Thunder?
Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

Scotland Weather discussion

Paul

Posted

I think we had the rain. Short deluge but hopefully begin to clear this hot crud

Posted

Just trying to finish the shed build and a storm fired pretty much over the top of us,  core slightly to the east.  Rumbles every few seconds which was nice but slowing down a bit now in frequency 😀

Edited by Ross B
  • Like 3

Posted

Just had a decent rumble sitting outside a pub in central Glasgow ! 

[edit] 

incoming 

0E7D18C0-18F9-4DBF-BAEA-93647B21B9F2.jpeg

Edited by skifreak
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: well it depends.. just not haar!

Nothing here at all yet. Husband said torrential rain up around Lauder. It's gone very still though, so something coming.

Posted

We got a bullseye with the east coast storms in N.W Edinburgh earlier ,  heavy rain for about 45 mins and near continuous thunder for 20 mins , at the same time low cloud still drifting of the North Sea 

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: SNAW

Boring here... 2 mins of drizzle, not a single bit of thunder or lightning.. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, gales. All extremes except humidity.

A lot of thunder off to my West just now. Anyone from Perth around?

edit. Getting closer!

Edited by Norrance
  • Like 2

Posted

A bit fresher this evening after the storm this afternoon.Took a run up A9 to deliver grain samples this evening.On A96 earlier flooding had washed off topsoil onto road and I see one of the Tescos in Inverness had its roof collapse with the deluge along with Vue cinema. Will need to over engineer these roofs to cope with excess rainfall. Saw some photos online of approaching storm showing shelf cloud with one comment that it looked more like storms they had seen on the continent.

With the cloudy evening the countryside looked very autumnal with brown grass and a lot of trees starting to show their autumn colours.Realise this is a result of all the dry weather we have had

• Like 8

Posted
9 minutes ago, snowlessayr said:

Currently watching a thunderstorm over the Ayrshire coast, fantastic light show 

I can see a few flashes out west now,  if it wasn't so late I would go for a walk up the hill to see them better! 

The west Lothian storms look fun, just saw some videos on Facebook with some frequent lightning - haven't seen a good night storm for years. 

3 minutes ago, snowlessayr said:

Little clip of the lightning off the coast of ayrshire

Great capture! 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny in summer, cold in winter.

Flash bang here in Falkirk 😁

9 minutes ago, snowlessayr said:

Little clip of the lightning off the coast of ayrshire

Fab little clip @snowlessayr

Edited by snowidea
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted

I’ve got a good view of the lightning to the east. Some very bright flashes though not as frequent as the August 2020 storm. The area between Glasgow and Edinburgh appears to experience thunderstorms quite frequently. 

It’s been a lovely spell of weather - easily the best in August since 2003. Four days of temperature above 25C and a lot of sunshine There were very few clouds on Thursday followed by a fantastic clearness night - perfect conditions fur watching meteors if it wasn’t for the bright full moon. Yesterday morning had some low cloud cover abs a bit more haze the past few days but this has been the best spell of weather of the summer - better than the exceptional two day wonder in July.

The second half of summer has actually been quite decent for once after a pretty awful first half. The models don’t look too great for Scotland going into the second half of August but this time of year it always feels like summer is on the way out. Perhaps we’ll get some more decent late summer weather before the month is out or even in September. Regardless of what’s to come this August will stand out to previous years thanks to the weather of the past week. 

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snaw, Snaw and mair Snaw

I'am watching the most beautiful light show for many years...long streaks of lightning bouncing around the clouds...deep bass of the thunder reflecting of the hills.

• Like 3

Posted

Got no piccies, but it's been a tad insane out Livingston way. Went through a period of distant weak flickering, so son and I wandered out into garden, carefully, for a good view. Just got there when the transformer about 20 metres from us got a strike and we hit the deck fast. And that explains the no piccies- we were too busy crawling on our hands and knees back indoors. This cell blew up out of nothing over Sanquar. After that it was constant lightning. Looking at a number of maps for lightning and none of them do it justice. Best lighting activity in years.

Edited to change Symington to Sanquar, I got lost...

Edited by Fiona Robertson
  • Like 9

Posted

Quiet so far here.  Not even any rain made it but I wonder if we might get something overnight.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: Warm/Dry enough for a t-shirt. Winter: Cold enough for a scarf.

No rain and only distant thunder/lightning at work in Hamilton. At home on the south side of Glasgow seems to have had 2 direct hits.

Posted

Hands down the best few hours of lightning activity for the last few years here, storms over the coast and then storms popped up to the north east towards the Kilmarnock direction. Had no idea where to look at one point, loved every second of that 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snaw, Snaw and mair Snaw

Its quite intense...a few close strikes almost instant thunder and very loud bangs...amazing to watch and hear.

This spot is directly on top here...

Capture.thumb.JPG.6d5195fbd4a359f1a0e8ef1068441ee6.JPG

• Like 3