Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Not too hot, excitement of snow, a hoolie

Our local FB page is full of fences down, big tree blocking a lane. A1 is closed and no trains so transport is in chaos. People stuck away from home possibly overnight. Roofs damaged or slates down, a chimney fallen . Escaped Trampoline of course and recyling bags/bins. 

And it is still roaring out there. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Posted

lets not forget. data shown for things like wind gusts and weather conditions are given by weather stations. it might not be the case ten miles down the road from the station that is displaying data that the conditions are the same   

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: windy

Someone lost a bit of roof on my street (it's those old metal sheet style roofs) still pretty unusual though. The winds haven't gone much above 55mph so it just shows how much difference an unusual wind direction makes...

Edited by Ross90

Posted
4 hours ago, Polar. said:

The highest gust ever recorded in England E & NE was 107 mph, 17th December,  1979 at Lynemouth (Northumberland). I wonder was it a similar scenario to this? I can't find that chart.

Unrelated but looking at the record gusts for each region I was surprised at NW England. 101mph is the maximum. Thought it would be higher. East Anglia has lowest record at 100mph.

Scotland 142mph

N Ireland 124mph

Wales 124mph

England 118mph

Here's a link to the chart for 17 Dec 1979 from the archives on wetterzentrale ... looks to me as though those would be west to northwest winds, the low is tracking generally west to east as you can see if you click on various other times. 

https://wetterzentrale.de/reanalysis.php?map=1&model=noaa&var=1&jaar=1979&maand=12&dag=17&uur=1800&h=1&tr=360&nmaps=24#mapref

-----------------

Just wondering also, are there storm surge warnings for later tonight in areas around The Wash and Norfolk? I would think there might be some fairly severe inundations even if the storm is then in a weakening phase with this NNE wind direction. 

(edit) Another UK storm that featured very strong northerly winds (in parts of northern Scotland) was around 7th Feb 1969. Kirkwall in the Orkneys had a gust to 118 knots (source: Monthly Weather Review). Here's a link to that chart. 

https://wetterzentrale.de/reanalysis.php?map=1&model=noaa&var=1&jaar=1969&maand=02&dag=07&uur=1200&h=1&tr=360&nmaps=24#mapref

Edited by Roger J Smith
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and Thundery, Cold and Snowy
Just now, Roger J Smith said:

Here's a link to the chart for 17 Dec 1979 from the archives on wetterzentrale ... looks to me as though those would be west to northwest winds, the low is tracking generally west to east as you can see if you click on various other times. 

wetterzentrale.de/reanalysis.php?map=1&model=noaa&var=1&jaar=1979&maand=12&dag=17&uur=1800&h=1&tr=360&nmaps=24#mapref

-----------------

Just wondering also, are there storm surge warnings for later tonight in areas around The Wash and Norfolk? I would think there might be some fairly severe inundations even if the storm is then in a weakening phase with this NNE wind direction. 

Another UK storm that featured very strong northerly winds (in parts of northern Scotland) was around 1st-2nd Feb 1969. Here's a link to that chart. 

wetterzentrale.de/reanalysis.php?map=1&model=noaa&var=1&jaar=1969&maand=02&dag=02&uur=0600&h=1&tr=360&nmaps=24#mapref

There aren’t any at present. Probably because it hasn’t coincided with spring tides. I’d still expect high seas nevertheless, although nowhere near as bad as it could’ve been. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

The wind has gone from blowing a gale to next to nothing in about half an hour. Very strange how its suddenly dropped

Edited by Summer Sun
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold.snow.
2 hours ago, ChezWeather said:

Is the LP looking further West than originally thought? 

yes.i think it is.had some snow earlier in mid devon

Posted
1 minute ago, Summer Sun said:

The wind has gone from blowing a gale to next to nothing in about half an hour. Very strange how its suddenly dropped

And for all the people looking into the future at the models, your observation just about sums up how fickle the weather is

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: windy
8 minutes ago, Mapantz said:

Here's an OGIMet list of top wind gusts:

703325348_Screenshot2021-11-26221115.thumb.png.54509412738130c7e861fe4119367ea2.png

Not really that high, away from high ground nowhere really went much over 80mph and the more populated areas were in the 65-75mph range.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summers Snowy Winters Stormy Autumns

Has been significant here in perth judging by amount of trees and debris everywhere, what is probably doing the damage is the mean speed. The constant wind is something I have rarely experienced... the noise was constant whilst out walking the dog with no let up in a 20 minute period. 

• Like 1

Posted

As noted by Summer Sun the central portions of this storm have an area of slack winds, would not call this an eye feature because the circulation is not that well organized near the centre, but as that slack area moves south into Yorkshire it will expand somewhat which may result in a longer interval of diminished wind speeds as long as you are close enough to the centre of the low, further west this lull in wind speeds will not be a factor. Once the low moves far enough south then places experiencing this drop in wind speed will see a rather rapid increase and probably to higher gust values than before the lull set in. 

Then also I would note that the storm undergoes some reorganization overnight while generally moving south along the North Sea coast, the area of very strong winds following (now hitting north Durham and Tyneside areas) will have a tendency to moderate until late overnight but then a second phase of strong winds can be expected for the Lincs and East Anglia counties with a return to stronger gradients for a while, mainly from 0600-1200h. I would seriously suggest a storm surge warning for parts of the east coast as a result even if astronomical tides are relatively low. This storm will have built up quite a fetch of high seas by then. 

• Like 3

Posted

I'm an old newbie at this but what would the effect be of the storm centre tracking slightly W of forecast - if that brings it slightly more overland would that diminish the effects?

Thanks

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk

Latest UKV has diminished wind speeds for down here later in the period.

All very strange today, wind forecasts for this location have been miles off, still are now.

Turned in to a pleasant evening.

Posted

No really exceptional windspeeds at recording stations yet - we may never know if 90mph was achieved on the coast near Berwick Upon Tweed. Boulmer is probably the best station to compare windspeeds against. Many models (the ones that feel more reliable that is) have this coastal area peaking around 1am at somewhere between 80 and 90mph.

I've learnt tonight which models are rubbish at short term windspeeds - UKMO was one of them!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, severe gales, heavy rain and alpine climates

Truly wild on the Northumberland coast now (near Boulmer) branches and all kinds hitting the windows. We have water coming through our roof, and no idea where my weather station sensors are. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Posted
2 minutes ago, recklessabandon said:

Truly wild on the Northumberland coast now (near Boulmer) branches and all kinds hitting the windows. We have water coming through our roof, and no idea where my weather station sensors are. 

Good luck with your roof and I hope that the water doesn't cause too much damage!

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, severe gales, heavy rain and alpine climates
29 minutes ago, Kiwi said:

Good luck with your roof and I hope that the water doesn't cause too much damage!

Thanks...the wind direction is a major factor as well as strength....most farms and villages in this area are designed to resist westerly influences, so we are really exposed to northerly winds - particularly tonight.

Now into the realms of exploding power lines..

Edited by recklessabandon
Updated
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1