Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

North West Regional Discussion 30 December 2020 onwards

cheshire snow

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: clear skies , hard frost , snow !
5 minutes ago, Manchester_Sunset said:

Still very fancy in Hale! 

Lovely part of Manchester - Cobham is like the twin of Hale !! You just replace Man U players with Chelsea ones ! 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer heat and winter cold, and a bit of snow when on offer

Some bright echoes crossing more northern parts of Lancashire at the moment, I assume it’s rain as you don’t often hear intense and snow in the same sentence in this region.

as for Thursday, sorry but I think our side of the Pennines will draw the short straw again with decent falls restricted to high, and not so high ground in North and West Yorkshire while we get a sleety mix or snow quickly turning back to rain.

Somehow we need everything to drop another 50 miles to the south and west but instead I just see a continuation of the form horse for the last few years of anything interesting always being just out of our reach.

apologies for the pessimism, I could blame COVID but I’ve only had that for a few days but have watched good weather pass up by for years.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms & Snow.
10 minutes ago, Badgers01 said:

Lovely part of Manchester - Cobham is like the twin of Hale !! You just replace Man U players with Chelsea ones ! 

I used to live in timperley for a while 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow, thunderstorms, warm summers not too hot.

Signs of the rain turning more wintry here with flakes mixed in. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer heat and winter cold, and a bit of snow when on offer
16 minutes ago, Frost HoIIow said:

Signs of the rain turning more wintry here with flakes mixed in. 

Looked to be some bright echoes over your part of the world.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow & Thunderstorms

There's the very cold Feb signal again, actually starting around day 7 so not la la land either. Other models now hinting at it too.

gfsnh-1-282.thumb.png.fcaa66c059b9bfef6cbf29cba52b576c.png

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines
1 hour ago, Badgers01 said:

No still based in Cobham ! But have acquired a pad now in Hale too  not as exotic as Prague ! 

Ah, I was being nosey. What’s Hale like? Quite a decent snow event here in Prague today, 5cm or so but temperatures hovering a tiny bit above freezing now so some slow dripping going on

• Like 1

Posted
1 hour ago, iand61 said:

Some bright echoes crossing more northern parts of Lancashire at the moment, I assume it’s rain as you don’t often hear intense and snow in the same sentence in this region.

as for Thursday, sorry but I think our side of the Pennines will draw the short straw again with decent falls restricted to high, and not so high ground in North and West Yorkshire while we get a sleety mix or snow quickly turning back to rain.

Somehow we need everything to drop another 50 miles to the south and west but instead I just see a continuation of the form horse for the last few years of anything interesting always being just out of our reach.

apologies for the pessimism, I could blame COVID but I’ve only had that for a few days but have watched good weather pass up by for years.

Its typical when things correct south they do but end up missing us and instead hitting the N Midlands as happened Sunday. When things correct north they do the same and miss us hitting Yorkshire and NE England.

Only time things seems to correct our way we end up with heavy rain. We are a magnet for heavy rain!

It's been a miserable drab cold day here, temps hovering around 3, intermittent light and moderate sleety rain. Dull dull drab drab miserable January Tuesday..

Edited by damianslaw
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: All
high-and-low-pressure.jpg
WWW.METOFFICE.GOV.UK

Surface pressure charts indicating areas of high and low pressure and a guide to interpreting weather data

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: All

If nothing else, the date and time will change on the top.

• Like 1

Posted
16 minutes ago, Had Worse said:

If nothing else, the date and time will change on the top.

Always the case... liking the general outlook though.. keeping positive for what next month could bring. If we only have it for a few days would still be nice.

• Like 1

Posted
18 minutes ago, damianslaw said:

Its typical when things correct south they do but end up missing us and instead hitting the N Midlands as happened Sunday. When things correct north they do the same and miss us hitting Yorkshire and NE England.

Only time things seems to correct our way we end up with heavy rain. We are a magnet for heavy rain!

It's been a miserable drab cold day here, temps hovering around 3, intermittent light and moderate sleety rain. Dull dull drab drab miserable January Tuesday..

Sods law really but you have to accept the reality that we live in a region where we get alot of rainfall but not much snowfall and that snowfall will be harder to get with climate change.

I did thought unlike the NE this region would do alot better with frontal snowfall but in the 5 years living down here, I have not experienced a true frontal snow event. 

Do prefer summer these days and I do now crave a strong high pressure with easterly winds as most of the time it delivers warm sunny weather. Storms are a bit hit and miss but last summer did deliver a fantastic storm. 

For all the cold this winter, it has never been deep cold uppers wise and Scandinavia has never been in deep cold uppers wise either and that does not look like changing for either. 

• Like 1

Posted
15 minutes ago, Geordiesnow said:

Sods law really but you have to accept the reality that we live in a region where we get alot of rainfall but not much snowfall and that snowfall will be harder to get with climate change.

I did thought unlike the NE this region would do alot better with frontal snowfall but in the 5 years living down here, I have not experienced a true frontal snow event. 

Do prefer summer these days and I do now crave a strong high pressure with easterly winds as most of the time it delivers warm sunny weather. Storms are a bit hit and miss but last summer did deliver a fantastic storm. 

For all the cold this winter, it has never been deep cold uppers wise and Scandinavia has never been in deep cold uppers wise either and that does not look like changing for either. 

I've still got my hopes for the coming future.. Only due to the fact that this years SSW was classed as a rarer and more extreme than usual, plus it can take up to 40 days + for any major change to occur afterwards so bringing us to Feb..  you never know, I'm not giving up just yet.  

Edited by SnowWatcher2
  • Like 1

Posted

Latest BBC forecast for Thursday is better suited for listening to rather than watching if it’s a snow fix you’re after.

he was quite bullish about snow chances over high ground including that in our region but the graphics showed little white this far south with most being North Pennines northwards.

that said though the area of white was smaller across the board than in the earlier forecasts but it’s all looking a bit borderline and certainly confusing.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cool & dry, with regular cold, snowy periods.
28 minutes ago, Geordiesnow said:

As a regular cyclist, it hasn't ever been that 'bone chilling cold'; in fact I've rarely worn my full winter outfit, as it's just never been cold enough. Still beats the mild, wet & windy greyness we usually suffer from. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow & Thunderstorms

Er yes please! Now that's a snow day!

overview_20210126_12_138.thumb.jpeg.b559e3956b74ce02ab98af6394d506ad.jpegoverview_20210126_12_141.thumb.jpeg.89229c2f8627d6181ac9240facf6d3cf.jpegoverview_20210126_12_144.thumb.jpeg.809357b1facbd5f49bc2e2f063cd99a7.jpeg

Edited by Day 10
  • Like 3