Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

North West Regional Discussion 30 December 2020 onwards

cheshire snow

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow
39 minutes ago, chris78 said:

Its also two days away for the people who are expecting snow, we cant have it both ways, if its ok to get exited about snow a few days away its surely ok to be sceptical too.

Of course its two days away and can change, but very few people say that when anyone is getting exited.    Some people are always really hopeful some people always very cautious, there is room for both.

I think a level of hope in the regional thread is more favoured than necessarily the strict scientific nature of the model thread.

We know @SP1986 will never see lieing snow in his lifetime and the models agree with that but we all have a level of hope for him.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer heat and winter cold, and a bit of snow when on offer
3 minutes ago, Day 10 said:

You will come through it mate.

It just shows the difficulty in gauging whether you have this thing or not.

my temperature is taken every day at work and has been normal throughout.

I have had a bit of a cough but nothing I’d have given a second thought to in normal times and the headache and sore throat I now have would just pass off as a cold but the thing that started this path to a test was a strong taste and smell in my mouth and nose which I can only describe as being like ammonia.

I looked this up online and it is a potential sign of Kidney issues, something I was laid up with last summer so calling the doctors and ending up with a positive test really came on the back of worries about something else.

anyway thanks to you all for your best wishes and for me it’s 10 days self isolation hopefully looking at snow falling heavily outside and all being well being fit enough to at least get as far as the top of the drive or back garden.

• Like 7

Posted
9 minutes ago, pip22 said:

Oh well. Wait till next week then.

BBC have it here, but that probably will change, but mmm met office not performed very well at all recently weather warnings, so who to believe, nowcast as ever.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: warm, humid, thundery. Winter: mild, stormy, some snow.
1 minute ago, Ramp said:

I think a level of hope in the regional thread is more favoured than necessarily the strict scientific nature of the model thread.

We know @SP1986 will never see lieing snow in his lifetime and the models agree with that but we all have a level of hope for him.

Atrocious behaviour fear not! I will see snow! When Day10 comes through with that new snow machine he was suggesting!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Posted
2 minutes ago, Ramp said:

Preston isnt far behind for snowlessness, although to be fair we have twice had a dusting this year...never a good coverage, but that is incredibly rare here and always has been I think.

• Like 2

Posted
4 minutes ago, damianslaw said:

BBC have it here, but that probably will change, but mmm met office not performed very well at all recently weather warnings, so who to believe, nowcast as ever.

Have they not been about right, its seems lie they have here.

Posted
1 hour ago, Dkeane3 said:

Perhaps the metO know the SE wind will have quite a shadow effect here

I’d be surprised if that’s a consideration  to be honest, the surface winds at least are extremely light, only 4 mph. Near enough as calm as can be on Sunday.

Edited by Joe Bloggs
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, SP1986 said:

Our icons are a little less of snow.. mixed with sleet. Must be more marginal on the west side. Which I suppose it would be if there is a WNW wind. 

One thing I've noted about these shower scenarios at the coast is that relative height doesn't actually matter as much... 

I recall having rain at 100m ASL whilst further inland at 15m ASL they had snow.

yeh Ive seen that also - I think its a case of the air mixing and modifying as it interacts with land mass.  it means  we often see a right hodge podge of weather types here, but by the time it reaches Chester that has resolved itself and its now falling as big fat snowflakes.  We very rarely see that setup which is frustrating.

Ill be surprised if we see anything more than hail over the weekend

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - snow, Irish sea convection. Summer - thunderstorms, hot sunny days
9 minutes ago, Frosty the Snowman said:

Heavy sleet here, was briefly ice pellets and briefly snow. 

Game on. 

Where are you?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: warm, humid, thundery. Winter: mild, stormy, some snow.
8 minutes ago, russwirral said:

yeh Ive seen that also - I think its a case of the air mixing and modifying as it interacts with land mass.  it means  we often see a right hodge podge of weather types here, but by the time it reaches Chester that has resolved itself and its now falling as big fat snowflakes.  We very rarely see that setup which is frustrating.

Ill be surprised if we see anything more than hail over the weekend

If it's unstable it'll be hail. Snow is better where the atmosphere is less volatile... But on the other hand the existence of hail means possible storm activity? 

• Like 2

Posted
31 minutes ago, Paul90 said:

We are under a yellow from 4, we weren't the other night and got plastered, i'm expecting nowt to be honest.

It will take a lot to beat Wednesday's snow spell for sure. Doesn't look like it will hang around for long

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow & Thunderstorms
42 minutes ago, SP1986 said:

Atrocious behaviour fear not! I will see snow! When Day10 comes through with that new snow machine he was suggesting!

I will turn it on in June to confuse the hell out of everybody.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow & Thunderstorms
47 minutes ago, iand61 said:

It just shows the difficulty in gauging whether you have this thing or not.

my temperature is taken every day at work and has been normal throughout.

I have had a bit of a cough but nothing I’d have given a second thought to in normal times and the headache and sore throat I now have would just pass off as a cold but the thing that started this path to a test was a strong taste and smell in my mouth and nose which I can only describe as being like ammonia.

I looked this up online and it is a potential sign of Kidney issues, something I was laid up with last summer so calling the doctors and ending up with a positive test really came on the back of worries about something else.

anyway thanks to you all for your best wishes and for me it’s 10 days self isolation hopefully looking at snow falling heavily outside and all being well being fit enough to at least get as far as the top of the drive or back garden.

We both didn't have a temperature at any time despite being pretty ill. This new variant does seem to affect people in very different ways.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer heat and winter cold, and a bit of snow when on offer
6 minutes ago, Day 10 said:

We both didn't have a temperature at any time despite being pretty ill. This new variant does seem to affect people in very different ways.

That’s something I never considered until you just mentioned it, whether I’ve got the old version or the new one.

pretty sure the result doesn’t tell you either way.

Posted

Just a quick look at tomorrow's charts - still looks decent hopefully will get something, a bit concerned current update has moved the bulk of streamers south, hope it corrects north again.

image.thumb.png.88a8c9b2f3051839f23bf6c98b57d444.pngimage.thumb.png.fa7e7fae3c7fec55b6eec19fb2d92984.pngimage.thumb.png.1b24cb840b3b828786a084d3314152df.pngimage.thumb.png.a2f556133a1419054667173994cbd63a.png

Couple of charts below for Sunday.. UKV current run not so great as it seems to push too far West before making it to us.. NetWx-MR looks decent.

Still plenty of updates left so not to concerned yet. 

image.thumb.png.f8b1a6429658160cc1162ddb311a2be7.pngimage.thumb.png.9a7c57b5646d759cc73f6947197768ba.png

Edited by SnowWatcher2
  • Like 2

Posted

The met really are downplaying Sunday's chances of snow up here. Their online video forecast for the weekend barely shows snow into the Midlands. Very much a dying, sliding feature for the SW. Looks a decent sunny winters day up here.