Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussion - Staying cold into the new year

Message added by Paul,

Please stick to discussing the model output in this thread. For more general chat , please use the winter/cold weather/snow chat, banter, moans and ramps thread

For local cold/snow and weather related chat, please head over to the Regional Area.

Posted

Is there anything that could change at such short notice to improve the uppers by a couple points - there is no cold upstream that we might have had option to tap into this time.. how are colder uppers made, can they happen in situ as such and the models are not seeing that..

we just so darn close to a decent set up, I’m looking for anything to squeeze just a little more..

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot, cold!
1 minute ago, TSNWK said:

Is there anything that could change at such short notice to improve the uppers by a couple points - there is no cold upstream that we might have had option to tap into this time.. how are colder uppers made, can they happen in situ as such and the models are not seeing that..

we just so darn close to a decent set up, I’m looking for anything to squeeze just a little more..

Well you could leave your fridge door open ❄️

Edited by Mike Poole
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Very Cold, Very Snowy
1 minute ago, TSNWK said:

Yes they can cool in situ and this may be the shortest route to improve marginality. 

• Like 1

Posted
5 minutes ago, Mike Poole said:

North sure whether we are all on the same page with this, so to be clear I’m on the long term cold page rather than the immediate snow page, and ECM T144 looks to be following the UKMO here:

8AFEB0B4-8A01-4E7A-893E-4C59EA7F7104.thumb.png.aa23156a086c9f55014194c58c3db40e.png

I’m looking forward to see where this goes, vortex decimation is likely but only the start.  

My worry is the upper high sets-up too far west and therefore we end up with a flabby upper low dropping south somewhere to our north-west as the PV basically starts to fall apart.

That forces any nascent ridging that may try to form over the Atlantic southwards and we end up with a position seen in quite a few ensembles in recent days, with a flabby Atlantic low either to our west or north-west, higher pressure around Europe and a mean W/SW flow. You can have the most impressive upper pattern out there in the Arctic but if that sets up shop your in for a mighty struggle to dislodge it, especially with zonal winds now so low and little to shift the pattern once it sets in.

In a way I'm worried the SSW is actually going to prematurely kick us out what was morphing into a great set-up.

EDIT - we will likely get away with it for a time on the 12z ECM, but how long that holds?

Edited by kold weather

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, snow, ice. Very hot or very cold.
29 minutes ago, Singularity said:

image.thumb.png.6b34478d3b34027797dd74f5050c9d46.pngimage.thumb.png.ec85f3c70983f6e35834fb53e3ff9e44.pngimage.thumb.png.726d946cc70d533c4982d090c780b3a3.png
Something else to consider - GEFS forecast some MJO activity in phases 3-4 starting this weekend. That may be why we've seen a shift by them toward outcomes that don't position the ridge to our east very well - the phase 3 composite is a bit 'saggy bottomed' - and then develop a broad trough too close to our west.

EPS have no MJO activity to begin with.

25 minutes ago, bluearmy said:

Eps day 15 aren’t a million miles away from the phase 4 ........

The removal of heights in Russia and in the Atlantic would be quite a change, IF this would happen.

• Like 2

Posted
6 minutes ago, TSNWK said:

Yes, we just need the air to be source md from direct east or north east. If you follow the isobars the air is currently sourced from Southern Europe...we want it central or East Europe. As Steve says only a slight change needed to put us in the game. At the moment I’m thinking sleet / rain under 100m and within 50 miles of coast. Elsewhere it’s too close to call ...prob snow if showers are heavy enough. 

4FE6A596-9560-4C32-A069-C99C16DBEF5D.jpeg

8A8B724E-7BF8-440B-8C34-2CEBA9767638.jpeg

Edited by Tim Bland
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: heavy convective snow showers, blizzards, 30C sunshine
1 minute ago, Ali1977 said:

Anyone not loving this as a coldie needs their heads read , cold easterlies with -6/7 uppers - late Dec . No real sign of a breakdown and a SSW imminent . Yes it’s no beast from the east and not all will get snow, but most are getting harsh frosts and it’s better than wind and rain from the SW.

Everyone would have took this chart a few weeks back

AC459D84-7EA0-404C-9E07-EB37CEAA7B9B.png

The thing I like about that chart is the vortex and the cold draining out of Canada and the CONUS and transferring to the Eastern hemisphere. I do believe we are onto something very special this winter. 

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme!
13 minutes ago, ICE COLD said:

T96 looking pretty tasty shaky

B1CB66FF-B5DC-4719-B8CD-52E05D225C59.png

A6E531F9-D0D6-46E6-9C6E-E313CA41069A.png

I know we are getting a lot of talk about 850s not being cold enough for convective snowfall from the North Sea, this is mainly for those in the south east (lots of people live there obviously lol). However for the rest of us surely these sort of 850 temps will be perfectly adequate for inland snowfall!

Of course we will need troughs and features to produce the ppn, but if that happens (and the EC looks quite kinky, with the high well north) then it looks potentially white rather than wet for many inland. 

We have seen some snow this week, although a bit slushy, and that has been from polar maritime airmass with 850s of -3C, surely an easterly airmass with 850s of -7-8C  will do the job. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Posted
3 minutes ago, TSNWK said:

Dont think so.

The lack of proper cold uppers when we have amazing synoptics is the story of the winter so far.

I for one have been in a Northerly airstream for 4 or 5 days and the precipitation has been rain apart from one brief spell. 

If we can get a proper Northerly in 8-14 days time, and this looks possible,  we may all benefit.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: the weather extremes in general but my favourites are snow & thunderstorms

I think we are reading things too deeply with every single model and chart tbh, it’s all heading in the right direction especially if we only look upto 144 which I’d say is more than far enough. It’s cold with some wintry weather around which is a godsend after the last few winters for many of us

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Posted

12z ECM at 168hrs is light years away from the 12z GFS it has to be said.

Hopefully the driver low forming at 168hrs doesn't get stuck like it did on the 12z GEM which brough about a premature end to any cold set-up, and that it can get far enough south to give a length cold shot.

• Like 2

Posted

So ecm has precip across se england from day 5 to day 7. Uppers vary between -4 and -7. Lowest thicknesses only 526dam.  Not a flake 

that’s directed at those posters who think it’s only about the uppers and that -5/-7 with a flow off the n sea will deliver snowfall ....its way more complicated than that 

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: blizzard conditions. ice days

I’m loving this ec run.. and the unorganised cell tinkering @greenland point.. creating a swerve flow... honestly we are going places . @ repercussions inbound!!!

6E6F62AC-2665-4BAE-8B4A-6CF13BCB865E.gif

59D2FC25-592C-46C4-8F5D-219ED51E80D3.gif

• Like 4