Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussion - Into the new year

SMU
Message added by Paul,

Please stick to discussing the model output in this thread. For more general chat , please use the winter/cold weather/snow chat, banter, moans and ramps thread

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter synoptics.Hot summers.

Well if it isn't the grab the shovel run again....trends and all that

image.thumb.png.ba4b405b696a3c58cd3311422cb9b471.png

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything

Sharper Pacific  rolling-wave on the 06z which would be a great time to pop up during a HLB'ing phaze:

around d10> gfsnh-0-252.thumb.png.1a9a4488026343ce11c32372b4007a65.png

Would be a catalyst to aid a colder flow to our north.

• Like 2

Posted

GFSP shows the slower progression, and pushes things back a bit, I'd say equally valid and knowing our luck (imby not seen a single flake, not quite Winter's over / cancelled but caution advised etc, bah humbug) 

gfsnh-0-210 (1).png

gfsnh-1-216.png

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms,
8 minutes ago, blizzard81 said:

Problem is, as most of us know, the gfs 06z run is historically unreliable. I hope for once it is spot on here but I have my doubts unfortunately. 

I don't think that has a whole lot of basis anymore - Perhaps in the past, but not anymore. There's no discernible difference between any of GFS runs in terms of accuracy.

• Like 2

Posted
Just now, Met4Cast said:

I don't think that has a whole lot of basis anymore - Perhaps in the past, but not anymore. There's no discernible difference between any of GFS runs in terms of accuracy.

I do hope you are right there. The 06 mean shows a much better easterly too. I will reserve judgement until the 12z run though. The good thing is that we don't have much time to wait until we know for sure. This is at day 5 to 6 now. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: 30 Degrees of pure British Celsius

A load of shortwaves turn up on the 06z at 240z onwards closing the Arctic floodgates north of Scotland...always seems to be something. What are people's take on the ECM (vastly different) from the last few runs?

• Like 3

Posted
1 minute ago, Froze were the Days said:

A load of shortwaves turn up on the 06z at 240z onwards closing the Arctic floodgates north of Scotland...always seems to be something. What are people's take on the ECM (vastly different) from the last few runs?

With regards to the ecm, you just never know. It has been known to be the first model to latch onto something and be spot on. On the other hand, tonight's run could be completely different. Personally I haven't been impressed with the performance/accuracy of the ecm ops so far this season. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter synoptics.Hot summers.

06z high went on holiday too far = western based -nao

Al well into FI though

Edited by winterof79

Posted

I shall be ridiculed for posting this, but for a little bit of daftness and fun in FI, it seems GFSP allows the dream to live, which is all I need this morning after being screamed at by a 4 year old demanding his promised snow (whilst already asking Alexa "how long is it to Christmas, presumably 2021,) 

gfsnh-0-258 (1).png

Posted
7 minutes ago, blizzard81 said:

I do hope you are right there. The 06 mean shows a much better easterly too. I will reserve judgement until the 12z run though. The good thing is that we don't have much time to wait until we know for sure. This is at day 5 to 6 now. 

Marco did say last night that both the 6z and 18z have less inputted data than the 00z and 12z. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, Cold & Snowy

Anyone else finding that the ECM is becoming increasingly unreliable? We all joke about the GFS being the comedian but I've found it to be far more reliable (up to 10 days) than the ECM.

• Like 1

Posted
1 minute ago, ALL ABOARD said:

Marco did say last night that both the 6z and 18z have less inputted data than the 00z and 12z. 

I thought as much. Thanks for letting me know

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, cold, ice, frost, thundersnow,
1 minute ago, winterof79 said:

06z high went on holiday too far = western based -nao

Yup. Unlike the GFS18 last night, this finger of cold from the north went too far west into the Atlantic, the GH also went more west and weakened somewhat, and with low pressure moving in from the Atlantic it draws up southerly winds and milder weather for most.

Something to watch in the coming days, on:

a) if we get an area of cold from somewhere else in the NH, and

b) where exactly it goes and how this will affect the weather patterns in Europe and over the Atlantic

Of course this is far out, but if the trends continue on a colder air source getting closer to Europe/Atlantic Ocean it is something to watch.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow, heat, sunshine and thunderstorms. Anything severe.
5 minutes ago, Battleground Snow said:

The mean is MUCH better at 180 compared to the 00z run, the jet tracking much further south. Expect big swings ahead. Best guidance is to watch the EPS in my opinion for less drama in FI

Yes the mean looks like a stonker compared to the 00z FWIW. Both still good though.

00z:

C37B6890-8F7C-4012-B7F1-C57242EE1162.thumb.png.2135887a250556916777322c52c04826.png

06z:

5CE98A38-BF2A-4B14-B459-B4F5146485BA.thumb.png.d54c22678c7c876745652bc211c7d7d5.png

Edited by Frosty Winter
  • Like 4

Posted
5 minutes ago, Griff said:

I shall be ridiculed for posting this, but for a little bit of daftness and fun in FI, it seems GFSP allows the dream to live, which is all I need this morning after being screamed at by a 4 year old demanding his promised snow (whilst already asking Alexa "how long is it to Christmas, presumably 2021,) 

gfsnh-0-258 (1).png

Is it me or do these match up pretty well 

Screenshot_20201229-110323_Twitter.jpg

• Like 1

Posted
2 minutes ago, Howie said:

Is it me or do these match up pretty well 

Screenshot_20201229-110323_Twitter.jpg

Well just for fun it's showing this... 

So from this morning's runs ill keep the take away thought that neither terrible fi or proper fantasy have either happened yet or likely to...

gfsnh-0-294 (1).png

gfsnh-1-294 (1).png

Posted
4 minutes ago, feb1991blizzard said:

Can someone tell me what is the one thing that is great on the 6z GFS though??

Is the split back? 

Posted
1 minute ago, Griff said:

Well just for fun it's showing this... 

So from this morning's runs ill keep the take away thought that neither terrible fi or proper fantasy have either happened yet or likely to...

gfsnh-0-294 (1).png

gfsnh-1-294 (1).png

What I take from this is that we'd actually benefit from the slower evolution as the quicker evolution sends everything too Far west

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.
2 minutes ago, Lukesluckybunch said:

Do you not think it's good run then?

Overall no - The strat looked very good on the meteociel 10mb temperature charts but looking at the heights, still no big split unfortunately, saga to be continued though.

EDIT : getting there though right at end.

image.thumb.png.b72f2317d395290ca315555ee9f1a379.png

Edited by feb1991blizzard