Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

North West Regional Discussion 30 December 2020 onwards

cheshire snow

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow, thunderstorms, warm summers not too hot.
51 minutes ago, Frosty the Snowman said:

Was a joke...

No problem I was merely just pointing out some interesting facts from the local area because after all this is a friendly regional thread.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: All

This depicts a snowman's chances this winter 

20210125_155645.jpg

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Horizontal Drizzle - Nice Blizzards

00z GFS still not playing ball for Thursday. More chance from the front pushing in at midday today albeit tops at 1200ft asl. 

C8EA8023-4BA9-459C-B1CC-9C9A142B1179.thumb.png.81684691449a8f37cdaded069ddb148b.png

• Like 1

Posted

Freezing rain over parts of Manchester 

Screenshot_20210126-060731_Samsung Internet.jpg

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, frosty nights, thunderstorms and the odd gale
7 hours ago, Frost HoIIow said:

If your old enough you'll remember that it wasn't always the case. In the 70s councils in the area merged and it became "Greater Manchester" but that doesn't mean someone in Oldham or Rochdale suddenly became a Mancunian. Some people objected to it here in Oldham because they didn't want to be referred to as Manchester. The Oldham accent is much different than a Mancunian one too. I grew up just off Hollins Rd and no one had a Mancunian accent that I grew up with. Interesting thing I've noticed is once your inside the M60 the accent from most people is clearly Mancunian. East of it it's not.

I've got relatives who live in Saddleworth. Part of Greater Manchester nowadays, but used to be in Yorkshire years ago, something I think they still insist to this day. As a result, they always used to say they were from near Huddersfield, not Manchester, even though Manchester is closer. You can imagine what I used to say to wind them up!

• Like 2

Posted

I LOVE telling people who claim they live in Cheshire or Lancashire that they actually live in Greater Manchester. I’m not being nasty it’s just quite entertaining. 

There are some people who live within the M60 (Heaton Moor for example) who claim they live in Cheshire. That’s stretching it a bit. 

Anyway it’s 1C/-1C at the airport and rain not far away. Ignoring other parameters, that temp profile would support snow. 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Horizontal Drizzle - Nice Blizzards
11 hours ago, Frost HoIIow said:

Yeah we don't want Yorkshire stealing it like a couple of weeks ago. Not that I dislike the area but I do get a bit apprehensive when I cross "those there hills" into uncharted territory. Don't know why...... But I'm a proud Lancastrian

Lancashire through and through - but I must admit York as a city has it's good points

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer heat and winter cold, and a bit of snow when on offer

Same here although I can walk into West Yorkshire in 20 minutes so pretty much borderline

• Like 1

Posted

There's a stone about 30 min walk from me that says welcome the 'Historic West Riding of Yorkshire' and displays the White Rose... but we haven't got one the other way saying welcome to the 'Historic East Riding of Lancashire' showing the Red Rose?....in any case I think they have their boundaries a bit confused and no doubt they will be receiving a council tax bill from OMBC.

Back to the weather... cold rain today, transient hill snow Thursday.

Edited by dodge
  • Like 4

Posted

Some bright echoes near Bacup, could it be snow?

Posted

Any snow reports out there? Radar shows a rain/snow mix. Some moderate stuff currently towards Heywood/Rochdale  .

Looks frosty out.. I wonder if we’ll get any flakes today.

Posted

Mix of snow and rain here. Problem is the temp is currently -1.2c. Rain is freezing on car windscreens. Hopefully its not doing the same on the roads ❄

• Like 1

Posted
38 minutes ago, Joe Bloggs said:

I LOVE telling people who claim they live in Cheshire or Lancashire that they actually live in Greater Manchester. I’m not being nasty it’s just quite entertaining. 

There are some people who live within the M60 (Heaton Moor for example) who claim they live in Cheshire. That’s stretching it a bit. 

Anyway it’s 1C/-1C at the airport and rain not far away. Ignoring other parameters, that temp profile would support snow. 

Yeah, all good natured fun of course. I can't remember which part of the previous lockdown it was, might have been when Manchester went into Tier 3, but it made me chuckle because people in Altrincham were shocked to discover they were part of Manchester. They all thought they lived in Cheshire!

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow & Thunderstorms

Quick one from me this morning.

This caught my eye for Thurs from the Met - Rainfall turns wintry into the morning, giving snowfall - potentially heavy over any hills.

Another step in the right direction. 

Have a good day  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted
7 minutes ago, Dexter said:

Yeah, all good natured fun of course. I can't remember which part of the previous lockdown it was, might have been when Manchester went into Tier 3, but it made me chuckle because people in Altrincham were shocked to discover they were part of Manchester. They all thought they lived in Cheshire!

LOL.

I grew up in Stockport and Stopfordians have a real bee in their bonnet about living in Cheshire. Emphatically writing Cheshire on their addresses like there’s no tomorrow. 

Made me laugh as where I lived (Heatons/Reddish) was north of the Mersey and historically Lancashire! 

Edited by Joe Bloggs
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - snow, Irish sea convection. Summer - thunderstorms, hot sunny days

Inversion is stronger than predicted yesterday. Increases freezing rain risk between 100 –300 m. Snowline 300 m falling 200 m for a time. Sleet to 100 m for a time.

ice pellets possible 50–200 M early.

• Like 2

Posted

Light sleety snow in past hour enough to leave a slight dusting. Not sure how today will pan out, suspect we may see some heavier bursts of wet snow under any heavy precipitation then turning back to sleet when lighter, a temporary cover may be the end result, but one of those frustrating events when we could have done with temps a couple degrees lower. 

The fells will have a further good fall.

This evening temps expected to climb so a thaw below about 400m. 

Tomorrow looks a drab nothing day.

Thursday, well I'll wait until tomorrow eve to discuss, but the trend seems to be to slow the front directly overhead.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer heat and winter cold, and a bit of snow when on offer
26 minutes ago, Had Worse said:

Some bright echoes near Bacup, could it be snow?

There were a few flakes of snow falling about 20 minutes ago which put the slightest of dusting on the parts of the drive  which was clear yesterday but it’s stopped again now.

at least it’s snow rather than mild, cold or freezing rain though.

Posted

Cold here again this morning, but grey and cloudy unlike yesterday morning. Few flakes of something in the air but nothing more at the moment. Forecast suggests precipitation of some sort shortly.

Like Sally in Coronation Street, many aspire to live in Cheshire and, as an Hon Cheshireman of 21 years standing, I like it here.

Tomasz Shafernaker is obviously heading for the same hair style as he had during the first lockdown. At least he needs something this time to help keep him warm. Sadly I shall never be able to achieve the same!  

• Like 1

Posted

The latest metoffice text forecast for the region seems pretty bullish about snow chances on Thursday, stating rainfall turning wintry, giving snowfall, potentially heavy over hills.

• Like 1

Posted

-1c got to -4c last night... hard frost which wasn’t expecting... freezing rain doesn’t inspire... quick pop to pharmacy for husbands med replenishment due to online cxxk up... then M&S... my little adventure out... making my mums minestrone soup  

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - snow, Irish sea convection. Summer - thunderstorms, hot sunny days

GFS still says only snow on Thursday will be 1500 m up in the sky. Hope it changes.