Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model output discussion - is the beast awakening?

Paul

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: 30 Degrees of pure British Celsius
7 minutes ago, North East Blizzard said:

GFSP is great for all, chalk and cheese to the original GFS

gfs-1-162.png

What is GFS (P) verification like within 7 days?...still seems very knife edge stuff.

• Like 1

Posted
3 minutes ago, DavidS said:

GFS 6z Op was top of the pack. Graph is for London

3A205011-681D-48E9-8BE7-8B81A60F950B.png

Good as hoped for. 

PS can I request light green member for this afternoon GFS dealer..

Tia

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, frost and snow

This is for Suffolk. Not quite as good as you'd like to see, but still plenty of colder runs in there.

Second thoughts it's not bad at all, I'm just becoming too greedy and looking for that -10 line

ens_image.png

Edited by NewEra21
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Atlantic Storms, Snow, Snow and more Snow!!
Just now, Froze were the Days said:

What is GFS (P) verification like within 7 days?...still seems very knife edge stuff.

Tbh I'm not sure, i Don't have a link to the verification stats. You would like to think its better than the Gfs, seeing as it's meant to be replacing it, i believe. 

At 186hrs, the whole country is still bitter

• Like 1

Posted
Just now, North East Blizzard said:

Tbh I'm not sure, i Don't have a link to the verification stats. You would like to think its better than the Gfs, seeing as it's meant to be replacing it, i believe. 

At 186hrs, the whole country is still bitter

Believe its been quite wobbly also.. Had its good and bad days, like every model does.. But think GFS still has better verifying stats than its new replacement.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Atlantic Storms, Snow, Snow and more Snow!!
2 minutes ago, Updated_Weather said:

Believe its been quite wobbly also.. Had its good and bad days, like every model does.. But think GFS still has better verifying stats than its new replacement.

Good test for it here then, its a belter of a run. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, frost and snow

Wasn't the GFS P the first model to pick up this potential easterly, it's been showing this pattern for well over a week or so now. And bar the odd wobble, it's consistency has been very good!

Edited by NewEra21
  • Like 4

Posted
1 minute ago, Updated_Weather said:

I've never taken notice of Parallel.  Simply because it's in test and we don't to my knowledge have visibility of what testing conditions it's running ubder. For example it could be a tweaked ensemble member?

• Like 1

Posted
33 minutes ago, Updated_Weather said:

Whose that? Someone who knows what they're talking about or?

John Kettley is a weather man, a weather man, a weather man. John kettley is a weather man and so is Michael Fish   ( A tribe of Tofffs circa 1988)  (sorry Mods - couldnt resist)

• Like 2

Posted
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet
27 minutes ago, lewis clark said:

I see your point,it's been pretty accurate for me in the past for wind but just seems all over the place at the moment. Just wondered why this was does this reflect the models at the moment being all over the place? Does xc use the gfs? Cheers lewis 

Xc updates to the most recent GFS run. It reflects the poor 6z GFS even here.

21 minutes ago, WeatherWatchmanG said:

Looking at met office and bbc vs metcheck it's like two different planets. Met office and bbc showing dry in the south and metcheck showing 1.1cm snow.

Met office/BBC use their own models/Euro. Met check uses low Res GFS.

• Like 3

Posted

6z  doesn't look good. Even ignoring that. The mild air is still far to close for comfort in the SE. A small shift and we will tap into it. We usually find a path to warmer air down here.

Edited by Robbie Coldrain
  • Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hoar Frost, Snow, Misty Autumn mornings
9 minutes ago, Froze were the Days said:

Actually improved since I last checked. But it's still a case of the ECM then everything else:

Day 6

cor_day6_HGT_P500_G2NHX.png

Day 8

cor_day8_HGT_P500_G2NHX.png

I'm not sure any of this really matters in the current situation though because, as you say, it's on a knife edge. Slight variations in the extent of the med ridge have big implications for the cold advection into the UK. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Posted

This is still a seriously good cluster for London.

There are going to be ebbs and flows over the next 24 hours which always happens in these situations. 

I fully expect the met update today to add very cold back into the text.

The macro picture looks set over the next 7 days, micro details are going to change.

I missed this earlier in the excitement, but that is some deep cold over the states and Canada next week.

gfs-london-gb-515n-0e (1) (3)~2.jpeg

ECN0-192.gif

• Like 9

Posted
3 minutes ago, Updated_Weather said:

i'll take that xD

gfs-1-210 -00z.png

gfs-1-204 -6z.png

So para goes from Grinch to happy days and production GFS goes the other way. 

With para how we be sure it's a full operational run we are seeing and not a tweaked ensemble member as part of testing conditions?

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: continental climate
4 minutes ago, daz_4 said:

As a central european I give up. GEFS now flipped to mild completely in the next 7 days. 

0z vs 6z

image.thumb.png.542ccfb6f9c8a33cf735e45d043215df.pngimage.thumb.png.822af92647cad0bbc77b84f7192fcd44.png  

It never looked on in my view for our locations. The extended forecasts have gone from bad to worse. The main culprit being EC extended last week which showed good portion of Europe going well below average week 08-15/02, an overreaction to SSW, now the forecast has adjusted to above average that week. This is not going to be February 2006,1929 or 2018,more like recent ones I am afraid. Even favorable pattern for western Europe cold is like 2-3 days window, enough to excite folks in UK,but us in central Europe who will once again endure disappointing winter,perhaps slightly less then last one as we had like 3 spells of 5 day colder regimes. For me when I see SE Europe high pressure that is enough not to get carried away by few GFS runs,that show cold diving to central Europe, I think it was never on cards, this EPS us as ugly as it gets

ps2png-worker-commands-8b495bd5d-jg4l4-6fe5cac1a363ec1525f54343b6cc9fd8-I_tiNt.png

• Like 3

Posted

No question that the 6z GEFS set is a downgrade compared to the dizzying heights of the 0z and 18z - both in terms of the mean and the number of members going very cold (-13 to -15 850s). Plenty of good cold options in there still though so no reason for despair 

• Like 2

Posted
58 minutes ago, lambgregg1977 said:

That's potential avalanche Snow depths in the Highlands. Good grief! 

Avalanches are pretty common in the Highlands, as are huge volumes of snow, however wind re deposition of snow is far more responsible for vast build ups of snow in certain areas which are more likely to cause avalanches than just a uniform snow fall

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything Extreme

This is always how a potential cold spell in a computer model doesnt come to fruition.

Tell tale signs of a watered down version of what could have been often shows up in the ensembles, first as a few 'errant' runs, then you see more and more runs showing a less cold solution and before you know it you are back looking at 240+ for the next opportunity.

Until the 12z runs come out later Id say were at that initial stage where certainly more than a few 'errant' runs are showing us how anyone south of scotland could once again miss out.

The 12z will I think go one of two ways and will probably tell us which way this is likely to unfold as regards to the weekend.

It will either step away from what it was showing (as it has done this morning) or it will step back.

Tbh in this sitation a middle ground between the lovely cold and snowy charts it has been churning out for the last few days and what its showing now wont cut the mustard.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1