Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussion - Staying cold into the new year

Message added by Paul,

Please stick to discussing the model output in this thread. For more general chat , please use the winter/cold weather/snow chat, banter, moans and ramps thread

For local cold/snow and weather related chat, please head over to the Regional Area.

11 minutes ago, Kentspur said:

With better wintry precip potential (less southerly sourced air flow prior to this timeframe) lessening the mixing out of the cold over us?

There is definitely wintry potential from the easterly. Uppers seem to have been resolved to slightly colder values.

The evolution beyond 160h on the GFS is very good, although not bfte level. Hopefully this is not misinterpreted as a poor run. Ultimately the GFS will have it's own ideas, whilst retaining consistency for sharp retrogression & trough disruption around D7. This route now highly supported, and would most likely produce very wintry surface conditions.

Edited by Kasim Awan
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

My interpretation of this is that it is extremely good. Almost a complete zonal reversal at the surface through the Atlantic Northern Hemisphere. The GFS has bias for Azores energy so this may be overdone, however in the model bias logic it has more credibility with Greenland retrogression so it's support for the retrogression is valued.

gfs-0-246 (1).png

Edited by Kasim Awan
  • Like 5

Posted
5 minutes ago, Kasim Awan said:

My interpretation of this is that it is extremely good. Almost a complete zonal reversal at the surface through the Atlantic Northern Hemisphere. The GFS has bias for Azores energy so this may be overdone, however in the model bias logic it has more credibility with Greenland retrogression so it's support is valued.

gfs-0-246 (1).png

There's been quite a signal to build Iberian heights, I hope that's completely wrong 

17 minutes ago, Howie said:

There's been quite a signal to build Iberian heights, I hope that's completely wrong 

It's because the retrogression to Greenland here is not very optimal & keeps too much HP over Iberia. It a limiting factor somewhat, however I'd probably guage that given the great background signal, a trend for this to undergo more optimal retrogression in new output is possible.

Edited by Kasim Awan

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow Frost Fog Thunderstorms
8 minutes ago, londonblizzard said:

Slightly colder uppers for next week's easterly in the 0z.

Things then get pretty ridic :

h850t850eu.png

prectypeuktopo.png

That will be the SSW finally coming into the models which is also showing a perfect split wether or not that happens is a different question don’t expect anything to be too excited about until around the 9th of January onwards 

Edited by Mr snowman 2018
Spelling mistake
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Dry mild or snow winter. Hot and humid summer.

JFF. 

4CC731AC-A846-4102-844C-FDD87FA55E43.png

61230D8A-BB71-4711-BD9A-7F29EAA9370E.png

11214B5B-73DB-4C40-B7B6-DCD9FCEA0B17.png

Edited by That ECM
  • Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold ,snow

Morning. Seems a bit subdued on here looking at the threads. Looking across the board it does seem a complicated outlook esp period post 144hr.in the reliable the snow chances seem to be more restricted to high ground on the latest forecast. Bit confused tbh but to me all looks up for grabs

• Like 6

Posted

What a chart from ECM day 9! Strong negative AO, and whos nicked the vortex? Whilst specifics will change, the sypnotic pattern is stunning! Day 10 also a belter, even has some 'exceptionally cold' air on our doorstep! 

ECMOPEU00_216_1-2.png

ECMOPEU00_240_1-2.png

Edited by KTtom
  • Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold ,snow

Ec looks pretty good to me. Blocking to the north and west, good 850s and low pressure sinking over UK

• Like 4

Posted

ECM ends on a great Day 10, and the days following this would only get better

spacer.png

The frustration is that once again we are chasing the really good stuff at Day 9/10 while the short and medium term becomes more diluted and less interesting. And we all know Day 9/10 is highly likely to change before we get anywhere near it. That being said, it's great to have something like this to chase!

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Dry mild or snow winter. Hot and humid summer.
1 minute ago, radiohead said:

ECM ends on a great Day 10, and the days following this would only get better

spacer.png

The frustration is that once again we are chasing the really good stuff at Day 9/10 while the short and medium term becomes more diluted and less interesting. And we all know Day 9/10 is highly likely to change before we get anywhere near it. That being said, it's great to have something like this to chase!

At T144 we are seeing some similarities in the output. IF this continues then the rest will follow. Interest has gone up a notch or two for me. 

• Like 3

Posted

indeed i think the ‘cold’ interest in next weeks is done, it will be slightly colder than average, with a bit of wintryness.

It seems day 9ish onward is where any deep cold COULD lie, ecm makes for interesting viewing if it’s cold you want in the latter stages.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and Snow -20 would be nice :)
14 minutes ago, swfc said:

Ec looks pretty good to me. Blocking to the north and west, good 850s and low pressure sinking over UK

Blocking to the north.....you ain’t wrong there

image.thumb.png.dc30353e0798c80f1f387f15a36dee14.png

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow, heat, sunshine and thunderstorms. Anything severe.

ECM at day 10 is easily my favourite chart of the morning, what a stonker! Albeit at day 10 but at least there seems to be more consistency between the models on the general evolution this morning. We would’ve done anything for charts remotely similar to this last year so here’s hoping.

5397682B-F1DD-4530-8267-B6C364AEFAF1.thumb.png.b60731e6865ed54016136a31334be2da.pngE43FA43F-BDA8-41D1-A8E9-572CE16F1EC0.thumb.png.93f70c1d4581094d0187c25f7c50b9aa.png

Edited by Frosty Winter
  • Like 4

Posted
17 minutes ago, CreweCold said:

Models seem to be converging around days 8/9 now. 

Trop looks like it's going into reversal mode

hi crewecold is that good use for us ? 

19 minutes ago, CreweCold said:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow Frost Fog Thunderstorms

Just to say this is the stratosphere at the moment as you can see it’s in its SSW phase and most models now are pointing something significant wise from around the 9th/10th of January which would be correct as the SSW has around a 10 day lag before its effects are felt in the UK also interesting to note later on in the run the polar vortex splits in 2 which can be very good for us coldies! The charts from now should get more interesting from each passing day a fascinating few days of model watching coming up !

1112507E-F1C5-46BB-9D97-EBF3C456AD36.png

• Like 2