Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model output discussion - Jan 3rd onwards

bluearmy
Message added by Paul,

Please stick to discussing the model output in this thread. For more general chat , please use the winter/cold weather/snow chat, banter, moans and ramps thread

For local cold/snow and weather related chat, please head over to the Regional Area.

Posted

Well this cold spell which started on Boxing Day in my part of the world looks likely to end 

some time next week after snow in some parts and frost.Charts have struggled after 144 hrs/168 hrs

so nothing definite with ECM yesterday showing northern blocking only to ditch it today.

We all still waiting with anticipation regarding SSW will it or won’t it,the proof will be in the charts.

Posted
4 minutes ago, mountain shadow said:

GFS Op really trying to get there

image.thumb.png.9ef3efea37f3e71c8fccfdb26be4153f.png

You can argue that we 'just' have to wait for a good ridge in the Atlantic to get the cold air. The tropospheric vortex is split in three parts. Impressive (to me at least) are the geo's (green area) at the North Pole.

• Like 4

Posted

Para with the impressive Arctic high just starting to drift towards our side of the hemisphere... This could help it join up with the Atlantic sector further down the line..

Looking forward to the MJO update later today. I remember it just taking off in terms of amplification through phase 6 and 7 in Feb 2018. 

Edit: close again at 264

gfsnh-0-246.png

gfsnh-1-264.png

Edited by Battleground Snow
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold in winter, warm and sunny in summer

I have a question for the members of the forum that understand about these things better than I ever could.

The effects of the SSW are yet to be seen, but the models seem keen to throw a wedge of PV into North America (potentially bad news for us). My question is this; is it possible that a wedge of PV could find it's way towards Scandinavia, and if so what would be the result, not just for us, but also the rest of NW Europe?

Posted
1 minute ago, Anti-Mild said:

I have a question for the members of the forum that understand about these things better than I ever could.

The effects of the SSW are yet to be seen, but the models seem keen to throw a wedge of PV into North America (potentially bad news for us). My question is this; is it possible that a wedge of PV could find it's way towards Scandinavia, and if so what would be the result, not just for us, but also the rest of NW Europe?

The gfs ops run i have posted above shows just that. Portions of vortex in North America AND Scandanavia with Greenland heights in between.

image.thumb.png.8bdda0cf0c9a753ec36989b57bdd83ba.png

• Like 1

Posted
4 minutes ago, Battleground Snow said:

Para with the impressive Arctic high just starting to drift towards our side of the hemisphere... This could help it join up with the Atlantic sector further down the line..

Looking forward to the MJO update later today. I remember it just taking off in terms of amplification through phase 6 and 7 in Feb 2018. 

Edit: close again at 264

gfsnh-0-246.png

gfsnh-1-264.png

In 2018 we saw a (near) record MJO phase 6,7. We won't get this kind of MJO this time. http://www.bom.gov.au/climate/mjo/

mjo.JPG

Edited by sebastiaan1973
  • Thanks 2

Posted
2 minutes ago, mountain shadow said:

The gfs ops run i have posted above shows just that. Portions of vortex in North America AND Scandanavia with Greenland heights in between.

image.thumb.png.8bdda0cf0c9a753ec36989b57bdd83ba.png

In my humble eyes we see that the low pressure systems can't get pass the Atl. Ocean due to things going on in the atmosphere.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold in winter, warm and sunny in summer
2 minutes ago, Turnedoutniceagain said:

Why is it ALWAYS two weeks away?

Because at some point we angered the weather gods, and we now find ourselves in cold purgatory. 

• Like 3

Posted

Para again brings the interest a little earlier at around 250.. 

I'm torn on the para.. one part of me thinks it should be better, updated code, better resolution etc.. however the flip is that it is parallel testing in essence... Do we have any verication stats or just views on how it is performing?

• Thanks 1

Posted
11 hours ago, Griff said:

Interesting but possibly not that significant to us? 

4 minutes ago, TSNWK said:

Para again brings the interest a little earlier at around 250.. 

I'm torn on the para.. one part of me thinks it should be better, updated code, better resolution etc.. however the flip is that it is parallel testing in essence... Do we have any verication stats or just views on how it is performing?

See my previous comment, good question though... 

• Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

Just the sort of charts that might persuade one to become one of The Tennamen... Shame they're so far out in La La Land, they ought to be put on the backburner?

h500slp.png    h850t850eu.png

• Like 6

Posted

Operational and para both showing the met office long term forecast of deep cold over Scandinavia with us just on the boundary, which is high risk, high reward in terms of frontal snowfall. It could be a rollercoaster over the next week or so in terms of model output, with loads of booms and lots of toys out of prams.

Edited by Battleground Snow
  • Like 9

Posted
13 minutes ago, Turnedoutniceagain said:

Why is it ALWAYS two weeks away?

Its not!! ..?........its usually 10 days but were going through a particularly tough time at the moment

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonal

Summary of the 6z GFS

Mid term - awful

Longer term - promising although still plagued with patchy European cold

We've had good synoptics that have failed to produce a flake where I live. Now they're declining we will have to endure a potentially very mild spell and wait, yet again, for things to improve. Looks like another poor January IMBY (and many other well-populated areas) for those who dare like seasonal weather but let's hope the month has a proper sting in its tail in the last 7/10 days and that continues well into February

• Like 2

Posted
18 minutes ago, That ECM said:

The two air masses are going to meet in the channel, perfect well done gfs. It’s also a south of the M4 event..

C79D2F3D-E855-4272-81DC-150AFA583451.png

04A04AD8-05D4-4B7B-9613-B0616A7EF9FC.png

4190AC7A-BA84-4471-9EDC-98383D0BBB79.jpeg

Unfortunately we would be back to marginality, which is not what most people on here want.  The air sourced from the north is always moderated to a point where people get frustrated, especially the southern contingent.  A step in the right direction though.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonal
22 minutes ago, Griff said:

Homeschooling and a very poorly geriatric cat, at bit like the models, could be going a bit better in South Oxfordshire today... 

My bias towards GFSP is going to prove sweet or very silly, yes FI

Wishing everyone a good day and happy model hunting

gfsnh-0-276.png

That's a stunner. The para seems like a dog with a bone on this. It won't let go of the idea of significant high pressure developments to our north and NW. Been like this for a few runs now. A real feather in its cap (that will be covered in snow and ice) if it proves right

Edited by LRD
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowfall
10 minutes ago, Battleground Snow said:

Operational and para both showing the met office long term forecast of deep cold over Scandinavia with us just on the boundary, which is high risk, high reward in terms of frontal snowfall. It could be a rollercoaster over the next week or so it terms of model output, with loads of booms and lots of toys out of prams.

Indeed so Battleground snow. It s the Meto extended made live. 

The risks are great but the rewards can be amazing.

• Like 4