Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model output discussion - Closing in on Christmas

Paul

Posted

This latest run is looking very good at 192, there looks to be a much bigger ridge forming compared to the 18z. Top image is the new run

C8462B01-1CF6-4248-97E4-A51E5621D9A4.png

141D05AB-26BC-4538-B74B-D6D7C16F91C2.png

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in the Summer, cold and snowy in the winter, simples!

gfsnh-0-240.png

That is certainly a nice Christmas day chart.

Edited by Mucka
  • Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in the Summer, cold and snowy in the winter, simples!
10 minutes ago, STRiZZY said:

The cold trend continues with the 0z 

It does on the Op but plenty of variation within the ensembles which suggests Christmas day cold is far from a lock in yet.

gensnh-31-1-252.pnggensnh-31-0-252.png

Always a worry when the scatter increases instead of firming up but within that scatter there are still some good outcomes, just more convoluted, along with the flatter mobile Westerly types.

Edited by Mucka
  • Like 5

Posted
2 minutes ago, Mucka said:

IT does on the Op but plenty of variation within the ensembles which suggests Christmas day cold is far from a lock in.

gensnh-31-1-252.png

Some interesting charts now showing. But as you say, it’s far from being nailed. 10 days is an eternity in terms of modelling!

• Like 2

Posted
9 minutes ago, Djdazzle said:

Some interesting charts now showing. But as you say, it’s far from being nailed. 10 days is an eternity in terms of modelling!

Yes it is and I'm sure the graph will show a higher mean temp for Christmas day than previous runs but just a footnote for now.

This will be an outlier but if something like this comes from a failed Northerly then I won't mind. 

gensnh-15-1-312.png

Edited by Mucka
  • Like 3

Posted
4 minutes ago, Decemberof2010 said:

As Mucka says quite a mixture in the ensembles, but I did find some that must be a sign, as it’s Christmas. 
We have 

Gold 

608F7D49-EED5-47EB-954B-53E4F90B0E92.png

Frankenstein

C2125933-417F-4E56-9E50-483A06F47278.png
And Murr

CBC37696-C87E-4F26-998D-26282C839224.png

Post of the year 2020, should be pinned! 

• Like 1

Posted

Bank!!!! If only. Verification stats for GFS at day 10, bang on I reckon...100%!!

Trend is good for something a little tasty around the Christmas period. Social distancing snow ball fight and snowmen making!!

1C60DAD0-CCF5-4124-965B-A8480E2B75C5.jpeg

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Dry mild or snow winter. Hot and humid summer.

T144 all 3. Enough difference here to say beyond is JFF.

9B5C1221-175A-4C13-9E40-FE34A3A15FF5.png

F5FCFD5B-7F4C-431A-885B-C5C320D790C9.gif

C0B6F24A-B207-4FBD-BC9D-EF63ABDF402E.png

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold winters, hot summers

Daaaaang son, that's close to a split...

However, that PV doesn't look healthy at all, we will see a lot of swinging in the models, soon....

spacer.pngspacer.png

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Dry mild or snow winter. Hot and humid summer.

Let’s see where ECM sits. This on Christmas Day would be of interest for more than a few.

9B4FB8A0-5763-4087-BFD0-B2758981BD4D.png

01EF69F6-6673-4EDB-B852-C72A9A37CA34.png

Posted

I think this would go onto developing a Scandi high but not a fan of this run. Interestingly there’s another burst of more substantial Atlantic amplification following in. 

42379B8E-F053-4D4A-B13F-8195414D11D4.thumb.png.80cc92b1a067bfc3ca925373c380538f.png

9082A770-A53A-43F5-9EBE-5FF4A8BE2876.thumb.png.dcfeeb8a7e30d2f6f4b7ec117ce0a168.png

Posted

Gfs and ukmo same at 144 hours!!ecm the odd one out with a slightly more round bowling ball low to the south west of the uk!!get that more elongated like the gfs/ukmo and bingo i dont think there will be a doubt but until then hold off!!funny it was gfs blowing it up yesterday and ecm looking like the gfs 00z of this morning but now its the other way around!!never clear cut always the hard route to cold here!!

• Like 2

Posted

Ummmm theme this morning on gfs and ecm in that both maintain a cold Christmas Day. However beyond that we seem to have backed away a tad from extending the cold, heights to north still there but look more prone to topple as pressure applied from vortex creeping into view to our north west.

image.thumb.png.852e9e802485131c469caa450a8376ba.png

• Like 2

Posted

If the ECM is closer to being correct with the failed and flatter ridge towards Greenland before Christmas,  then this would be yet another abject failure of the models, particularly the GFS to accurately model the energy leaving the US Eastern seaboard.

This is why I'm a jam tomorrow guy.

The ECM could be wrong of course, but once the downgrades start there's usually no way back.

As a positive,  Christmas looks seasonal with the chance of flurries of snow in the North over hills and mountains. 

• Like 1

Posted
8 minutes ago, mountain shadow said:

If the ECM is closer to being correct with the failed and flatter ridge towards Greenland before Christmas,  then this would be yet another abject failure of the models, particularly the GFS to accurately model the energy leaving the US Eastern seaboard.

This is why I'm a jam tomorrow guy.

The ECM could be wrong of course, but once the downgrades start there's usually no way back.

As a positive,  Christmas looks seasonal with the chance of flurries of snow in the North over hills and mountains. 

A failure  in modelling at day 10?

• Like 1

Posted
9 minutes ago, frosty ground said:

A failure  in modelling at day 10?

Sure, if it's ok to post about magical ops, controls, ensembles and means as has happened on here over the few days, then its surely ok to discuss when they fail?

Caveat that of course the ECM op may be wrong and I hope it is.

• Like 4

Posted
8 minutes ago, mountain shadow said:

Sure, if it's ok to post about magical ops, controls, ensembles and means as has happened on here over the few days, then its surely ok to discuss when they fail?

Not exactly when people post day 10 plus charts the usual carvers always apply no one says they are dead certs  the ensembles from all suits clearly showed this as a possible outcome so I don’t know how it can be a failure.

The midrange models picked up on a northerly around Xmas that may deliver a longer spell of cold weather and that’s still the case o would say that’s a success should a northerly happen on Xmas day.

Posted

Very few cold spells get to T+0 without major modelling dramas along the way. Clearly this will be no exception (and that’s assuming there will even be a cold spell at the end of course!).

As unscientific as it may seem, when so many Op runs churn out cold ,via relatively different routes, plus the ens are largely on board, it means we are in with a decent shout. I don’t see a memorable wintery nirvana emerging after Christmas Day but I do see a decent cold spell commencing at just the right time, with lots of potential thereafter.

Not much love for the ECM this morning, well it’s no Cobra meeting inducing filth fest for sure, but it appears to be very much along the same lines of recent output variations, and I quite like where it’s going (insert day 10 caveat), a very decent easterly could follow this.

3E0CDB86-C699-4138-8412-F89605779B18.thumb.png.bcdf0eb00f0e0a4f4146ec90d29d54c7.png

• Like 4

Posted

Don’t count on any mid Atlantic ridge at day 9/10 .... still very fluid how this pans out - also note the axis on the spread is northeast - so that’s a flattened ridge with the spread due to low heights  or an extension of the ridge ne with the spread due to high heights relative to the mean  

34E62274-B6A0-4FFA-90EB-B2AF25E838CB.thumb.jpeg.b346ac397e4492dee11a804194a4687f.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer > Spring > Winter > Autumn :-)

ECM Op was a bit aggressive with the low this morning. Longer range clusters are a bit of a mess too.

image.thumb.png.422b97e6234f8a10f36ef1e0ea029646.pngimage.thumb.png.96a5cdf9fd7c080b29074ef18b7c870c.pngimage.thumb.png.a60f25fb7459dc566a26e85ec08dbdf2.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
32 minutes ago, mountain shadow said:

But at 10 days ahead they haven’t failed 

• Like 1