Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

North West Regional Discussion 30 December 2020 onwards

cheshire snow

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - snow, Irish sea convection. Summer - thunderstorms, hot sunny days
12 minutes ago, WillinGlossop said:

8c fog vile bring back the cold 

12 minutes ago, WillinGlossop said:

8c fog vile bring back the cold 

This isn’t I’m a celebrity you know? ... there is nicer food available.
Oh spoilsport you edited it!

Edited by Chris.R
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow & Thunderstorms
6 minutes ago, itsnowjoke said:

Damp morning 

Sun is trying here

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, icy, snowy etc

6ºC here and a proper pea souper... 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

8CFAF757-96C4-486B-B14F-DE3CFCE5933A.thumb.png.fe4cea6ab5ad916ed0bf73c799a6c0c1.png

I can’t watch another Midlands event. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold/snow winter, Warm/hot summer, Thunderstorms, Severe Gales

Mental how many times the midlands end up copping these slider/battleground snow events, its not a new thing either, theyve always done the best in these situations. Annoying.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: All
15 minutes ago, I Cumbria Marra I said:

Mental how many times the midlands end up copping these slider/battleground snow events, its not a new thing either, theyve always done the best in these situations. Annoying.

Technically, @Had Worse, @WillinGlossop and @SNOW_JOKE are in the East Midlands and the sliders have missed us 9 out of 10 times. The latest was last Sunday.  37 miles away in Ashbourne, and 55 miles away in Derby, they had 5-6" of the white stuff. We had about 5 or 6 flakes.

Edited by Had Worse
spelling
  • Like 2

Posted

In the snow warning for tomorrow, but most likely a high ground event as happened yesterday. Might see some wet snowflakes. This is becoming a frustrating winter here, so many near misses of possible heavy snowfalls, when synoptics are right just wrong side of marginal it seems.

When we have cold air in place synoptics not good for here I.e. fronts are always somewhere else!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold/snow winter, Warm/hot summer, Thunderstorms, Severe Gales
37 minutes ago, Had Worse said:

Technically, @Had Worse, @WillinGlossop and @SNOW_JOKE are in the East Midlands and the sliders have missed us 9 out of 10 times. The latest was last Sunday.  37 miles away in Ashbourne, and 55 miles away in Derby, they had 5-6" of the white stuff. We had about 5 or 6 flakes.

Ok, not all of the midlands but the area i've circled in the map.

20210127_114714.jpg

Posted
4 minutes ago, I Cumbria Marra I said:

20210127_114714.jpgThe West Midlands

Posted
6 minutes ago, I Cumbria Marra I said:

20210127_114714.jpg

Your snow totals make some depressing read in your signature. How the hell did you manage less than 10cm in 09/10, 10/11 and 12/13 

Posted
6 minutes ago, Frosty the Snowman said:

Your snow totals make some depressing read in your signature. How the hell did you manage less than 10cm in 09/10, 10/11 and 12/13 

I have lived in Preston since 1998, there has never been more than /3 cm in that time........09/10 close y may have had more but not in the centre of town.

I am 42 years old most of that time in Liverpool or Preston, I dont think I have ever seen anything like a foot of snow, if I have it must have been when i was very young)

(it is possible im forgetting a bigger fall, or was away during one but i dont think so.)

• Like 1

Posted
1 hour ago, I Cumbria Marra I said:

It's so frustrating. I'd probably not move down there on account of it as we tend to get more snow in general play as it were, but they do seem to a) get deeper snow when they do get a good event and b) do really well with these sort of events.

It feels crappy to moan when we've had the snowiest month I can remember since moving here, or actually since 2010/11 anywhere I've lived, but that 6-8 inch+ snow fall - which is what I class as a significant event, just seems to allude us.  

Posted
3 minutes ago, chris78 said:

I have lived in Preston since 1998, there has never been more than /3 cm in that time........09/10 close y may have had more but not in the centre of town.

I am 42 years old most of that time in Liverpool or Preston, I dont think I have ever seen anything like a foot of snow, if I have it must have been when i was very young)

(it is possible im forgetting a bigger fall, or was away during one but i dont think so.)

I'd have moved to Blackburn by now if I  was you....  I've only been here a few years, and seen 4-6 inches several times.

I was in the North East for 2009/10 and 2010/11 - both of which were knocking on or over a foot of snow, 2013 was less impressive over there but still a decent fall. 

Edited by Frosty the Snowman

4 minutes ago, Frosty the Snowman said:

I'd have moved to Blackburn by now if I  was you....  I've only been here a few years, and seen 4-6 inches several times.

I was in the North East for 2009/10 and 2010/11 - both of which were knocking on or over a foot of snow, 2013 was less impressive over there but still a decent fall. 

The Wirral is the same, have no issues with rain amounts, as last week would attest.  But snow amounts very rarely get above say 2-3cm

In my lifetime (nearly 40 yrs) I can remember say 2-3 times where snow amounts went to nearly 6 inches.  I think i remember once where it went to 6.  it snow all evening , night and the next day.  I think that was 1995.

but since 1998 I think weve seen 1-2 10cm falls.  2010 and 2013 provided about 4 or 5 cm, if that.  We always seem to be near the event never the epicentre when it comes to snow.  I live near Bromborough and evenrecently have seen coastal areas like west kirby get proper thick snow and we still get 1-2 cm.

Last week with the snowfall from the big rain event (last wed) literally 5km away in Ellesmere port had 3-4cm of snow.  we got some slush on some cars - not on mine.

• Like 2

Posted

Goes to prove that things shrink as you get older.

• Like 2

Posted
1 hour ago, I Cumbria Marra I said:

I remember ‘battle ground’ snow and transient snow to rain events at the end of a frosty period being a regular thing when I was a kid (90s). But now like you say they always miss us to the south. They always start off as looking like they’ll effect us and then a day or two out it’ll end up being shunted south. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, icy, snowy etc
25 minutes ago, chris78 said:

Depends where in Preston too (coves a large area)

We've had some thick snow here in Walton le Dale (I'm Cuerdale Lane way) and it had some serious snow 2009-2011 and in 2018 too

But more towards the town centre it can get very little; seems it never likes crossing the Ribble

• Like 1

Posted
29 minutes ago, Frosty the Snowman said:

Just too sheltered from every direction except the west but how many times do you get snow let alone significant snow from the west? Being very close to coast its almost never. We were lucky to even get 7cm in 2010 as a trough came up from around grimsby area and somehow made it here over the pennines and cumbrian fells, apart from that 2 hour snowfall we had very, very little snow. January 2013 we had 8cm from a snow to rain event so didnt even last 24 hours, March 2013 not even a dusting but south cumbria got buried down to sea level. Probably have to live here to believe how bad it is for snow.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - snow, Irish sea convection. Summer - thunderstorms, hot sunny days

17th December 2010 had just under 1 foot of snow here, (well not here, in Crosby.) That was the most I’ve ever seen in my life; i’m 26 now. 

Next biggest amount is around 10 cm which i’ve had on several occasions. 23rd Dec 2009; loads of times in 2013; 8th March 2018 etc.

• Like 3

Posted
28 minutes ago, I Cumbria Marra I said:

Just too sheltered from every direction except the west but how many times do you get snow let alone significant snow from the west? Being very close to coast its almost never. We were lucky to even get 7cm in 2010 as a trough came up from around grimsby area and somehow made it here over the pennines and cumbrian fells, apart from that 2 hour snowfall we had very, very little snow. January 2013 we had 8cm from a snow to rain event so didnt even last 24 hours, March 2013 not even a dusting but south cumbria got buried down to sea level. Probably have to live here to believe how bad it is for snow.

I've said before Cumbria is a microcosm of variance and has it's own unique micro climate. The coastal and lowland north, west and south fringes tend to do poorly snowfall wise, but you only have to head about 10 miles inland and thanks to the high ground snowfall amounts rise markedly. The central Lakeland valleys and I am just within the category do ok, but not as good as further east and Pennine fringe. 

If we were higher up say 300m here we would have done very well so far this winter.. alas so far not so well, but that is down to synoptics.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow & Thunderstorms

Thought I'd signed into the historical thread there for a minute. 

For me i can remember as far back as the mid 80's.

As a kid it seemed like it snowed every Winter without fail, but the ones that stick out are:

Somewhere between 4 - 6 inches

Feb 91

Feb 95 or 96

March 2004 or 2005

Dec 2010

March 2013

March 2018

There are definitely others I've missed, even though it's dire here, when it does fall properly it ain't bad for being at the coast, it's just rather spaced out. 

Edited by Day 10
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms & Snow.
2 hours ago, Had Worse said:

Glossop is definitely not east Midlands. I go through there from Manchester to Sheffield. 

Posted
10 minutes ago, Day 10 said:

Thought I'd signed into the historical thread there for a minute. 

For me i can remember as far back as the mid 80's.

As a kid it seemed like it snowed every Winter without fail, but the ones that stick out are:

Somewhere between 4 - 6 inches

Feb 91

Feb 95 or 96

March 2004 or 2005

Dec 2010

March 2013

March 2018

There are definitely others I've missed, even though it's dire here, when it does fall properly it ain't bad for being at the coast, it's just rather spaced out. 

Interesting. 91 is not bad from an Easterly.

I don’t remember March 2005 though. I remember a snowfall in February 2006 which gave a few inches, (enough to build a snowman anyway) and then turned to rain.

Edited by Chris.R