Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model output discussion - January cold spell ending, what next?

Paul
Message added by Paul,

Please stick to discussing the model output in this thread. For more general chat , please use the winter/cold weather/snow chat, banter, moans and ramps thread

For local cold/snow and weather related chat, please head over to the Regional Area.

Posted
Just now, Battleground Snow said:

I'm not sure how it has topped it's earlier run but it somehow has! Snow in earlier too.

gfsnh-1-234 (1).png

You could have had an extra 4 hours of sleep... 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

Now that's what I call 'close'... Just clipping the left-hand upright!

h500slp.png    h850t850eu.png

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy November to March and Sunny and warm April to October

Those uppers on GFSp minus 10c widely!

gfs-1-240.png

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and frost in the winter. Hot and sunny, thunderstorms in the summer.

The deepest cold over Scandinavia would never make it across to the U.K. under that set up. It will simply blow up a deep low in the North Sea. However with that spinning around along with sub -8c 850s, it will get the job done with frequent showers and longer spells of snow (especially on windward coasts).

The beast would require that Arctic high to drop further towards Scandinavia and as such allow the coldest air to push through Central Europe.

Edited by Captain Shortwave
  • Like 9

Posted
20 minutes ago, MKN said:

Medium term? Id say fairly near term as Its already a fair bit different to the 00z at just +96. Models are certainly struggling atm. 

I currently have medium term starting at day 4 !  I do take your point ..... tbh, the output day 3/4 to day 6/7 is just noise at the moment.  Unreliable and nothing nice to look at in any case! 

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, frost and snow
6 minutes ago, SLEETY said:

WTF moment coming up on gfs P ,historic cold spell if it ever verified

Well one of the models has to see the right outcome eventually, let's just hope it's the GFS P.

It's the one model showing any real consistency at the moment, whether it's consistently right or wrong we'll eventually find out!

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extremes

Although I like the output, I think GFS(P) is inconsistent after T+192. I'll have to check back and see if it goes low res at some point.

Edited by Notty

Posted
8 minutes ago, That ECM said:

Imagine

67E636BB-4B1D-4E5C-8AE8-1E4FB4C8BCE8.png

I might be wrong, but with the current SSW and more warmings to come. I just can't see the vortex becoming quite that strong.

Edited by NewEra21
  • Like 2

Posted
Just now, DIS1970 said:

A lot of hope rather than expectation at the moment, any forecast beyond 5 days is completely unreliable, as this is the UK & forecasts are just like an elastic band. Seen this over the years, so just not worth stressing over them at the mo, as there may be  - i hope not, a fair amount of disappointment.

Very true, we need to be very grounded still, but the cut off low happens (or doesn't happen) at 138 now. It would be very likely we get some kind of Atlantic / greeny / Arctic link up if it does.

• Like 2

Posted
3 minutes ago, ICE COLD said:

OMG the para is the holy grail . 

EBA85094-74C6-432C-B1BF-A26A9BC15C05.png

7518E7A6-0176-489D-96ED-0E46C37C7D1D.png

It's consistency has been something special over the past few runs, almost identical.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extremes

Off topic I know but I think I'm going to hibernate for 5 days - my nerves can't take it 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental climate, snow winter, sunny summers

Rarely post but have lurked for over a decade, so thought I’d add my thoughts for once!

Strikes me that we have a recurring issue, the alluring promise of GHP in +200 hour charts on the GFS, but which never come to fruition.

Once we get down into the more reliable range the models pick up on disturbances in the GIN corridor, particularly the S Greenland area, this then prevents the Greenie High & the U.K. gets left with a toppling high or stuck with a trough on or around the U.K. 

Im yet to see anything in the models today to suggest this issue is going away. What’s causing it I’ll leave to the experts - SST’s, global warming ?? Perhaps models struggle with energy distribution until nearer the time?

If we can overcome this then something like the GFS (P) has shown today is quite possible, big IF though sadly!

• Like 6