Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?

Posted

Worst storm here for some time, big tree down in the garden and slates off the roof. Power went off at 9 o'clock and it's snowing horizontally!

I think it's safe to say winter has arrived. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme Events

I don't post here often but that was a really intense line and felt worthy of a video. 

The puppy didn't know what was going on and had to take a look for herself, but our older dog knows not to go out when I'm having a look at the weather. 

We are Northallerton by the way! 

Edit: it's only posted the sound and not the video! 

Screenshot_20211127-003311.png

Edited by Formula_1_Fan
Missing video
  • Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Storms, and plenty of warm sunny days!

You can tell the 'storm' is in the North, if it would of been in the South/ South East, the Netweather servers would be in a data melt down, it was ever thus!

• Like 8

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and snow but not together

Gusting a bit now down south.. Newbury. Only reason I know as next door left their recycling out and all I can hear is the box rattling around and dispersing it’s contents across the whole street ( their drive is shared with mine and of course their bedroom is out back facing south and so won’t hear a thing - mine faces north .. ) 

I think this is a bad as it will get, all dry atm - think we have had a bit of sleet.. not like up Narf.. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes

Not heard winds as bad as this here in a while. Was a constant roar at one point and the last time I heard something like that was Feb 2014. 

I've heard bricks tumbling somewhere in the vicinity and numerous snapping and banging noises. 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: severe storms,snow wind and ice

i was going to say earlier "Ar-wen"am i going to see some action from this storm!

The wind is picking up here now,..i have wet snow falling and lightning to my NW,what an eventful day,...well morning

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: severe storms,snow wind and ice
On 27/11/2021 at 04:02, Hirudine said:

Snowing properly here in Brum right now, though I think the ground might be too wet for it to settle.

The ground is never too wet,...i have wet surfaces here but the snow is settling

if the dew points are low enough the snow will settle.

• Like 4

Posted

Still snowing up here with strong winds and just had a short power cut

• Like 1

Posted
8 hours ago, Snowyowl9 said:

Unusual direction severe gales is going to cause more damage to normal..

image.thumb.png.97b216bb6a5bc9c24e1ce53497b8e348.png

I think this has been a big factor in the amount on damage as it's blowing hard in a direction that isn't common, so alleyways etc that normally escape the SW/W/NW gales might now be wind tunnels.  I noticed it here as my bedroom faces kinda North and East, so most storms this side of the house is silent...not last night! haha. The noises were hideous last night, going for a check to see if there is any damage in a bit.

• Thanks 1

Posted

Worth noting this current observation, top of a mountain but still ... 

Cairnwell (935m asl) __ -6 C, winds N 122 km/hr g 170 km/hr, probably blowing snow and wind chill -20 C. 

Peak wind gusts there 187 km/hr around 2300h. 

Peak wind gust that I spotted on the animation closer to sea level was 126 km/hr at Boulmer around 0100h, a speed equalled at Malin Head, Donegal earlier in the night. On the 0800h obs, the highest that I see is 113 km/hr at Loftus. Some gusts in a similar range in coastal Wales and Lancs also. 

Winds are relatively moderate in Lincs and east Anglia close to the centre of Arwen now, but will gradually pick up to exceed (gusts of) 110 km/hr by mid-day or afternoon. The storm will be in a weakening phase by this evening when the strong winds finally reach southeast England, would expect some gusts to around 80 km/hr there, possibly reaching 90-100 in exposed coastal locations. 

• Like 1

Posted

Met Office reporting highest gusts at Brizlee Wood, Northumberland, at 98mph. It seems good verification of many of the short res models, then, which predicted 90mph winds across a localised area and with a small amount of altitude. 

I believe there is a manually reporting station at Berwick upon Tweed, will be interesting to see when figures for that station come in.

Edited by Man With Beard
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Not too hot, excitement of snow, a hoolie

Had a drive around, fair amount of damage this morning. East Lothian council are out clearing up. Trees down, tiles off and damage below. Bus shelter on its side and bins all over the place. A1 was still shut at 0830 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

Posted

East of Glasgow and I cant recall hearing the wind roar like that for some time.  Could hear it hammering on my door with the chain rattling for a good two to three hours.  This normally doesnt happen due to the position of my front door, although I think due to the unique position of the storm in the north sea the isobars had the winds going  like the @ sign , affecting areas that are normally naturally protected. I'll need to see figures but a sustained gust of 45-55mph would not surprise me.  Only mild precipitation, but made feel much worse  by the wind.  Current temp 2° sky clear, reckon that is the end of it.  Was good to enjoy instead of the usual banal zonality we are used to.  Bring on the next one--preferably with snow included!

Edit:Checked UKMO, highest recorded gust was indeed 55mph, however that's at Glasgow Bishopton-which is some ten miles west from here.  From that I'd hazard a guess my location may well have saw 60mph.  Cheers folks

Edited by jmp223420
Added information
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, severe gales, heavy rain and alpine climates

Destruction widespread overnight here on the Northumberland coast, roof damage to our house, trees down, cars damaged by debris, power cables popping etc etc 98mph was officially recorded closeby at brizelee nr alnwick, be interesting to see when the Boulmer and amble reports come in if there are 'upgrades'.....twas a long night.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Posted
1 minute ago, recklessabandon said:

Destruction widespread overnight here on the Northumberland coast, roof damage to our house, trees down, cars damaged by debris, power cables popping etc etc 98mph was officially recorded closeby at brizelee nr alnwick, be interesting to see when the Boulmer and amble reports come in if there are 'upgrades'.....twas a long night.

Sorry about your roof but glad you are ok and not too many injured people by the sounds of it. Good job it came so late in the day.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and Thundery, Cold and Snowy

Glad everyone is ok. Seen numerous pictures of trees down and power line damage on the Wirral and in the NE. Very rare to see the winds that strong from a Northerly. Some incredibly rough seas off Eastern Coastal areas, and the waves are getting up big time now in North Norfolk. I hope we don’t see a storm again like this too soon. The damage and misery far outweighs the joy and thrill of meteorology. 

• Like 2

Posted

Speaking to my relatives back home in Dundee and Kirriemuir and there is debris all over the place.

My sister has been without power since 4pm yesterday. 

Christmas turkey that was in the freezer will need eating tomorrow!

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield

Wind not a problem here but the weight of the wet snow bringing small trees down. Max gust 46mph however the sonic recorded 91 mph and wet snow introduced reading s two low for the analogue Anemometer until 98:15 when the breeze managed to remove from the cups. First time that's happened.

Winds did reach force 6 yesterday evening  before easing towards midnight.

Edited by The PIT

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Love heat & thunderstorms, but hate the cold

absolutely nothing yesterday, had mix of cloud and sun but no rain and had beautiful star display at night. This morning it's wetter but nothing out of the ordinary with little to no wind. 

• Like 1

Posted
26 minutes ago, mountain shadow said:

Speaking to my relatives back home in Dundee and Kirriemuir and there is debris all over the place.

My sister has been without power since 4pm yesterday. 

Christmas turkey that was in the freezer will need eating tomorrow!

That’s a good idea, bring Christmas forward as you get the feeling we are heading towards something that looks bleaker here than at present.

Noticed those stronger winds on the East Coast have pushed a tad further south. Can we expect winds to pick up here this afternoon in the SE quadrant as the low heads south? 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heat, Snow, Thunder

Wild night here with rain and ice pellets turning to snow sometime around 3am. Left a decent covering which is now horribly slushy. No met office warning for snow here, or indeed anywhere in Yorkshire other than the Pennines, despite there being travel chaos with the M1 being closed near Rotherham due to the snow. Its still very blowy out there now and rather cold to boot so I am refusing to get out of bed!20211127_072553.thumb.jpg.14e406df7fa4d42b801f62eca69dbade.jpg

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Not too hot, excitement of snow, a hoolie

After my circuit this morning

bus.jpg
WWW.NETWEATHER.TV

A look at local damage and VIDEO roundup from Jo Farrow. The clear up begins after Storm Arwen, a wild night.

• Thanks 3

Posted

These are definately the most severe NNW gales I ve seen.

3 crests came crashing off the roof middle of the night.

A few branches half a pine tree blown.

And down the road I ve never seen nothing like it as the wind caught the trees,12 across the road telephone post snapped off with wire all along the ground...That road will be blocked for some time.

• Thanks 1