Posted
7 minutes ago, bluearmy said:

Whilst many won’t be happy with the evolution of that run days 9/13, it’s entirely within the ens envelope 

Its not the worst evolution though it definitely isn't as good as you'd expect at say 168hrs thanks to that lobe swinging through E.Canada between day 8-10. I don't think it will particularly stand out on the ensembles either, though there will be some runs that go far better I'm sure.

Still as long as we maintain some amplification out there we still stand a chance down the line. 

Posted
1 minute ago, chionomaniac said:

The last time I really remember that the destination was cold, but the path there was not sorted yet, was 2010.  Every run ended up very cold or close to it. Here’s hoping for a repeat

Indeed.

Let's get that ridge into play and see if MJO etc can give us a lift.....

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Southerly tracking LPs, heavy snow. Also 25c and calm

Another great run, different variation but it’s cold and getting colder....another day ticked off.  Hopefully will say the same come the weekend.  That’s some end to the 18z

BFTE

image.thumb.png.fd9f64e61fc410ef460110f80e7cfa41.png

BFTP

Edited by BLAST FROM THE PAST
  • Like 7

Posted

X rated ending!! Odds on Steve Murr coming back before the end of the week just shortened!

62FF431F-88FF-43F1-829A-8391190ADD3E.png

38274E08-7836-4DB5-AF8E-089178E29098.png

5F0920D8-0A02-470E-B966-853F77504813.png

Edited by Tim Bland
  • Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Frost and snow. A quiet autumn day is also good.
2 hours ago, sebastiaan1973 said:

Excellent update from EC46. Europe cold after Christmas.

20201214201338-4cb82d8a2410b3de5a8c6e6bf9c0086dc0a70bd0.png

20201214201350-f38fe0ebf9d524579c607f98e2feed71607ee901.png

20201214201404-c4049b0b14afa41d8c991ddc236e7509302fe53b.png

Got to be careful with anomaly charts....but nevertheless that’s a pretty good update and a bit unexpected to be honest into January. Food for thought. 

• Like 9

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Sun, Heat, Cold,T/storms via Spanish plumes *rare*

Different evolution to the 12z but we get the same result in the end- a pressure rise to the NE with winds off the continent. We dont see the toppling high over the Atlantic (like the 12z) ; more of a retreating one back to where it usually is (Azores). If you saw the first chart you wouldn’t be too impressed and one would think it’s a long way off cold but the flow buckles, with WAA to our north then moving heights over Scandinavia. As per my last post, it’s game on if we get energy underneath and the 18z did exactly that! 

One thing which has emerged from today is the theme to build heights to the NE and for us to be in a continental feed post Christmas time. I see it as quite bullish that the GFS wants to build pressure to the NE through different evolutions. It doesn’t know how we get the heights over Scandi but it’s signalling to us that pressure is likely to rise in that area after Christmas. 

7158FB73-582A-4CD3-9C32-79A2B130F3C0.png

047AB2FA-4A94-4089-BB20-CE41A5BCE70D.png

F9516E93-DE48-4DB4-B721-B4069C8FC993.png

82F0B61B-177C-4057-8FB9-7A4578014E80.png

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

Posted

What I have learnt EC46 is crap I’ve stopped paying attention to it, back in November it was going for a super blocked first half to December and not really diminishing though December. It seems to love opposing extremes. Mild or cold take your pick.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Frost and snow. A quiet autumn day is also good.

I’m a bit late to the party tonight, and while it is quite far out at day 9 I really like this chart.

image.thumb.png.2a6cb84c28c38e7a048e099f3e4b2d21.png

Deep low nudging into the North Pacific, signs again of our Ural High, and a definite ridge driving up towards Greenland. There has been a consistent signal for this at around 22/23 Dec 

image.thumb.png.74bd9d96065726ecd59a8fe0fa67859f.png

= strong pacific jet streak as momentum increases are felt. The timing here is pretty good. The Atlantic is already predisposed to potential blocking and along comes jet surge to reinforce high lat wave breaking. Bear in mind also what is happening in the strat - stronger than modelled hits on the vortex causing it not insignificant upset.

Game on. We didn’t get a break in time for 20th Dec but this is a happy path ahead....to see a move towards the same kind of solution so quickly after that missed opportunity. Not common in recent years as Chio has suggested. And looking at current strat forecasts for the extent of warming I’m starting to wonder if my 23rd January SSW guesstimate is a bit conservative. Might well come earlier....putting any cold impacts we might get (with a very large dose of finger crossing) into the true heart of our winter.

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Any kind of extremes. But the more snow the better.

Once again plenty of encouragement from the ensembles,so many wanting to push Heights further N/NW towards Greenland and Iceland, a fair amount of energy coming from the Western side of Greenland could erode Heights but thats just one possibility of many! In all honesty I'm very impressed with this output and it seems the outlook for once is at least offering some nice prizes..we have a ticket for the draw...1st place will be a jackpot outcome,but I reckon 2nd,3rd and 4th will be offering a decent payout also.

gens-4-1-252.png

gens-7-1-252.png

gens-9-1-252.png

gens-16-1-264.png

gens-17-1-264.png

gens-18-1-264.png

gens-19-1-264.png

gens-22-1-264.png

gens-27-1-264 (1).png

gens-29-1-264.png

Edited by MATTWOLVES
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in the Summer, cold and snowy in the winter, simples!

So the Op shows Beast from the East for New Year?

That provides a nice link into developments in GFS 18z FI mean which is interesting as it really strengthens the Siberian high and extends an E Russian ridge which could mean it is ready to influence Western European weather end Dec,  January.

gensnh-31-1-264.png

EDIT

I should have said it was a bit of a ramp post in advance and the timing is probably over optimistic but it looks like we are setting up for something from the East first half of Jan should the output continue on this track.

Edited by Mucka
  • Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm, bright summers and Cold, snowy winters

Some insane ensembles in there.. a lot of blocking and lots of different options.

MEAN

18z image.thumb.png.7cbe72224fa218f82dca967a6899e8a3.png vs 12z image.thumb.png.d4b9bbfb2087c5c77d0c5b6e408f6a11.png

• Like 2