Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South West and Central Southern England Regional Weather Discussion Jan 2021 Onward

AWD

Posted
4 hours ago, Glenosnow said:

A low of -1.2C at midnight rose to a high of 5.7C at around 2pm,then dropped to -0.7C an hour ago......now slowly on the rise -0.3C.........I expect it'll be the same old story tomorrow..a few wet flakes if we're lucky.....let's hope next week will bring us something more wintry.....snow shield is doing a sound job....

We just need to sneak something out of these synoptics. Looks like plenty of boundary fights over the next week to fortnight and different areas could get some luck even down to Zennor.

• Like 1

Posted
16 hours ago, Bristle boy said:

BS34 - Dull, grey but bitterly cold this morning, 0c. Ok, 'only' 0c but the air feels arctic. 

I've been surprised to feel the cold air in the mornings. Looking at models I kind of feel like I'm gonna go out into mild mush but the air has felt freshly cold on a morn. Can bask on the bench at 10:30 if the sun comes out, but still.

Posted

Wind just picked up. Some downdraft. Those fat, yet floaty droplets that seem like (if they were 500 metres up) would be flakes (and probably are), are spotty rain. Recording 2M temp 5.2C Dew point 3.6C, SLP 1024.1 hectopascals literally 1 Bar fill your tyres.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold snowy winters, warm springs, hot summers, warm then stormy autumn

As pointed out, a sharp rise in temperature earlier this evening, here from -0.3°C at: 21:43... to 3.9°C at: 23:21

Quite breezy now with rain approaching from the west... 4.1°C

Posted

Morning All a wet and windy start to the weekend, in line with forecast, so far 6mm of rainfall, currently 6.8°C with a gusty wind in from the SW gusting 23mph...

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot sunny , cold and snowy, thunderstorms

All very wet here, 13.8mm and still raining. 

Temp 8.5c

Bog standard January day.

Posted

A low of 4.6c at 5am.
The wind changed to Southerly from midnight and since then has been 8-10mph with 14-18mph gusts.
Light rain started from 4am, 3.5mm total, just drizzly now.
6.3c, 1018.7 hPa, grey and cloudy, drizzle 

Posted

And the beach looks....quiet this morning...don't surfers prefer waves to a calm sea?

image.thumb.png.ec00070dc37c9b3ff5c683cca7976f16.png

Its been raining heavy for the last hour, but it looks from this the back edge is not far away..

image.thumb.png.049a924961489f6b613ce3fe8a6e5dd4.png

Edited by Dorsetbred

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Blizzards, Hoarfrost, Frost and Extremes

Heavy rain kept me awake for most of last night!  I don’t know how any snow lovers living in the South West cope every Winter, it would drive me crackers... 

Posted

Fairly steady temperature rise this morning of around 0.8°C / hr, if the cloud clears, I'm wondering how "warm" the south westerly air is at the moment, 10°C + maybe?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms /Snow

Morning all currently grey and dank 7.9C and rising after a low of 3.5C and 6.6 mm of rain.....hopefully the sun will make an appearance soon......so tempted to get back under that duvet ?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.
1 hour ago, Weather of Mass Disruption said:

Heavy rain kept me awake for most of last night!  I don’t know how any snow lovers living in the South West cope every Winter, it would drive me crackers... 

Expecting snow in the south from standard Atlantic driven synoptics is never going to end well.

If we could just get some cold air in for longer than 5 minutes, then any channel runners or sliders would give us the jackpot like 1st Feb 2019. This needs to start showing fast because otherwise the rest of January looks very similar to last winter.

Meanwhile... it’s sunny and quite mild at 7.5C after overnight rain.

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Fair to Foul...

Cloudy with some sunny spells. 8.9c Humidity 925 Rh.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winter, warm/hot summer with the odd storm thrown in

Wet this morning but it brightened up around lunchtime and this afternoon has been dry with sunny spells. 8.6°C

Posted

Yup busted the double digits, peaked at 10.7°C at: 12:50, this afternoon has been dull with a general layer of low cloud, oh well it is January, current temperature is 8.7°C, RH 84 % and a light wind in from the NW..the wind has however dropped out now..

Looking around at where  we are (in the UK) methinks this could be our delivery for winter. Anyway at least we not suffering from excessive rainfall, but it looks set fair for more rain this week, and look out to next weekend with a potential channel low, it currently looks (still way too far out to be sure) we have more rain Inbound.. however three days in the current situation is a long time. Ignoring everybody that talks 240hrs out, as it's a waste of space right now..

• Like 1

Posted
44 minutes ago, Dorsetbred said:

Yup busted the double digits, peaked at 10.7°C at: 12:50, this afternoon has been dull with a general layer of low cloud, oh well it is January, current temperature is 8.7°C, RH 84 % and a light wind in from the NW..the wind has however dropped out now..

Looking around at where  we are (in the UK) methinks this could be our delivery for winter. Anyway at least we not suffering from excessive rainfall, but it looks set fair for more rain this week, and look out to next weekend with a potential channel low, it currently looks (still way too far out to be sure) we have more rain Inbound.. however three days in the current situation is a long time. Ignoring everybody that talks 240hrs out, as it's a waste of space right now..

I agree. We need a channel low from an easterly in Dorset. I'm not fussed about transient snow or back edge risks as they rarely pay off. 2010 is where I'm at

• Like 1

Posted
1 hour ago, snowysouth said:

I agree. We need a channel low from an easterly in Dorset. I'm not fussed about transient snow or back edge risks as they rarely pay off. 2010 is where I'm at

Looking at the GFS 850hps forecast for next Saturday, it would suggest rain is the order of the day...

image.thumb.png.2e13e4f6b26d7c069abcebce1d3e1e47.png

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winter, warm/hot summer with the odd storm thrown in

Wet this morning followed by a dry afternoon with sunny spells. Reached 10.2°C, currently 7.3°C

Posted

A high of 10.8c at 1pm yesterday, 7c at midnight and a low of 5c at 7am.

Lovely blue skies this morning and bright sunshine.
WNW 6mph wind with plenty of 10-14mph gusts. Nicely pushing the washing line round
Now 5.3c, 1024.4 hPa.

Posted

Morning All, a bright sunny start to the day after an overnight low of 4.0°C at: 08:07, currently 6.8°C, with a light breeze in from the NNW, as the beachcam shows the clear sunny skies this morning with calm water..

image.thumb.png.dd746456e887a870dad14f2eea054b41.png

Edited by Dorsetbred

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms /Snow

Good morning,lovely sunny morning currently 7.5C after a low of 3.8C at around 9 am,a light wnw breeze and 73 % RH.

Can we squeeze any of the white stuff out of the sky later this week.....I just can't see it here...would love to be wrong tho,several weeks of winter left.....but we'll see.....☃️