Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model output discussion - January cold spell ending, what next?

Paul
Message added by Paul,

Please stick to discussing the model output in this thread. For more general chat , please use the winter/cold weather/snow chat, banter, moans and ramps thread

For local cold/snow and weather related chat, please head over to the Regional Area.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snowy winters and warm sunny summers
57 minutes ago, ThamesStreamer said:

Christ, look at the switch in the GEFS from the 00z (left) to the 06z (right). Must be something afoot to see such a pronounced movement in the ensembles from a crazy spread to a more confident outlook?

20210110_113037.jpg

20210110_113040.jpg

Christ indeed, even the good Lord must think the long suffering members on Netweather deserve a break. 

Its best to ignore single Stella runs like the 06z GFS para but you can't ignore such a clear switch in the ensembles which to be honest is remarkable.

Reminds me of mid February 2009 when the ensembles suddenly switched from very cold although with some scatter to a clear signal for mild. Sure enough mild won.

Andy

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything
1 minute ago, Cold Winter Night said:

The verification process of these models is a little bit more sophisticated than simply eyeballing a one month line graph of just one variable (500hPa heights). Tomorrow things might look different again.
Based on these data alone, the only thing you could say is that they are all extremely close.

Add to that the fact that we are currently in a situation with rare events and combinations of background signals and this might become a good test for the verification of all models in a complicated setup that includes both Troposhere and Stratosphere.

These have a 30-day sampling so have few issues in the context of a fair representation. 

Heights are a good choice as they pertain to amplification deviance and I have looked into when the ecm performs badly in the individual daily drops and they mostly relate to overdoing heights.

It is not the average over the 30-days per se, as you say relatively small differences, it is in the dips in verification which drags the average down from gfsP>gfs at d5, to gfs>gfsP at d10 (also ecm). Look for the dips and extrapolate that to the actual charts and generally the causal link is excessive height estimation by ecm (and I suspect gfsP).

eg 15 Dec d10 chart verified at 0.26 compared to the 30-day mean of 0.561 (ecm):

857733641_cor_day10_HGT_P500_G2NHX(6).thumb.png.4230c11e1fda8558d3d70281997ecee3.png

The d10 forecast and the actual day:

440335961_ECE1-240(1).thumb.gif.67b8f87f05c98f8fc47fbcb989508514.gifECE1-0.thumb.gif.cc6566e58dd96da8e6d0fcf68898d20d.gif

The forecast was for two plumes of heights, the reality was more trough dominated. Going from a UK HP to UK LP! Those two ridges much less amplified than the 10-day charts suggested.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold winters, hot summers

Again, those EC Scenarios are

spacer.pngspacer.png

spacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.png

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

Posted
2 hours ago, bluearmy said:

I currently have medium term starting at day 4 !  I do take your point ..... tbh, the output day 3/4 to day 6/7 is just noise at the moment.  Unreliable and nothing nice to look at in any case! 

Ecmwf 06z ever so slightly further west than the gfs 06z at 72 hours with the colder uppers!!!!assume the front is further west as well granted only a few miles maybe?lol

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow snow and snow
3 hours ago, Nick F said:

Yes, an Atlantic frontal system moving in from the west, bumping into a retreating cold high ahead of it over the near continent. Snow to rain event. Actually GFS similarly has the frontal system and developing low along it dropping SE into France, but without the preceding snow. May not be replicated on following runs though.

A la a 1979 forecast?

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish Plumes, Blizzards, Severe Frosts :-)
5 minutes ago, Timmytour said:

A la a 1979 forecast?

1979 will mean diddly squat to most new members on here..what happened in 1979??.hmmm..on second thoughts, don’t bother..

Edited by Jon Snow
  • Like 8

Posted
10 minutes ago, sheikhy said:

Ecmwf 06z ever so slightly further west than the gfs 06z at 72 hours with the colder uppers!!!!assume the front is further west as well granted only a few miles maybe?lol

It makes a diff to far ne eng and e Scot !  Certainly seeing a backing west of the front though exactly how big the swing can still be is open to question ....

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3

Posted
1 hour ago, Battleground Snow said:

I'm going to put a positive slant on its and say because it verifying better than the OP at 120, it has the cut off Low nailed 

cor_day5_HGT_P500_G2NHX.png

Has anyone got the stats that include the reliability of the ensemble means? I recall seeing them a couple of years ago and the ECM ensemble mean beat all other runs from D8 onwards?

Posted
1 hour ago, Met4Cast said:

As some have already pointed out, the GEFS 06z show a huge shift towards a colder outlook compared with previous runs. Not sure when the last time such a dramatic shift occurred, but 2010 stands out in my mind.

GEFS.thumb.png.8fce6bd74172cf907e869a8b1c1214f4.png

GFS Op is a clear outlier now. I would also put more weight in the GFS(P) simply because it has more vertical layers so should resolve any SSW downwelling more accurately. 

After a tricky few days, things are steadily improving towards a colder outlook for the UK. EPS means/clusters are strengthening the signal with each model run. 

We're reaching the "tipping point" where we start to see increasingly cold and blocked runs appearing in the mid-extended. Buckle up!

I can see the argument that the GFS(P) has more vertical levels and theoretically should be able to model the events in the strat more accurately than the existing GFS.  However, it's worth remembering that even the parallel has marginally fewer levels than the ECM.  So for those hanging their coats on the parallel, I'd be looking for some agreement from the ECM before climbing aboard. 

Posted

Sorry if this is common knowledge, but just for anyone who wished there was more ECM data to view, you can by simply going on the ECMWF website, they decided last year that more info would be freely available to the public:

APPS.ECMWF.INT

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

Posted

The JMA 06 hrs run at T84hrs has also shifted west and has a shortwave waiting to head se like the GFS .

Given the timeframes involved we should know by this evening whether the new trend is correct .

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Tornadoes ,Hurricanes, Snow, Winter weather
13 minutes ago, Jon Snow said:

1979 will mean diddly squat to most new members on here..what happened in 1979??.hmmm..on second thoughts, don’t bother..

I think its similar to the 1837 forecast. Just clearing that up for you 

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

A fair amount of scatter in today's 06Z temperature ens... Though the operational is not an outlier, it is substantially warmer then most other members:

t850Bedfordshire.png    t2mBedfordshire.png

And the NH profile is still headed in the desired direction:

npsh500mean-006.png    npsh500mean-120.png

npsh500mean-240.png    npsh500mean-384.png

As an aside, does anyone know of any verification stats, that pertain to SSWs?

Edited by General Cluster
  • Like 6

Posted
2 hours ago, Tim Bland said:

X rated

C8E49FF9-CFD3-42C5-B047-E4ABA384BDD8.png

Nice scan...hope the baby looks that good after the birth!

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything
18 minutes ago, Man Without Beard said:

Has anyone got the stats that include the reliability of the ensemble means? I recall seeing them a couple of years ago and the ECM ensemble mean beat all other runs from D8 onwards?

They stopped the reanalysis of the mean in 2019 sadly, but yes the mean was far more reliable post-d8.

• Thanks 1

Posted
1 hour ago, Waterspout said:

The v16 code was actually signed off and approved back in May 2020 by the Ops Director. This Parallel running October to the end of this month is purely “IT” related. The actual verification improvements were assessed by EMC based on the previous year’s initialisation data to evaluate performance compared to v15.

They won’t pull the code on a project that started back in 2019, on those Stats you published for the 3 week period you illustrated. This is the new and improved code, even if it’s an overall 1% increase, it’s still improved after extensive testing on long term previous starting data spanning a longer period than those weeks you highlighted.

I didn't actually offer any statistics.

But you are right. I meant to add one other comment, which was that verification over the past month might not match previous stats and they must have been monitoring for much much longer than just the past month...

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and Thundery, Cold and Snowy

Morning all again. You’d think the runs would be a bit more sobering, but they really aren’t! 

I do think we are overdue a Feb 1991 or January 1979 style cold spell, and have not seen an opportunity like this so early on in the year for some time. Maybe the first time ever since setting eyes on these models. The BFTE started this way but of course it was mid February by the time the fun charts were coming out. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Posted
32 minutes ago, Timmytour said:

A la a 1979 forecast?

twas a bloody cold winter i know was working on a 21ft open all yesr round ferry

• Like 1

Posted
24 minutes ago, Jon Snow said:

LOL.... possibly my favourite experienced weather event! TV weather showed  westerly winds spreading east melting the snow that had fallen. I went to bed with a heavy heart. listening to the dripping of melting snow.  When i woke up there was six inches of snow...overnight the progression had been halted in its tracks and pushed back.  I'm hoping what we are seeing  in the models will provide that same impetus to push back anything approaching from the west.   

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Blizzards in winter Hot and sunny in summer...other is simply boring!!

Hi all,

great analysis in here over the past few weeks! Not often I reach out but as a novice in the interpretation of the models can someone sum up in leymans terms and explain to me what is going to happen around the 20th Jan ? I am just confused by the models ....and the GFSP is adding to it!

much appreciated!

D

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow then clear and frosty.

Quite a few posts have been moved here guys

Just a reminder just keep to current outputs and discussion in here please,Thanks.

• Thanks 2