Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussion - Into the new year

SMU
Message added by Paul,

Please stick to discussing the model output in this thread. For more general chat , please use the winter/cold weather/snow chat, banter, moans and ramps thread

Posted

in 15 years of lurking around this forum i'm a little bewildered by what i'm seeing at present. On the face of it some of the charts look spectacular, high pressure to the north and an obvious E/NE fetch. For us up here on the north east coast first glance would indicate a snow fest. Very rare we've been able to enjoy models like this and some charts seem extremely rare. Close inspection reveals that the cold isn't quite there at present though and this morning we have rain, even the amazing 06z shows milder sectors wrapped in the low that descends late on and conditions again look marginal. Could be climate change or just bad luck i guess - strange days

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Posted
12 minutes ago, Eskimo said:

Anyone else finding that the ECM is becoming increasingly unreliable? We all joke about the GFS being the comedian but I've found it to be far more reliable (up to 10 days) than the ECM.

Did post this a couple of days ago but here’s the GFS chart for 31st 19:00 from 16th Dec. There are some obvious differences to today’s 06z for the same day and time but overall in terms of ‘broad mesoscale pattern’, pretty impressive, I’d say. 
And yes, I’m aware the 31st hasn’t happened yet! 

DC85EC51-AF4E-4434-9452-340DD2224798.png

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: blizzard conditions. ice days

Snow boarding and anti freeze -bbqs and shorts on 6z full run .. I love this rollercoaster

Edited by tight isobar
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

Barbecues out lads, we're in for a mid-winter sizzler... I can't wait for the Daily Express's next headline!:drunk-emoji:

h500slp.png    h850t850eu.png

But seriously, peeps, the reason I post these 'fag-end' charts is twofold: 1) they're even less likely to verify than I'm about to win the Lottery -- without having bought a ticket; and 2) we really do have zero 'options' -- the weather will do what it does irrespective of what models/experts might say!

PS: I knew you'd love this chart, Fred ( @BLAST FROM THE PAST)!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm, bright summers and Cold, snowy winters
7 minutes ago, Tim Bland said:

GFS & GFS(p) in FI give me a bad feeling....

560B743D-4D22-4F40-BECC-F053A30DC753.png

A7B098C4-7012-44A7-9529-1F3CCCE80B0C.png

We loose low heights to the south and that is our destiny. We cannot allow heights to rise there or we’re looking at a warm SWly feed.  

• Like 2

Posted

You do see a danger of w -NAO on EPS albeit far into FI therefore don’t make much of it. Continued signal for wider Europe to cool... northerly Arctic air perhaps favoured.

4DAE7CBE-7024-4773-B2A0-9835F930F8E6.thumb.gif.50aaa91abcb4f29493605d3416b39587.gif

• Thanks 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything

gefs at d10:

gens_panel_dvk2.png

As you were per 0z, lots of entropy as to how the wedge of northern heights interacts with the rest of the players, so little help. The op just being shuffled within the pack so expect another card on the 12z. As the trop is leading, we are at its whim, and the models will struggle with the ebb and flow especially in the Atlantic sector.

Still looking like below average temps for the next 7-10 days but nothing dramatic in terms of cold or snow, but some of us should see the white stuff with a bit of luck! Not sure what happens next...

• Like 1

Posted

ECM ensembles are all over the place out to 240hrs, there really isn't a huge amount of support for any solution in particular. If anything there does develop stronger agreement lat into the run for a more +ve NAO developing but that really can't be depended upon given how the stuff before hand is very up in the air.

GFS ensembles on the 06z look a little more in agreement. There is a definate trend to towards LP attacking from the SW which at the least we will see some warmer air try to come up from the south, but lots of time for that to shift around.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish Plumes, Blizzards, Severe Frosts :-)

In a normal British winter we (coldies) would be desperately looking at T+372 hours for any hints of cold but in this case, it’s the depths of low res hinting at mild..and just for fun I’ve included the wet bulb and snow risk charts for that timeframe!..anyway, enough of that nonsense, there’s plenty of cold weather to look forward to.,as long as you like cold?..have a great Tuesday gang!:reindeer-emoji:

3EAF70A9-EA83-424C-A2D4-CDC6555A1185.thumb.png.387fc063ee846fff4d2387e9a0d804d9.pngF3627364-7C13-458E-B4ED-A4E8BCCAB243.thumb.png.8423d4951ecbc6f6bb19a6b4cabe482e.png33155A31-9478-4F47-9E08-5365A1005172.thumb.png.cfd64653d40a370eac2a851945948676.png

• Like 3

Posted
10 minutes ago, bluearmy said:

The para takes one from the top shelf for its 00z run and one from the bottom for the 06z .....

And our trusty MetO one from the middle. I know where my money would be... 

• Like 1

Posted

i  know its cherry picking  we should all be going back to work on the 4 Th   its looking interesting to say  the least

gfs-2-144.png

• Like 2

Posted
7 minutes ago, Daniel* said:

You do see a danger of w -NAO on EPS albeit far into FI therefore don’t make much of it. Continued signal for wider Europe to cool... northerly Arctic air perhaps favoured.

4DAE7CBE-7024-4773-B2A0-9835F930F8E6.thumb.gif.50aaa91abcb4f29493605d3416b39587.gif

Thankfully a long way off so plenty of time for that to change. The most striking thing by far on that simulation is the amazing positive temp anomalies over the north eastern US and Canada. Almost unheard of. 

• Like 2

Posted

Those ridiculous ecm snow charts from ecm 12z seem to have dissapeared this morning?these kinda little shortwaves normally trend south so its no surprise!!thursday friday more snow chances in the north and west!!

• Like 1

Posted

Ok so Wednesday will looks *highly* uncertain. 

On the face of it the nodels have reshifted back south again, and has sped up. Both things are obviously bad for snow chances.

However the GFS ensembles on the 06z are basically all giving S.England some snow (might 1-2 runs that go south). The ECM ensembles also have a fairly decent percent that give some snow to at least the far south. ICON 06z also giving some snow to the far soth as well. Meanwhile Euro4 still remains totally on the southern edge of the suite for where it goes, so much to see.

Its highly likely to come down to a nowcasting situation. I agree with others who say these things usually trend south, but it does remain to be seen...

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Beginning with S ending with W ;)
5 minutes ago, Met4Cast said:

If we wouldn't take a day 16 cold GFS chart seriously.. why are we taking a day 16 mild chart seriously? Worth noting the GFS wont be including impacts from the SSW yet, the GFS strat is essentially a different model to the GFS trop and they don't "connect" until downwelling begins to occur. 

On top of the the strat warming with the GFS. With the warming now likely to occur within next 5-7days still disagreement between GFS and ECM/JMA. Further to this, Simon Lee on twitter tweeted some thoughts on this. Should the GFS have the strat warming wrong would the current GFS runs (including last night) be wrong too?

Edited by Bullseye
  • Like 1

Posted
4 minutes ago, Daniel* said:

I’m confused as well @Man With Beard it’s the case of people misunderstanding fiction from reality, there’s been no indication of significant cold spell imminent this week we have a maritime Pm influence currently with deeply low geopotential heights, and slack flows making things not as marginal, as always expected a marginal affair people are kidding themselves if they got indication it would be otherwise with widespread powder snow, and when you consider with -3°C 850hPa temps a fair chunk of country is doing bloody good with cold/snow considering.

People confuse discussions/descriptions of model output with forecasts they often miss out on the small details which are often important to depth of cold and snow, but getting the broad pattern is always critically important first and in that regard the model output has looked very encouraging, this is what gets the excitement. Just seeing cold charts like this are a novelty.

We have charts like this, within this week and they are very cold charts indeed, cold NE’ly, not chilly, for us in the east much greater interests to be had late this week into next. 

FB38BC6E-0CFF-4B8A-830E-8AA3EBE2B96F.thumb.png.1204709666e0b938423c21f5c26b6570.png